_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sgt. William Seay Medal of Honor Winner
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 04:28 AM UTC
I was going to build this one for the By the Book campaign but because of other commitments I had to delay it. Now I have to get it finished by June 10 in time for a dedication. It is the only thing left to build by this time frame. All the vehicles are finished and the base is about all I have left. So.....

Here is the beginning of the Diorama to honor Sgt. William Seay. He received the Congressional Medal of Honor for actions in August 1968 during which his convoy came under extremely heavy fire in the Rubber Plantation outside Tay Ninh.

Excuse the old table cloth. I have to build this one on the dinning room table. It is too big for my work bench. The Boss (wife) made me cover the table with the old cloth. :lol:

The Dio is 44 1/4 inches long by 22 1/2 inches wide. It will depict the convoy of munitions and food supplies coming from Long Binh and going to Tay Ninh. I was very lucky this day as I left the convoy with my truck at Cu Chi base camp (25th Inf Div). The convoy was hit about another 35 Clicks west of Cu Chi. It happened in an area where we could not support them with Artillery and the weather was so bad that it was impossible to support the convoy with air cover. This was one of the longest lasting ambushes that our Transportation Corp Drivers endured. We lost a lot of good men that Day. But because of the heroic action of Sgt. Seay a lot more of the men are here today to keep his memory alive. I have wanted to do this Dio for a long time and I was very honored when the Museum ask me to build it.

Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 04:39 AM UTC
A very interesting story Dave. I'm really looking forward to see this one finished. Keep us posted.

Erik
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 05:09 AM UTC
This will be a really nice peice of work when completed and for a good cause. Cant wait to see it. One question what figures do you use for the drivers of the trucks. Having trouble finding suitable ones.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 06:15 AM UTC
I make my figures from different pieces. I will cut the legs and arms or torsos and heat in hot water to reshape the parts ( arms , legs etc). Then re-glue them into the positions that I need. There will be no drivers in the vehicles of this Dio as they will all be laying in the ditch trying to keep under cover and return fire on the enemy.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 01:17 PM UTC
Would have been cool to have this entered for the For Valour Campaign.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 05:59 PM UTC
It would have been a great one for the campaign. But I have to have this one done by the 10th of June.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
Here is some more in progress shots. I think I will be changing some of the foliage out. I don't like the tall elephant grass. Or I might just cut it down a little. Need some opinions from some of you Diorama guys.

I will start of the figures in the morning. Too tired to do any more today.
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 515 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 04:28 AM UTC
Dave that is one BIG diorama. Looking beautiful. Good luck finishing it by the deadline. It's well worth it.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hey Animal. THat's a great story. Did you know this guy personally?

The dio looks great for the short time you've put into it.
 _GOTOTOP