_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Bring back the " last weeks" post option?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC
Jim,
I was wondering why you removed the "last week" tab when you want to look back at post. You have "yesterday," and "past 24 hour" but you took away the "last week" one.

On the weekends, its hard for me to get to a computer, especially when I am away on my drill weekend like this past weekend. So, on Tuesdays when I come in to work, I like to catch up on what I missed.
It was just easier to click on the "last week" tab.

Just wondering.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 07:26 PM UTC
Pete,

I believe it's Due to the Server change..... the casche is no longer that big......
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
Actually it was more the drain on the database. The "Latest Posts" page is somewhat of a resource hog as it is, and being able to call up the last 1200 active topics over the past week is a bit of overkill. I would suggest instead just using the forums as that is really how they are designed to be used. In other words each page only queries 10-50 topics so the overhead is kept lower.

Thanks,
Jim
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:11 PM UTC
Roger that Jim!

drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually it was more the drain on the database. The "Latest Posts" page is somewhat of a resource hog as it is, and being able to call up the last 1200 active topics over the past week is a bit of overkill. I would suggest instead just using the forums as that is really how they are designed to be used. In other words each page only queries 10-50 topics so the overhead is kept lower.

Thanks,
Jim

Hai Jim,

From this thread I suppose that the page is dynamically produced each time a user requests the information.

A suggestion. Is it not possible to make the "yesterday", "last week" and other resource consuming pages on a servertime basis instead of on request?

I would propose that the page is dynamically produced once, stored in a table and fetched each time a user requests it.

I have done something like that on another site (work related). I have now an object that sits between the user request and a few time consuming internal processes and queries.

The handler processing the user requests concults this object. If the object decides that the info in its dbase is still current enough then it immediately replies, otherwise it excecutes the original time conuming query, stores it in its dbase and gives the correct answer to the request handler.

This makes that some queries are only excecuted once an hour/day instead of with every user request.

It saves a lot of time and nobody notices

just my 0.002 cents

ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 04:45 AM UTC
How about last 48 hours?

Paul
 _GOTOTOP