_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Painting Classes Pt 1 Primer and Basecoat
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:06 PM UTC
The purpose of this article is to demonstrate when we should use a primer coat, and when it is not always necessary. The two models I am going to use to illustrate this are the Trumpeter Arette C-1 with the Royal Model’s back date set. The second model is the AFV Club Sdkfz 11, late version; this is built almost totally out of the box (OOB).

Why should we use a primer?

It is important, when using resin/photo etch (PE) updates on our kits to give the paint a uniform surface to adhere to; this is where a primer comes in. Upon completion of a model, the model should be washed with soap and water to remove all the grease and dust that would have built up on it during the build process. If you have built your model OOB, without any resin or PE additions, then I suggest you immerse the model into a bowl of hot, soapy, water (NOT boiling) and swirl it, gently, around, making sure it gets fully immersed in the soapy water.

However, if you have PE on your model, it is advisable to use a soft brush to get at the accumulations of dust around the PE items, this avoiding any breakages.

On large areas, a larger, slightly stiffer brush can be used to speed the process along, just be careful not to stray with it and knock any delicate pieces off the model.

When all the dust etc, has gone, wash any remaining soap off with cold water and set aside to dry for at least 24 hours, but 49 would be better.

As you can see the Arette has some resin additions and because of this I will be priming it with an acrylic primer (in this case Halfords grey primer). This will give the model an overall coat that is the perfect preparation for further painting procedures.

When spraying the primer, make sure not to “flood” the model. It is far better to spray several light coats, allowing each one to dry before spraying the next, than it is to try and cover the model with one coat. One of the most impressive traits this primer has is that it shrinks when drying, so do not worry if you get some paint build up, wait until it is dry and then examine the model, you may find the paint has shrunk enough that it will be unnoticeable.

Another advantage that using a primer gives is that it allows us to see any imperfections in the model and correct them before they would require major remedial work. For instance, we may notice a build up of glue that was invisible before. When you are happy with the results, set the model aside for 24 hours, before moving onto the next step.

When not to use a primer coat.

As I said earlier, it is not always necessary to prime our models; this usually applies to OOB models that are built of injection-moulded plastic only. In this case the uniformity of the material allows us to skip the primer stage. Once construction is finished, wash the model let it dry and then decide what colour you are going to use first.

In the case of the Sdkfz 11, I am going to base coat it with Tamiya hull red. It is a bit dark for an accurate red oxide match, but seeing as most of it will be covered with the top coat of Dark Yellow, that does not matter.

As with the Arette, do not try and cover your model completely in one pass. Instead make several light passes, allowing the paint to build up slowly. Allowing time for each coat to dry. When you are happy with the paint, set it aside to dry for at least 24 hours.

When mixing the Tamiya paint, i used an eye dropper to measure how much paint i was putting in my airbrush. The ratio of paint to thinner was 50/50. When using an eye dropper to transfer paint, coat the inside of the eye dropper with some thinners and this will make it easier to clean afterwards.

If any one has any questions i will do my best to answer them. Part two of this article will be posted next weekend.

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye

grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hawkeye,
Nicely done!
Well thought out and illustrated with good photography.
Looking forward to part two.
Gary:-H
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
Very nice!!!
Congrats.
Ciao
Fabio

By the way don't use the decals provided with the Ariete kit, they are wrong in shape and colours!!! AWD has got the right ones...
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, and the info on the decals Fabio. I have one picture of an Arette in Iraq, that i am using as reference, and there is only one decal on it, i think, but i will avoid the kit decals now.

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:44 AM UTC
Hi Hawkeye,

Great start to the tutorials. Clearly written and well photographed, you've set a high benchmark for all to follow.

A couple of questions, is Halfords grey primer similar to Tamiya's primer, and secondly, how is this primer (or Tamiya's) different from using a dark coat of paint as a subcoat under the final paint scheme?

Frank
bones2586
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 02:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the great advice! Nicely done article so far with clear pics!

Looking forward to the next segment!

Cheers!
Tim
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 02:34 AM UTC
Great Job Hawkeye. Lots of great pointers and nicely done with all the pics.

Keep it up

Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 04:03 PM UTC
This one is most excellent.
One suggestion though- could you use a topic title that shows that it´s part of the AFV painting class. Then it would be easier to find.

E.g.: 'AFV painting class- part 1', etc. or something like that.

Thomas
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This one is most excellent.
One suggestion though- could you use a topic title that shows that it´s part of the AFV painting class. Then it would be easier to find.

E.g.: 'AFV painting class- part 1', etc. or something like that.

Thomas

Possibly something sequential, such as....

Tutorial 1... P&BC1
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 05:56 PM UTC
The title has been amended, should make it easier to find.
A very good start Hawkeye, good pics too, but tell us, how many hands have you got.. :-)

Cheers
Henk
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:04 PM UTC
Thanks guys i appreciate all the comments. As to the mix up regarding the title, i was not sure what to put, but knew Henk would straighten out any errors....even with my multitude of hands errors still creep in

Quoted Text

Great start to the tutorials. Clearly written and well photographed, you've set a high benchmark for all to follow.

A couple of questions, is Halfords grey primer similar to Tamiya's primer, and secondly, how is this primer (or Tamiya's) different from using a dark coat of paint as a sub coat under the final paint scheme?

Hey Frank. The reason i use Halfords Grey Primer is that it provides a hard wearing, neutral primer coat that does not seem to have any issues when you paint enamels, acrylics etc etc on top of it. I have used it for a few years now and cannot remember any instance where it has not covered well, or caused issues with other paints. I have never used Tamiya primer, so cannot comment on how well it performs. Once i have found a product i like i tend to stick with them.

Your point about "pre shading" is something i am
going to cover in the second part of this article when i do the base colour. The grey primer is there to provide a neutral coat that will be totally covered by the base coat. In the case of the Arette i am going to use a dark green, much darker than the topcoat would be, to provide the contrast. With the Sdkfz, i used Tamiya Hull Red for that simply because most German vehicles had a red oxide primer on them. Although the Tamiya Hull Red is too dark for red oxide, i feel it is correct when you want to pre shade your model......hope that helps?

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 05:37 AM UTC
One more suggestion: Could some of the moderators pin this topic as it was done with the figures painting class, please?

Thomas
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the comments guys, and the info on the decals Fabio. I have one picture of an Arette in Iraq, that i am using as reference, and there is only one decal on it, i think, but i will avoid the kit decals now.

Hawkeye,
if you want to avoid the decals for now it's fine but consider that all of the Ariete in Iraq have te following markings:
- front and rear ID plate (on a white bacground)
- company colours on the front of the turret (rectangular ones either red, blue and yellow not as the one given with the kit's decals)
- Ariete traditional insignias at the back of the turret

Another detail: you've added extra armour, do you know that in that case you should modify all of the suspensions?
Ciao
Fabio
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another detail: you've added extra armour, do you know that in that case you should modify all of the suspensions?

I have this conversion, too. What do you mean with modifying the suspension? Pics available?

Thanks, Thomas
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hello all,

As this thread is about painting, and specificaly the use of primer, can we stay on topic please. Lets not get side tracked with details about the building details.

Cheers
Henk
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 219 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 10:34 PM UTC
I have used the Tamiya primers for several years now, I highly recommend them.
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:44 AM UTC
Thanks or showing us your technique!
But what about using Tamiya spray Primer?
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 09:04 AM UTC
Excellent information.

Hawkeye,

You did a great job putting this together and executed it brilliantly. I look forward to seeing part two.

P.S.
I never would have thought to dunk my kit in water to get rid of excess dust. Thanks for the idea.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 02:46 PM UTC
Hi Brent,

Part two is right here

Cheers
Henk
roudeleiw
Visit this Community