Hosted by Darren Baker
Has anyone tried this..............
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
That topic title makes everybody curious. Anyway, I was looking through my Scenic Express catalog and noticed all of the expensive static grass applicators which use electricity to make the grass stand up. Here's my question.........has anyone ever used a balloon to make their grass stand up? After the grass is spinkled into place, if you rub a balloon on your head (if you have hair ) and hold it over the grass, the static electricity should pull the grass upright.

If this has been discussed before, please forgive me, but that suddenly struck me as a good possibility. What do ya'll think?

Patrick
majorme
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 687 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:00 PM UTC
yes that could work. but all the grass that is not glued on solid sticks to the baloon(hmmm how do you say that #:-) #:-) ). that would be very hard to get off...
ill give it a try!

greetzz martijn
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:35 PM UTC
Yes this has been discussed before- probably 2 years ago though - so no big deal.

I have tried a balloon, I have tried a silk tie over a pvc pipe, I have tried a 2 liter cola bottol, and none work very effectivly or over a large enough area to make it worth my while.
JohnHobson
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:11 PM UTC
What i do is to use PVA glue on my base and add the static grass.

Knock all the excess grass so it can be used again.

I keep a bit of scrap wood/cardboard etc and put some PVA spread as thick as on my base - this helps you judge how sticky the glue is and it can be tested without fear of messing up your base - it is also a good indicator for when the glue is fully dry.

When the PVA is just about to form a skin (so the top layer is no longer sticky) i turn my base upside down and rest it on a couple of paint tins (where there is no grass/PVA covering) untill the glue is totally dry - overnight is good.

The grass naturally hangs vertically so, when the glue is dry, and the base is the correct way up, the grass sticks up.

The base can be angled also to achieve a windswept look - flat grasslands or beaches etc.

Hope this helps,

John
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:46 PM UTC
I keep my static grass in an old plastic cheese package (jar type, not tub type) with the shaker holes on the top. Shaking it a little before sprinkling on the base inparts a good static charge, I then turn the base over, tap the bottom, and return right side up. Usually 90% of the grass is standing, and the stuff that fell off is put back in the container.

I also use Scenic Express Matt Medium for glue, it's cheap, premixed, and I'm old and too lazy to play with mixing white glue and water...... nice part is it dries to a fairly Matt Finish when dry.
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:47 PM UTC
hey John that is a really simple and straightforward technique, I will try that on my base when I am adding the grass, thanks for sharing that
 _GOTOTOP