Hosted by Darren Baker
verlindens best yet
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:03 PM UTC
Here are some pictures of a verlinden base with just a small remains of a building.i was never a lover of there dios but i have become quite fond of there new stuff lately.the base is big enough to house a 1/35 scale tiger,but it just hangs over a wee bit on the right side.

i plan on placing a steel wheeled panther G on it when its painted,i just placed the tiger on it to show its size.i think its more of a vignette myself.

cheers

karl
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:10 PM UTC
What's up with the one sided upright piece? Why could they not have used a mold with detailing on both sides giving the builder the option to place models/figures anywhere without having to sculpt texture and details onto the backside?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:19 PM UTC
Size does matter! I love the Tiger.

The base looks generally good, tons of detail, except where Al mentions - one pieces molds -- ugg
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:27 PM UTC
Al just took the words out of my mouth. Not only that, but the bit where the tank (if you choose to use one) goes does not quite fit in with the building damage. Looks more like soil to me. Considering that the tank has knocked down an Arch/doorway of some sorts, there should be more rubble. And why not make the base a wee bit smaller and fit that Tiger or Panther (for which those track indents are obviously meant) completely on the base..

Nice Tiger though.

Cheers
Henk
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What's up with the one sided upright piece? Why could they not have used a mold with detailing on both sides giving the builder the option to place models/figures anywhere without having to sculpt texture and details onto the backside?

That's one of the things that has always bugged me about Verlinden's dio stuff. Perhaps I shouldn't begrudge the fact that a little scratch skill is required when using their stuff, but I admit I've been spoiled by the advances in moldmaking.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 11:49 PM UTC
Karl,

Let me 1st start off by saying I have never done any kind of dio, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn (sorry it is a line from some Hotel commercials here in the U.S.).
I like what you have picked out. I'll agree w/Henk on the porridge like gunk in places on the resin base...not sure what that is supposed to be. Finely ground up rubble?
As far as there not being enough rubble I disagree, is one suppossed to assume that that particular Tiger just crashed through the bldg?
You can fix that blank backside I'm sure.

Another thing is why does Verlinden always see a need to add various pieces of equipment strewn about everywhere - it kinda reminds me of the old Sgt. Rock comic books where everytime a grenade was lobbed in the general vicinity of Germans - helmets and gasmask cannisters went flying everywhere as if they were pinatas filled with nothing but helmets and gasmask cannisters...
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:22 AM UTC
First, as someone who cast molds almost every day, I can tell you that a one-sided mold is FAR cheaper to pour, and takes less time to cast with resin... meaning a better price for you, the buyer.

Second, the interior walls can be very easily done to look perfectly fine... a little wall paper, some wood strip for flooring and structural beams, and a bit of paint will make this one look just perfect.

As for the "mush"... even though the streets are cobblestone, a lot of mud an gush would be tracked in by multiple tanks coming through to the point that built-up mud could be easily that quantity. I realllly like the base, and feel that with all the new "adjustable torsion bar" tank kits out there that a really nice base helps to show it off. We produce severa of the same sort... for a review of one done by volunteers from Armorama, click the link below to go to the the REVIEW section, and ... you will see a really nice review from WEWILLHOLD"...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/1022

Keith
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC
I have never considered any of these unpainted, pre-made building/bases as "paint and display." I feel you always have to add or grind away details to suit your needs. They are just a basic starting point for you to detail.

Personally I think it's more fun to make your own rubble/ruins but I understand some people don't have the time or resources to put one together. I myself, don't have the skill!!!! :-) I just keep trying and trying.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
I don't mind the "mush" - thats a personal preference. And can be quite a nice feature at times.

The one sided mold is unavoidable at times, I do get it, and Keith does bring up a GREAT point - cost....
I must bow my head and say I'd rather pay a lower price and scratch an interior wall.

jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another thing is why does Verlinden always see a need to add various pieces of equipment strewn about everywhere - it kinda reminds me of the old Sgt. Rock comic books where everytime a grenade was lobbed in the general vicinity of Germans - helmets and gasmask cannisters went flying everywhere as if they were pinatas filled with nothing but helmets and gasmask cannisters...

ah ah!! well said! Always disliked verlinden's way of doing dioramas/bases, they look like a junk shop. Of all 80's glories i would have prefer Shepperd Paine launching himself in that buisness, at least he does know what a diorama is, where to put the things, make it real and yet artistic..
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 01:55 AM UTC
Allright, just another reference piece for me for the next scratchbuild And be sure that mine will not be a single "molded" one..
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First, as someone who cast molds almost every day, I can tell you that a one-sided mold is FAR cheaper to pour, and takes less time to cast with resin... meaning a better price for you, the buyer.
Keith

Yet, despite this, VLS provides beautiful two sided brick walls in the Streets of Laredo line the Slodder and I have reviewed for Armorama.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:40 AM UTC
VLS/Custom Dioramics has just blown Verlinden out of the water with a kit I just cracked open to review.

They do one piece molds and give you the outside AND inside pieces - Home Run Stay tuned for the review.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:52 AM UTC
Just like some of the old Synergy pieces! Although some of Verlinden's pieces are quite nice, I'd rather have them in plaster, that way I can do more manipulating of the piece.
Miniart seems to be going in the right direction, providing inside details, railings, doors, etc. Yes, there may be some extra work to do lining things up, but for the weight, and cost, ya can't go wrong!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:58 AM UTC
Well, as for the one sided wall, although I'm not particularly impressed with it, and personally would prefer one with both sides, (after all, if my memory serves me correctly, weren't these all originally hipped as ready to paint complete diorama bases?) Well, complete, and ready to paint, means well.... complete and ready to paint (not counting clean up of course)... not scratch building.

Who would buy a bicycle that was complete and just needed assembly, then open it and find out you have to scratch build the bottom of the seat, and wheels, and had to provide the parts yourself?

Now of course I can understand the cost/time factor of an extra side for the mold. And I can also appreciate it for a decent effort for a diorama base, if you keep in mind that the diorama in reality is normally set up to be view from only one focal point in our display cases. But for a 360 viewing it surely is an expensive let down.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
I hope this is clear to everyone reading this thread.....

There have NO jabs at karl broom whatsoever. None of the 'one sided' piece comments negativly reflect against karl.

He is just like all the rest of us - facing a blank wall.

Karl - if your base is painted 1/2 as well as the Tiger on it I can't wait to see the finished product.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 06:27 AM UTC
I agree, my remarks were not directed at Karl in any way, but the product.
I'm also happy he posted it, so we can all see what comes in the package before running out and buying it.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:08 PM UTC
Knowing less than the average re German tank thingys, are the moulded track tracks on the base for a tiger or panther? Because as it stands (And as Karl had pointed out) the base seems a little small for these, [although I'm sure a M4 would try the dio and find it just right... :-)]
SO what is the story here? A vignette as mentioned, with tank tracks for extra detail? Maybe a squad of GIs looking at the tracks deciding if the Tiger is still around?
I agree that the composition looks good, but as Alguhan said, it would make an excellent reference pic!
Cheers
Brad
Floyd
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
Tiger very good...it would be desirable to see a diorama in the painted variant. Aleksey.
 _GOTOTOP