_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Phantoms?
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 04:39 PM UTC
Some may remember Robert Beebe. He was the moderator for the Axis portion of the Armor/AFV forum. He left without any notice or goodbye - nothing, if you look him up his last forum visit was July 8th 2005 Robert Beebe. I think Staff_Jim had made some announcement that he had to step down for some reason or another, blah, blah.
I knew Robert as well as I know any of you, however, while he was here he was very nice and helpful. An active member like that is always a plus.

Here is why I am saying all this - I saw him here last night logged in:

I fired off a PM to him simply asking "hey! are you back?"

Here is another screenshot later on- he is not on the list now:

I did this to make sure he wasn't like pernamently logged in (as in he forgot to log out or something) - my question is:

If he was logged in why wouldn't that show up on his profile? Shouldn't it say last visit to forums March 3rd 2006? Do you have to actually post something to show that you were here? Why do you guys log in? I only log in if I am going to: A. post B. reply to a post C. access a forum that requires you to log in otherwise there is no need.
I never got a reply to my PM. Oh well.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 04:49 PM UTC
Holy Moley, I knew Gary BeeBe died, but not Robert also..... That's a shock.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 04:51 PM UTC
Sorry, my mistake, thought it was Gary..Whooops..Jim
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 04:53 PM UTC
OK... I can slow down the pacemaker now.....
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 05:00 PM UTC
Lol. :-) :-) :-) I paid a visit a few years back to 'somewhere' I used to 'work'. They were all looking at me a little strangely. I found out they had all heard I'd died some time ago. Always wanted to be a ghost. :-)

Vinnie
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 05:17 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

I dont know if this is an ok subject to post, but as a newish member who finds that Armorama is more than family orientated in its approach to both the membership who visit and enjoy a communion based around our hobby and not really knowing anything about bandwidth and similar I have a question.
Jim from peoples comments and the obvious respect that is shown when long term members pass over, would it be possible as a mark of our respect to have a small page that is a 'wall-of -honour', not as something that is morbid but more to celebrate the memory of our friends whom we share time with on the site?

I hope this is not an inapropriate suggestion but one made from my feelings as to Armorama.

John
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why do you guys log in? I only log in if I am going to: A. post B. reply to a post C. access a forum that requires you to log in otherwise there is no need.

why log out and waste all that time logging in again next time. You are only really logged in when you visit the site again. As no one else very often uses my computer and those that do are trusted family members then I see no need to log out.

cheers
Cliff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 05:37 PM UTC
I rarely ever log out, only when dumping cookies, or I want to check and see what a non-registered visitor sees.
Since Armorama is my home page, it may appear I'm here a lot more than I am, as I don't know how often or fast that refreshes, and sometimes I'm on a drive by to do some other stuff.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 06:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If he was logged in why wouldn't that show up on his profile? Shouldn't it say last visit to forums March 3rd 2006? Do you have to actually post something to show that you were here?

His appearance showed he visited the site and did not go to the forums.
Quoted Text

Why do you guys log in? I only log in if I am going to: A. post B. reply to a post C. access a forum that requires you to log in otherwise there is no need.

Like most of us, I stay logged in all the time. I can't understand why you would bother to log in and out unless you use a public computer.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 08:40 PM UTC
Maybe it has to do with the "refreshing" thing.

Sabot, for example, does not show up as being logged in @ 5:07 am cst March 4, 2006 - but he does show being logged in @ 10:17 pm cst on the 3rd. Mr. Roo doesn't show up on either time.

I visit Armorama from home and work. I log in and out of stuff at work all day - if I stay in w/no activity the respective system kicks me out and then I have to refresh the browser and log back in, etc. I do the same w/Armorama. I know I won't get kicked out and have to log back in - it is just following a habit I already have established from work. I like to know who is here and who isn't I don't want to give someone the impression that I'm on the site and accessbile when I am not. That's just me.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:30 PM UTC
Oh goodness... I guess I have to explain the login tracking thing again.... :-)

This are the possible steps...

1. User logs in - a permanent cookie is written to their pc with their userid and logged in status.

2. User travels around the site. Intermittently their status is checked and cookie verifies they are logged in. It also updates their timestamp in the sessions data to show their last activity.

3. User leaves site (does not logout), another user triggers a page where the user display is shown at the bottom of the site. This process checks to see if all users in the session table in the database are still active. If the user has not been active in 30 minutes they are removed from the "who's online" display.

----------- alternately --------------------

1. User logs in - a permanent cookie is written to their pc with their userid and logged in status.

2. User travels around the site. Intermittently their status is checked and cookie verifies they are logged in. It also updates their timestamp in the sessions data to show their last activity.

3. User uses the logout function and their cookie is deleted and their session data is removed as well so that they immediately disappear from the "who's online" display. They now show up as a guest.

I hope that clears up the mystery.

Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe it has to do with the "refreshing" thing.

Sabot, for example, does not show up as being logged in @ 5:07 am cst March 4, 2006 - but he does show being logged in @ 10:17 pm cst on the 3rd. Mr. Roo doesn't show up on either time.

There's a difference between being logged in and at the site. I stay logged in, but as soon as I leave the site (exit IE or go to another site), I no longer show up at the bottom. If I enter the site again, I show up at the bottom. But I am still logged in and don't need to go through the sign in process.
 _GOTOTOP