_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Revell Stug 40 f Waiting for the paintjob
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:37 AM UTC
Here is one "Between the projects" Project that I`m doing while I`m waiting for my sculpting clay to arrive so I can start sculpting my soldiers for my Arnhem dio.
But on to the subject of this topic. This is a revell kit that I purchased a time ago on a IPMS meeting. On this same meeting I bought the PE set from edouard. This is my first PE project so it might look a little bit crappy.
The barrel stilll needs to be fixed to the hull and the tracks with wheels still have to be fixed (working on that now).
Well up to the pictures then let me know what you think of it

All the pics can be viewed on this link
Stug 40 F

cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:02 PM UTC
Robert,
It looks good so far. I am working on my first pe project (M5 recon) and have a question. Did you use any special tool to bend the pe? I notice a basket-type object on the hatch.
Chuck
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:26 PM UTC
Well to be honourst (hope I spelled that right) with you.. In the beginning I used nothing more than my fingers.

On the background I hear a complete group of Armorama soldiers scanding "BARBARIAN"

but I screwed it up a little bit so I went to the toolshed of my father and found a couple of very small tweezers or pliers?? don`t know the exact name for that
( for the dutch people that come to this site.. Please translate the word "tang" for CFBush it`s a bit late at the moment and I`m am tired)
If you want to know what I really used just wait on another dutchman and he will translate it for you (toch jongens??) because this stupid b@stard doesn`t know the name for it

This is all I can help you now for the moment It`s not that much sorry

Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:31 PM UTC
Everything looks good for your first PE attempt, even if there isn't much of it.
The build looks clean and accurate but how about some more detailed and closer pictures?
Nice Work,
Andrew

FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:46 PM UTC
Yeah I know Oberst

Thanks for the comment oberst

the fact that there is just a little PE on it is because the tools that are normally on it are not fixed yet. That`s for later on.

about the pictures... Well I have to find that out on the host where I put my pictures. It`s shutterfly and in one strange way they always make the pictures smaller than if they were uploaded from my computer. In fact from all the pictures was the longest side exactely 600 pixels wich is actually quite big.
don`t know the reason for that still have to find it out

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:54 PM UTC
Faust,

Nice work for first attempt, I really like the battle damage you did for the fenders.

Is this Revell one a rebox of DML's?

Keep up the good work!
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 03:49 PM UTC
Faust:
I think you're doing really well here with your PE. I'll second the motion on the battle damaged fenders (nice touch).

Personally I don't like working with PE at all, but I have found that a couple of simple single edge razor blades, (obviously be careful, they're sharp), make excellent "tools" for bending PE parts. Use one blade to hold down the PE at the point of the bend, and use the other blade as the lever to bend the PE part to the desired shape.

But you really don't need this tip as your model is looking great. I look forward to seeing pics after you are done. Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:49 PM UTC
Thanks guys for all the good comments

Oberst the kit came with the revell box but I have heard from the guy of my local hobbyshop that it`s the reboxed DML version.

I had PZKFW 3 from revell wich was actually a rebox of DML also and from what I can say is that the quality was good so far.
the PZKFW 3 was just built OOTB and no PE because it was just detailed quite good.

same with this STUG 40 F very detailed good fitting kit for a nice price (I had it for a bargain)

and wewillhold thanks for the tip on the PE bending I`ll try that on a later model

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 10:09 PM UTC
my friend, I too am doing my first lot of PE (GMC-CCKW with #7 wrecker set) and I am using a short - 6 inch steel rule and a flat razor blade with only one edge. Hold down with the ruler and lift with the blade. In tight spaces I use a pair of tweezers with a flat blade. Your model looks good and it's nice to know there are others out there that are new to PE.

Cliff
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:34 PM UTC
Good work Faust !
Now you're gonna want to use PE everywhere !
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:06 AM UTC
Well cliff I`m sure that you and me are really not the only ones there have to be more out there. As far as I can say about this PE experiment is that I`m quite happy with it and that I will try different techniques in the future.

And Penpen thanks for the good comments.
probably I will use PE now where-ever I can though I like it more to scratchbuilt those things.
with plasticcard or copperfoil but I think some things can`t just be scratched so than the PE comes in handy

herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi Robert

Looks great.
I'm finishing the Revell rebox of the DML PzIIIJ.
I think I have the same kit you've just built on the shelf.

I am slowly entering the PE world too. I don't want to use too much because it is so fragile once attached. I paint with a brush, so that will be a challenge!!

How is the Arnhem dio proceeding?

Andy
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 05:43 AM UTC
Way to go so far looking good!!...Hey guys if you are all really thinking of using PE alot I would really suggest you invest in a hold n fold ..They make them in 2 different sizes but once you have used it ...it is awesome ...What isn't awesome is the price and the six month waiting period to get one!! They were really well.

Richard
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:11 AM UTC
Yoh Bear

that hold and fold how does that look like?? and what is it made from??
because it has to be real special if you want to pay much money and wait very long for it

let me know

FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
Sorry herberta I forgot to answer your post

The PZKFW III J is that the version with the short barrel and long small barrel as second option?? If so than I built the same version as you and I really enjoyed the built of it. the tank was very well detailed and I just builded it out of the box came out great. made a DAK dio with it.

ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:21 AM UTC
Looks great Robert.......The metal for the handles really make it look cool..
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:52 PM UTC
I am going to jive in and say nice use of pe not going crazy with it like our buddy oberest(andrew) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
Brandenus Pimpus
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 03:37 PM UTC
Good to know that those Revell kits I ahve in the closet have to potential of looking so good!

Keep up the good work.

Dave
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 03:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry herberta I forgot to answer your post

The PZKFW III J is that the version with the short barrel and long small barrel as second option?? If so than I built the same version as you and I really enjoyed the built of it. the tank was very well detailed and I just builded it out of the box came out great. made a DAK dio with it.

Yep, Pz III can be either made into a 50cm L/60 barrel and another shorter one, can't remember the L/number for it. Anyway, if you are making the L/60 one , be careful, because the kit barrel is too short.
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 05:37 PM UTC
wow looks great, very nice piece of work there.Im also trying PE for the first time on an ac, I like it and will definately use it again
Bender
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert,
It looks good so far. I am working on my first pe project (M5 recon) and have a question. Did you use any special tool to bend the pe? I notice a basket-type object on the hatch.
Chuck

Chuck---contact Gunnie. He put me onto an outfit on the West Coast that produces two types of PE benders. It is marvelous and I swear by it not at it......you'll love it!
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 03:32 AM UTC
Check out the local hardware store for PE bending tools. I got a set of 5 (6?) miniature pliers of different types for about $20. One has flat jaws, a square tip, and square sides. I love it for bending parts. I also use a long needle-nose, flat jaw one for handling parts and those little bends. I use it instead of tweezers these days. For those in the US, check out the Sears tool department. I think they call them "electronics pliers".
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hi Robert ...I haven't got a picture of it but what it is is 2 pieces of metal that are held together by 2 screws...one side is bevelled at a 45 degree angle and the other side is at a 90 degree angle .. You put the piece of PE in on the side you want and tighten it in place and using a razor blade you bend the piece up and to the shape wanted ...There is also a piece that has indentes in it so that if you are building a box you can bend more than one side with out the other side getting in the way ...I wouldn't go without mine anymore !!Makes nice sharp bends.

Richard
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 11:09 AM UTC
cant understan revell charge more for an italeri rebox but less for a dml rebox? and here in the uk evey revell kit I bought always has a funny smell to it!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 12:11 PM UTC
I usually built them.

And I`m not dating with it :-) :-)
so I don`t bother too much about the smell mikeli125

But The kit was purchased in a bargain so I paid less then normal same with the PZKFW3
I bought from revell

_GOTOTOP