Hosted by Darren Baker
Opel Blitz: What would it carry?
braillescale
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 07:08 AM UTC
I have seen a lot of pictures of the Opel Blitz (or tracked Maultier) mounting a flak 38, but does anyone know if it carried any other artillery? Any antitank?

Thank you in advance,
Tim Greeman
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 09:07 AM UTC
As far as I know, not officially. But a one-of-a-kind field modification could be made with a Pak 40. The RSO 'Ostschlepper' was modified to carry this weapon, and it was a much smaller vehicle.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 09:21 AM UTC
don't do it Tim. The 2cm flak was used but I'm sure it was close to overloading whatever the Opel truck. It was almost 900 lbs w/o ammo.

The recoil, weight and needs of an AT gun would almost definitely over stress the medium Opel truck. The smallest PAK, the 37mm Pak 36 was 950 lbs. The Pak 40 was 3142 lbs.

I think there's no possibility of mounting a Pak 40 on its bed. If it fired, it would flip itself and the Opel right over, I'd imagine (probably exaggerating but you're asking for BIG trouble here)

Again, it's your model and your project but I think you're stretching the historical probabilities here.

For instance, i was at a very presitgious AFV model contest. There was an entry that was quite unbelieveable. It was a Opel truck or Maultier (I forget which) with the pedastal mount and the full cradle and gun tube of a 10.5cm leFH. It was weathered very nicely and had great looking figures. However, the modeller made his conversion appear to have the pedastal just bolted onto the cargo bed of the truck.

The first shot would have been a beauty I'm sure! The haubitze would have ripped right through to the ground.

I highly recommend your getting to some museums and check out these artillery pieces first hand. Because we're focused on our little 1/35 or 1/76 world, we lose perspective of how incredibly massive these weapons really are. We snicker at the "Ronson" Shermans or the puny 37mm Pak 36. Go look one over in reality and you'll see that they're fearsome weapons. The Pak 40 is a monstrosity!!!

Stick w/the 2cm AA gun. Why mount an AT gun onto such a precarious and vulnerable platform?

Biggies: The Pak 40 on the OST tractor was shorter than the Opel truck but it had a reinforced suspension.and was built from the ground up to serve as a Pak 40 platform. It doesn't compare to the Opel 3 ton Blitz truck, IMHO
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 08:15 PM UTC
I guess this is worth looking at

flak trucks
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts