_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M8 Greyhound, pretty much finished.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi All,

Just finished my M8 Greyhound armored car. Here are some pictures of it.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:19 PM UTC
Sir--that is one nice job! I especially like the shading on your gear and the coloring of the shovel and pick handle. What color did you use on them? They look like artist oils....
thanks
DJ
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:39 PM UTC
I have one comment---Wow!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:47 PM UTC
Very nice work!
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 02:31 PM UTC
yea, wow very nice work there

Bender
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 02:41 PM UTC
Hey 210 cav
thanks and the metal parts of the tools are Model Master Metalizer lacquer Dark Anodonic Gray buffing metalizer (only I don't buff it) I paint it. let it dry.. then use the same color and drybrush streaks and area of the tools and it gives a 2 tone effect to the metal giving the worn and used look.

The handles were painted with Model Master enamal wood then before adding the flat coat I dusted the handles with some dirty brown pastel dust.

I have been experminting with Artist Water Colors as I got 2 sets (a 36 and a 18 color set) off the clearence rack for a total outlay of $5.00 I used them on the baggage around the turrent.
sprayed an olive drab, then used a 2 step wash with black and green water colors then drybrushed with a faded olive drab.

Delbert
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 05:14 PM UTC
Delbert, excellent work. I especially like the stowage and the tires. Did the crates/pouches come with the kit? How did you get your tires to look so realistically dusty? Is the tow chain a real chain that is rusted?? Very realisitic!!! Good job!
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 05:56 PM UTC
Delbert,

Excellent work! I love your subtle weathering, especially the paint chipping.....just right man.

Stuke
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 06:02 PM UTC
thanks bison44
no none of the stowage came with the kit. the bags are from the tamiya allied vehicle stowage set and the crate and some other stuff is from the italeri accessory kit. and the ration cartons are tamiya's printed cardboard boxes sheet.

The tires were done by painting them fiirst flat black then the hubs olive drab and drybrushed. I then painted inside the treads with french earth brown wipeing off the outer tread as i went. not worrying to much on neatness. then I lightly wetted down the tires and dust muddy brown pastel chalk dust over them. when they dry the dust is held in place. I applyed it a bit heavy because when the flat coat is sprayed on a lot of the pastel chalk dissappears and they get the dusty effect.

The chain is from the ship modeling area its a 1mm and its painted with model master rust colored enamel.. although next time I think I will try the instant rusting product I've seen at the craft store it might be easier..

Delbert
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:17 PM UTC
Delbert, that is one fine Greyhound you have there, I got one on my shelf ready to go.

But can I give you a few comments?
* When you look at the pictures there does not seem to be any carrier film on the decals, except on the front (2 decals - LIFT HERE) I would suggest to use a decal solution and/or a Future coat when applying the decals.
* The pouch on the front plate does not seem to be attached to the vehicle, it just lay's there and can fall of when it would drive.

Mind you I don't think I could do it any better.

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:00 AM UTC
nice touch good job stug
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hi all

Just took a couple of pictures of the bottom of the chassis that shows off the weathering and thought I'd post one..

there is another larger image of the bottom on my website at

http://home.ceinetworks.com/~delbert3/m8greyhound/M8pic7.html

take a look and tell me if i'm on the right track .

Delbert
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 05:26 PM UTC
Very nice work.

Patrick
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 01:39 PM UTC
Excellent work Delbert. Your M8 is beautiful. I would like to see some photos from the top as I saw your earlier posting with the interior painted. Have to agree with the other guys as well, the tires and weathering is first class. Nice stowage displayed as well. A suitable figure would really bring this to life now. You have improved your modelling skills so much in very short time. Keep up the good work!
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 01:55 PM UTC
Great job on the weathering....I especially like the dirt caked into the tire treads!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
Hey Delbert ...very nice kit you got there ,,it really looks the part ...The only thing I might say as a critisme is your decals have a bit of silvering....If you want to try and fix this maybe try putting a bit of setting solution on them and letting them dry ..After that try a flat coat on top ...It might help but the real solution is to gloss coat your kit before you put the decals on ..I hate putting on any decal that has lettering or numbers, Dry transfers are the way to go when you can find them..Look for Archer's dry transfers they are awesome ,but expensive but will save you lots of hassels in the long run..Like I said your kit is super I hope my M-20 comes out as well ...

Rick
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 02:52 PM UTC
boy that's very, very nice. Congrats'

Cliff
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 04:08 PM UTC
hey there Thebear

thanks for the input.. on the model I did Gloss coat first.. let it dry for 2 days. then put the decals on using solvaset to set them. and finialy I Flat Coated them.. I am prob going to have to get some dry transfers.. I have some but they are not exactly the correct lettering as they are from railroad supplyes but I got them on the cheap and I will prob wind up getting some from Archer. The silvering is not really that bad as it is hardly noticeable. I think it just showed up more in the pictures in the way the light was hitting the model. but I will admint there is some silvering there. esp on the lift here decals.

Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
Very nice project. I like the weathering of the undercarrage.
Is this going to be a static display, seems worthy of a dio (coming from a dio guy)?
Good work.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
I know what you mean how a camera can pick up and accentuate decal shine ...Keep up the good work then. It really looks good!

Rick
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:19 AM UTC
GOOD LORD! That is one amazing Greyhound! One of those kits that makes me want to go throw all of mine out and start over In any case, I have two questions and a suggestion.

1) What did you use for the rope to tie down your gear? Looks very real
2) excellent work on the machine gun. Did you use the same method to paint it as the metal parts on your tools?
3) As far as silvering decals, I get that problem too, and sometimes no amount of gloss coating or solution helps. Recently, I've accidentaly stumbled accross a way to get rid of silvering, but I need to experiment some more with it to figure out EXACTLY what it is I did. I airbrushed a coat of MM olive drab on a model and it didn't quite dry right; it had a glossy sheen and was tacky when touched. I let it dry for a few more days but the tack never quite went away, so I figured I'd forgo the gloss coat and apply my decals to the sticky paint. In a few areas (where the tackiness was worst) the decals went on real snug and all I had to do was apply a heavily diluted coat of non-acidic white glue over the decal, after it dryed I sprayed on a coat of Polly S flat coat and now I have no silvering (on a few of the decals), no tack, and no shine. This was with the awful old Tamiya decals, so if it works for them it'll work on anything. All I have to do now is figure out what I did to give my paint that sort of sticky consistency.

Once again, great work!

Ralph
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 12:59 PM UTC
thanks born to dig

The rope is cotton thread .15mm from the shipbuilding supply section and it does look good i've recently trimmed the stringers so it looks better now

the chain is also from the shipbuilding section.

and the MG is basicly just sprayed with Model Master gunmetal and drybrushed with steel i've also added some brown to the grips and cocking lever. and drybrushed some steel on the .50 gun ring.. and built some antennas for it

I'll post the final finished pic here for you..

my homepage is at

http://home.ceinetworks.com/~delbert3/

later.
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Very nice Delbert, gives us beginners something to aim for.

I also like the stowage, looks very realistic. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Roger
 _GOTOTOP