_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger 1 non-slip question
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:56 PM UTC
Now that I've rescued my Tamiya Challenger 1 Mark 3 from the wardrobe, does anyone know which parts of the upper hull and turret have non-slip texturing?

I've looked in the Osprey New Vanguard, Europa Militaria and the Concord Mini without getting a clear picture. Maybe I should wait until May for the new Osprey Modelling book (looking forward to getting that).

PiperDan
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
The following areas on a Challenger 1 should receive non-skid paint:
-the top of the turret (including the front slope) but not on the rear stowage bin or the sheet-metal cover just on top of the gun barrel (ie. the bit with the lift-ring protruding) ... I'm also not sure if the tops of the commander's and gunner's hatches received non-skid or not
-the turret sides (excluding the TOGS housing)
-the hull front (top of the glacius plate and flat areas around the driver's position)
-the top of the driver's hatch
-the top of the hull sponsons (ie. the generally horizontal bits) but not one the circular breather covers ... coat this area all the way back to the gun depression stop rail around the engine deck
-the tops of the front fenders (I'm not sure if this was done on all vehicles but it is evident in a number of photos)
-the top of the hull stowage bin (located just aft of the port side exhaust louvre)
-the top of the removable engine deck pannel (just back of the turret ring)
-around the rear-most fuel filler caps

I don't think there was any non-skid applied to the transmission deck as it is mostly louvres anyways.

The material used appears to have been brushed on as its application is rather rough and uneven (but no less effective I would guess) and not immaculate like the non-skid on Leopard 2s.

Cheers - Dan
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 01:00 PM UTC
Thanks very much Dan, that is really helpful. I've got an idea of the way the texture is applied from some of the photos in Challenger Squadron and now I know where to put it.

Shame that after the effort I went to re-creating the weld seams either side of the driver's hatch , after filling in the holes, that they'll never been seen.

All the best

David
 _GOTOTOP