Jackhammer81's house
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi Mick

Been out of the loop for a while on the site due to work commitments 14 hour works days so not had much time for the Hobby.
However i have found the way this thread developed very interesting.
I feel if we step back and and look how this started we might put a handle on it.
From the previous posts regarding this build it was done as a kind gesture to a fellow modler,for no charge other than to help some ore out and get pleasure from doing it.
I think perhape you could have worded your initial post some what different,perhaps in the way that Shermi put it , as to being curious as to why the windows were left out at this stage.
Cheyanne has posted many times regard a large scratch build dio that he is undertaking and he has had critique which he has taken on board and in fact made changes even if it has ment starting again with certain buildings.
I feel the comment "not to put a damper on festivities" was un called for and i feel set the mood of responses
I feel i have to say that cheyanne is one of the niciest guys you could know and this is a Hobby that some of us do after working long bloody hours it is a release and at times for me a theraputic r from the rigors of life.
Cheyanne builds things the way that he wants to the way that some sulpters start with the feet and not the head.
Perhaps if you had started your post with ....Thats a different way of doing a building is there a perticular reason for doing so,i felt that was not critique but but some what provocative .
As you stated you have been scratch building for many years and have your own company,you do it to make money ..cheyanne does it for the love of what this hobby gives him.
After spending 17 years as a police officer in the UK i did learn many things one was diplomacy, only being armed with a piece of wood and a funny hat made you develop those skills very quick .
This i feel is fun site with a great bunch of people always willing to help .
This is what Ceyanne sent me when he knew i was going to make a civil war dio and he paid the postage
Just my 40cents Cheers Chris

cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:02 AM UTC
Kevin, guys, a little more progress on the house, only had today to work on it.
Sorry about the window thing . I prefer [ in this build ] to put the windows in later because I want to create the innards first and not be locked into having them where I might want to do something else. I don't know if that makes sense, but thats how I did it .
The stone foundation has openings because I want it that way. I've seen Russian houses and farm buildings built on stone carins [ sp. ? ] on only four corners of the building and I am trying to give it that look.
Kevin, I built the roof as - removable so you can better paint the insides.
Oh and last I spoke to Kevin, we decided to go with a straw roof, the final battens and frame work are not complete yet. The straw will only cover a little of the roof so to show the insides and from what I am to understand a brass bed.
I am always willing to listen to constructive stuff, just don't tell me how to drive ..... I'll get there.
Thanks fer lookin.
Cheyenne

tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:32 AM UTC
Hi Cheyanne
Lookig good,very much like the idea of the roof ,will give a great sense of depth to the dio when being viewd.
After seeing Kevins prep work on his dio i feel it will link in the dio well i also feel that by you doing the building you have given Kevin a window of oppourtunity to complete the vehicles and figures......sorry i could not help myself :-) what is life without a bit of
Happy modling to all may the the Hobby be with you your scapel stay sharpe and your bulb always bright
May all your gods go with you
Cheers Chris
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:44 AM UTC
Ken .. what the heck do you mean ??? ..... l.o.l. ......, no really what the heck do you mean.
All the floorboards being the one length ?
If thats what you mean than yeah I thought about that too and figured after putting rugs,[ Kevin said he's got a brass bed he's doing ] etc. I didn't think anyone would notice , kinda like a short-cut type thingie.
Or if you mean the gaps by the wall by the fireplace, that will be coverd by a piece of base moulding.

And thanks, guys......
Chris, Chris, Chris, .... thanks
Cheyenne
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 09:06 AM UTC
L.O.L., Ken, don't give away any trade secrets, the next side job floor I do for a friend of a friend may be a modeler.
My next door neighbor wanted me do her flooring for her, so I bid only a dollar a sq under going rate - thinking she wouldn't bite, but she said go ahead and then told me how much she wanted put down and I just couldn't refuse.
Then she tells me she picked out a nice hardwood - Bamboo, hardwood Bamboo ? When it came I took a piece and ran my thumbnail on it and it left the nicest [ deep ] crease and suggested everone remove their shoes in her house.
Now her husband makes jokes about dropping a pretzel on the floor , cause it might leave a mark.
He's happy he gets to tell her I told you so alot to her . l.o.l.
Cheyenne
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
Cheyenne, i love it from the foundation up! as for the wood floors slats, if they need to be cut to length I can do that as well as make the nail holes in them. I need to get some new mini drill bits so i can get this brass bed finished for it. And now you have me thinking about furniture Anyway great update, I really appreciate it man. Cheers Kevin
Sherman_67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 203 posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 06:50 AM UTC
I like the house I really like it and if you were going to put a door in where would you put it why I want to knows this becuase I'm going to build the same house for me and I want a door and how did you build the roof. If you could PM me how you did it and I won't tell anyone with out you telling me so

Matt
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 04:48 PM UTC
Matt, thank you very much.
If you look at my first post , first pic. , there is a photo of a Tiger in front of a house, on an easel, right side photo.
The front door will be on the wall of the inside corner of the short L part of the house.
Matt, the dimensions are roughly, 8" on the long back wall, 61/2 on the fireplace wall, the L shape you can freelance to any size you want within those two measurements I have given you.
For God sakes don't tell anyone cause I'm building this for Jackhammer81 l.o.l.
Ok now, the roof beams are started with a center ridge-line beam, everything 45 degreed off of that.
I use balsa blocks and assorted shapes at hand to use as a jig for drying after wood gluing.
Patience and time are everything, also making sure everything is square and straight.
I have to go to work now but when I get home I'll post a pic of just the roof so you can use it as a visual template.
I really have to p.m. Slodder and ask about doing articles, as I'm very computer illiterate and also have trouble making myself understood [ injecting my brand of humor ] without insulting anyone when talking on a computer.
Cheyenne
Sherman_67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 203 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:51 AM UTC
Thanx a visual template would be great and for my roof I'm going to put a thin layer of blasa wood over the frame then put wood strips over top

Matt
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hey drumthumper,
Wheres the love buddy??
Sherman_67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada