_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
windshield wiper marks
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:14 AM UTC
how do i make wiper marks on the windshield, as if the vehicle had passed through a dusty road?

my guess is to cut a semi-circle in the masking tape to simulate the wiper arc... but how would you do the dust? light airbrush? pastel? or is there a different method?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:21 AM UTC
Your guess is right on the masking tape and I just make up a thin batch of Tamiya Buff or whatever color the dirt is meant to be and I AB it lightly holding the AB a far way away from the model.

Cheers
Cliff
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your guess is right on the masking tape and I just make up a thin batch of Tamiya Buff or whatever color the dirt is meant to be and I AB it lightly holding the AB a far way away from the model.

Cheers
Cliff

ah.. i thought so... thanks cliff!
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:14 AM UTC
Mo,

Will it be a vehicle that has a window washer system? You don't indicate era, so I'm assuming it's a possibility.

I bring this up because all the the "dusty" wiper "wiped" windows that are portrayed never seem to have clear/clean/wet marks where the window washer left marks on it.

Think about driving your car on a wet dirty highway - you get behind a car and use your washer. What happens after you stop wiping? Invariably, there are "streaks" of water that follow down where the wipers wiped and at the bottom where the fluid was "pushed" down by the wiper.

I distinctly remember this in my HMMWV in the first Gulf War......windows get dusty, hit the wiper and washer, and after, the "clean" lines in the dusty window.

Just a thought. Realizing that a couple of millimeters in 1/35th (?) scale are minute, I imagine they'd be visible on a close up inspection. Detail: kinda like not boring out the barrel on a gun.

Mike (++) (++)
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:16 AM UTC
The way i did mine was also using the masking tape but instead of paint, i use the matt clear coat and AB it. Once dry, just apply one layer of buff filter over it. When the filter dries, it would give an uneven look to it simulating the dust and dirt settling on it.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Will it be a vehicle that has a window washer system? You don't indicate era, so I'm assuming it's a possibility.

I bring this up because all the the "dusty" wiper "wiped" windows that are portrayed never seem to have clear/clean/wet marks where the window washer left marks on it.

Think about driving your car on a wet dirty highway - you get behind a car and use your washer. What happens after you stop wiping? Invariably, there are "streaks" of water that follow down where the wipers wiped and at the bottom where the fluid was "pushed" down by the wiper.

... i see your point mike... btw i'm doing a ww2 1/35 truck, so i assume they don't have window washers back then?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
This was discussed before. The WW2 era US vehicles didn't have a liquid resevoir -- so the very stark clean/dirty crescent areas in some models seem unlikely to me. I like the idea of using just a flat coat, very lightly.

I think modellers like the clean crescent area because it looks "cool".
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The way i did mine was also using the masking tape but instead of paint, i use the matt clear coat and AB it. Once dry, just apply one layer of buff filter over it. When the filter dries, it would give an uneven look to it simulating the dust and dirt settling on it.

err. what's a buff filter? can i use pastel or AB'ed buff paint instead?

...that's a great tip for creating the 'uneven' look.... thanks!
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 11:09 AM UTC
Jimbo I think Jeremy (Jazza) was refering to a super diluted mix of buff for the buff filter. I've actually tried something similar and it does give a more realistic dirty look as opposed to an even film of dirt you get when you use just A/B alone.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This was discussed before. The WW2 era US vehicles didn't have a liquid resevoir -- so the very stark clean/dirty crescent areas in some models seem unlikely to me. I like the idea of using just a flat coat, very lightly.

I think modellers like the clean crescent area because it looks "cool".

Roy I don't do it because it's cool but because even in WW2 it rained occassionly and by using the wipers it left a clear bit where the wipers swept. You don't need washers to get that same effect any water will do and here I talk from experience due to none of the vehicles in my youth having had windscreen washes fitted.

Cheers
Cliff
cbreeze
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
Greetings,

I am new to armor but just tried this on a Tamiya Jeep that I finished. I cut the mask from the glue side of a post it note and sprayed Testors Dullcoat over the window. I sprayed real light coats to get the look I wanted and it turned out really great. The hardest part was cutting the mask and finding a suitable mask material. I wanted sharp edges for the clean areas and the post it notes worked best for me.

This technique adds a really nice weathered look and is not hard to do.

Chuck B.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jimbo I think Jeremy (Jazza) was refering to a super diluted mix of buff for the buff filter. I've actually tried something similar and it does give a more realistic dirty look as opposed to an even film of dirt you get when you use just A/B alone.

yup thats spot on. it has to be super diluted in order to have an "uneven" spread of buff over it but diluted enough to be able to see through it still.

This was how mine turned out.

AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
The speed of the vehicle has a good bit about the windshield pattern left by the wipers. Driving my 5 ton wrecker around the tank trails in Grafenwhor without a washer looks very different than my Ferrari after doing 85 on the interstate. OK! So, I don't own the Ferrari, its a 95 Volvo! But, the edges would be less sharp and there would be streaks down the roof and the sides of the car.

The question would be was the Hummer doing low speed patrols in a dusty enviorment or running at convoy speeds on the highway?

If the wiper blade was getting old there would be a streak or two in the pattern, like a rainbow.
 _GOTOTOP