_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Dragon's Easy8 Sherman
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 07:10 AM UTC
I've just completed Dragon's Easy8 Sherman and tried some things that were new, (at least for me), on this vehicle including sandbagging, drybrushing "worn metal paint" on high spots, using picture frame wire for the tow cable, and multiple layers of various color paints to achieve a finish that was different from my usual overall olive drab.

The sandbags were my first ever attempt and need improvement. They should lay flatter and not have that "puffed rice" look, (I'll do better next time). I used white modeling clay, and sized them according to a Verlinden article I read, (about 1/4" thick by 3/8" thick before forming). Upon drying, the clay shrunk a tad, and didn't take the paint real well. Perhaps I should try something else?

Dragon's kit comes with individual track links and I always have difficulty with them. I believe actual Sherman's tracks are pretty tight, but you'll note some wobbly "out of sync" tracks on mine. Any tips on successful construction of individual track links will be appreciated.

I enjoyed painting this vehicle. I use an Aztec double action airbrush and Badger accrylic paints for most of the work and then tried drybrushing some "steel" on the edges and high points. The sand bag "holders" are Evergreen strip styrene, and follow no construction pattern as I believe these were pretty much added in the field. I did use a couple of actual photos as overall guides however.

I'll be the first to recognize that this Sherman does not come anywhere near the quality of many of the outstanding models I've seen here on Rivet Review, (but I want to get better), so, helpful comments are appreciated.

I'm going to attempt to add the photos to this forum post (which if successful), will be a first!

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
[quote]I'll be the first to recognize that this Sherman does not come anywhere near the quality of many of the outstanding models I've seen here on Rivet Review, (but I want to get better), so, helpful comments are appreciated./quote]

Don't put yourself down man. Sure the sandbags need work but the rest looks pretty good to me. The important thing is what you as the builder think of it. Like me you are still learning so look at your last model. Is it better than this one or worse? Hopefully it's better so this will tell you if you are improving. But as I said the important thing is - ARE YOU PROUD OF IT AND IS IT BETTER THAN YOUR LAST MODEL.

The sandbags. vary the color as the bags look too uniform.

Cliff
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:13 AM UTC
I have to agree with Cliff, it looks good and as long as you are happy that's the main thing. Or actually we are never really happy with our own work, but you know what I mean. So the sand bags didn't turn out like you hoped, so what?? They still look good and I really like the wooden framework holding them in place. Its no fun building the same model the same way all the time, even if it does work well and look good.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:14 AM UTC
Don't put yourself down to much.. anyone who finishes a dml model has the most important thing going for them in the hobby.. patience .. i've done a dml 250/3 and those track links are killers..
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:16 AM UTC
Looks pretty good to me. You have already ID'ed the main point for improvement (the sandbags), so no point in belaboring that.

Keep in mind that the longer a sandbag lays and gets rained/snowed on, and vibrated from riding on a tank, the flatter it will lay. Also, in traffic areas, where the crew might walk while mounting, dismounting and maitaining the tank, will be even flatter. They might also be torn or leaking. A sandbag laying on top of, or next to/around something, will tend to conform to whatever it is rather than bridging over. An older sandbag, or one that is subject to a lot of sun (Pacific, or North Africa) will often disintegrate in places, springing leaks for no reason other than age.

The above is by no means a criticism, merely information for next attempt. I think you did a pretty fine job, and you should be proud of your work.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:18 AM UTC
Very nice looking Sherman you got there ...Keep up the good work ...I have done one of these Sandbagged shermans before and what I used for the sand bags is a 2 part putty called miliput ..You mix the 2 parts together and then take a tiny bit and form your sand bag...I used a piece of fine mesh and pressed it into the wet putty giving it a canvas texture ..I then took an exacto blade and made a seam inthe middle ..I then placed the sand bags all over while the putty is wet and then squeezed my framing over the top making the sand bags bulge out around the frame .You can go back over your sandbags with the mesh if you see finger prints in your sandbags...Try it you'll like it . As for the tracks ...I hate individual track links and I have heard that these tracks are a b/#tch to build .So you have done a good job with them ..The only thing you can do to get a better fit is try and adjust your idler arm but I don't think you can do much about it on this kit as it doesn't move.
Keep it up!!

Richard
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:19 AM UTC
I really like your tank and I add my two cents worth relative to putting yourself down, don't. I especially like the grungy, dirty, hard-working look the tank has. I agree with you on the sandbags, they do need some work. Although, when I really look at them they just appear very old, worn, and muddy. Overall, I say good job.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 09:17 AM UTC
That's very nice !
I'm working on a sherman and I hope it comes out that well !
Don't be sad about the sandbags, the next ones will look better !
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
STEVE!!!!

Very nice Sherman you got here! I like the weathering you did on this one. The frame holding the sandbags looks just like it was added in the field. The suspension also looks right.

Keep it up man! We're looking forward to your next one.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 01:41 PM UTC
Might Fine Looking E8, Steve. I like the frames alot, looked exactly what will look like if you add them in the field, and the weathering is very nice.

Maybe the E8 wanna play with my S33....
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 02:36 PM UTC
I think you did a very nice job! The weathering is good...not overdone, but a little war-weary looking. As someone else said, we are all our own worst critics, and the important thing is that you tried a new technique, and you learned from it. The next time you try it, you'll be even better, and you already have one nice sherman to boot !! Salute!
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 12:10 PM UTC
I told you that it would be a great place to post.....it is a good looking tank and the sandbags are ok......just flatten them more and I can't tell if you did this but,try pressing them into a piece of cloth for texture. Other than that....Oink,to the Oink-o...squeal to the oinker......

WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 01:32 PM UTC
Gents:

I really appreciate the sandbagging tips from ARENGCA and Richard, and also the kind words from the other posters. I was kind of spooked putting these pics out here for review, but you have all been most kind. Thanks.

Steve

Col_Kurtz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 02:33 PM UTC
Hey, I am doing a sherman right now and I assembled it before I paint it, except for paerts that arent OD but would like to know what types of base coats etc yyou used. You prob wont get this cuz there is 2 pages of replys and about 8438998329239023..... topics on the site, but if u do please help me on that, anyone.
----->almencini
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:59 PM UTC
What I'd do is preshade the model with some very dark brown (mix some brown and some black) by a spray in the recessed places and... well, the palces that you want to be darker.
Then, I'd spray the OD onhe whole tank.
If you want some places to look a bit "bleached", you could perhaps add a bit of yellow to the OD and spray that on a few places on the top surfaces.
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 01:20 AM UTC
Heck, I think you did a great job. Looks good to me. :-)

I think the sandbags are effective. I might have used a lighter color. But it's what looks good to you that's important, and in this hobby we always have the next model to work on and try new techniques. Practice makes perfect
 _GOTOTOP