_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Supply Trucks
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 05:33 AM UTC
In a convoy how are the supply trucks loaded? Are they loaded with all sorts of different things such as fuel, crates, ammo, food etc. Or is each one stacked with a lot of 1 or 2 things suchs as fuel, and food?

For the AFV Club M35, the tarp over the back, how can I make it look more realistic, instead of the plastic look it has. Make the supports fro copper wire and put tissue paper over the top. The water/glue method?

Tanks,
Mike
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 06:07 AM UTC
Mike,

The fuel would be on a seperate truck than the Food stuffs Clothing etc......

HTH

Matt
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 06:22 AM UTC
You don't mix food / water and fuel / oil in a truck. You don't want to contaminate the first with the second !
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 08:10 AM UTC
The fuel/oil and ammo went on different trucks to the food and clothing.

Cliff
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 08:52 AM UTC
Ok thanks guys. So I should put Ammo and Crates on one truck. Food and clothing on another, and fuel/oil on the third?

Mike
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 11:50 AM UTC
i say, if your not happy with the kit part, and don't get good results making a tight tarp with the water/glue method, look for a resin peice. i love resin because of its ability to hold detail. just check TMD wicker shell sleeves, beautiful. and of course if one is not avilable you can make your master and cast one yourself. stug
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 03:06 PM UTC
Concerning the tarp. You can cover the plastic part with tissue paper soaked in the thinned white glue. As the glue begins to set up you can add some wrinkles and scratched or frayed areas. After it is dried you can paint in with model masters faded od green paint. If you lightly sand the high points in the "canvas" you have created it will appear worn and faded.
Dave AKA, AnimalOrmond Beach Fla
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 04:32 PM UTC
I am a Supply Sergeant for a Combat Engineer Company. 96D4HS9 has it pretty much right on. In "Garrison" and standard field training exercises, any ammo or demolition materials have to be hauled by themselves. There are seperate classes of ammo and demo as well and some cannot be hauled with others.

Food has to be hauled seperately as mentioned.

Fuel/Oil can be hauled together in certain circumstances. You must evaluate the situation to make a determination based on regulations.

But, in war time, a lot of that would change to meet real-time tactical requirements based on hauling assets available.
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 05:53 AM UTC
WOW!!!!!!!!! That just about answers the question I had. Thanks for the replies guys It really helped out. Thanks for the replies on the tarp. Jeff where would I put the rope at? Animal thats a pretty good idea just put it ontop of the plastic one.

One more question regarding the canvas tarp. How could I show bullet holes in it? If I just stuck a small hot needel through it it would look that great. And suggestions?

thanks again guys,
Mike
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 03:21 PM UTC
Ok, kinda know what you mean on the tie downs. I have a general idea on where they would go.

The time period that iam going 2 be doing is Vietnam, a GT Convoy moving up through An Khe Pass being ambushed by the VC. Going to have a few guntrucks 1 or 2 supply trucks.

Didnt think about using the big boxes that they would put stuf in. Right now iam just seperating accessories to different trucks, ammo in one, food in the other. Will the time period tell if they used big boxes or just put them in the truck?

thanks,
Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 03:43 AM UTC
If you are modeling Vietnam era, M35A2 is not correct. M35A1s were used in vietnam. The conversion to backdate the AFV model is pretty easy. All you need to do is replace the large turn signals and rear light and replace and reroute the exhaust pipe. The lights are easy, the front end to be replaced with the older style split light such as the taillight of an M113. For the rear, two lights are required, the same M113 rear light and a round stoplight on each side. The exhaust should be rerouted along the inside of the frame and exit between the rear wheels on the right side. The hole in the right fender should aslo be filled. All of these conversion parts are included in the AFV club Nancy Guntruck kit since it is of a Vietnam A1 version.
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 04:12 AM UTC
Dont forget the practice of cross loading...if you had two trucks for ammo we would split it up 50/50 so if one truck got hit or stuck we would still have enough to carry on. So you wouldnt load up all your m-60 ammo on one truck and 5.56 on another. get the idea. Same with Food and supplies, cammo, etc.
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 04:56 AM UTC
Ok, I actually have 3 of the M35A1 trucks allready to use for the diorama. Stil ned abotu 3 more maybee.

Didnt think of the cross loading method. What else would go in with it. 50cal, and 30cal ammo in a truck instead of all 50 and all 30 kinda like that?

thanks
Mike
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:51 PM UTC
Whoa ! Jeffry, you bring me right back to the logistics training school ! LOL, you almost copied the whole textbook here !
From what I remember in my Ammo company, you just can't mix all sorts of ammo together on the same truck. Ammo is divided in several classes, and those can't be mixed on one truck, one pallet, one train wagon, one storage room, etc...
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 02:28 PM UTC
Ok thanks guys, Jeff do you know if they put the supplies in the big wooden crates? I know it would save my a bunch of accessories.

thanks,
Mike
63chevyvette
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 03:56 AM UTC
you gotta show me this supply convoy your doing. Wait, is that the one your building with that guy, or is this on your own.
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
Jeff thanks a bunch. I have the set of Verlinden ammo, but I've used some here and there so I think i'll order another one of them. Also will have to check into those crates on the floor. What did you mean by

"you can create some convincing dunnage to secure the load to keep it from shifting around in the bed of the truck while in transit."

I also have a lot of large ammo crates, I dono if there 105mm but they could work

Thanks for all your help Jeff!
Mike
 _GOTOTOP