Hosted by Darren Baker
Achtung Jabo!
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 08:23 PM UTC
I saw Jerry's dio by the same name - but what else can you call a diorama that has late war german troops being attacked by an aircraft? :-)

Not to compete against Jerry's model, which I think is far superior to mine in the story it tells and the groundwork,

The sun is very strong here today - when we get some haze I should be able to take some better pics with less harsh shadows.

There are quite a few more pics in My Gallery .

Hope you like it, guys.

Sean
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC
Sean:

Your dio looks great. The object that caught my eye was the helmet with the hole in it. Great detail. Is that the Dragon Late tiger?

Good job

WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 08:45 PM UTC
Nice dio, great details. Helmet and flowers look awsome. Other details are really nice too.
Stuck_Steve
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi,

id like to ask a question please. When people make dios with a lot of rubble, is the usual practice to glue each individual peice of rubble down, or is there another way? Im talking specifically about scratch build ruins, not pre made moulded kit types.

Many thanks

Steve
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
Gday Sean...don't sell yourself short mate! This is a great diorama...
You attention to detail is marvellous. The little things which make you look again to discover them ie. the helmet... The flower bush looks the part. For such a big 'static' looking vehicle, the figures [well painted!] have a sense of urgency and give it a dynamic feel...
I really like it!
Cheers
Brad
P.S. Steve, with larger piles you can build up the bulk of the pile with styrofoam for example, coat with a filler or plaster and then the 'top' level containing the things you see on the pile or jutting out can be added lastly.
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

id like to ask a question please. When people make dios with a lot of rubble, is the usual practice to glue each individual peice of rubble down, or is there another way? Im talking specifically about scratch build ruins, not pre made moulded kit types.

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

There are lots of ways to build rubble. This model was my second attempt at rubble ( This was my first attempt ). What I did was form the mound using modelling clay. I had some pieces of broken plaster from a previous project, so I embedded the bigger bits into the soft clay to create some initial jagged shapes. Then I prepared a mix of cat littler, gravel and gritty scenic scatter for use on railroads woth white glue and black poster paint. This had a dark grey hue, ideal as a base colour for rubble. I spread this arouns where I wanted mounds of rubble. Then, before this hardened, I pressed bricks, roof tiles, wooden battens and other more identifiable pieces of debris into the mix so they sat right (rather than looking like they were perched on top!).

Dont forget to add dust. I used MIG pigments: brick dust and industrial city dirt.

Brian, this is the Tamiya Tiger I Late, built completely OOB. The Bucket is from the spares box, and the foliage is Lion Roar PE. I'm not entirely pleased with how this turned out, so I won't be using it again. The zimmerit is putty marked with a small flat headed screwdriver. The figures are Verlinden. The corner of the building is a plaster piece that I picked up cheap on Ebay. Roof tiles are cut from a sheet made by Trophy (again picked up on ebay from somebody trimming his stash) and the rats are from Plus Model (25 resin rats in assorted poses and a large can of rat poison with decals - £5 wll spent )

Sean
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 06:42 PM UTC
The bright flower is great. Gives the dio the only real bright spot. The helmet is also cool.
Removed by original poster on 10/14/19 - 20:40:48 (GMT).
TheMedic
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw Jerry's dio by the same name - but what else can you call a diorama that has late war german troops being attacked by an aircraft? :-)

Not to compete against Jerry's model, which I think is far superior to mine in the story it tells and the groundwork,

Sean, Thanks for the compliment... But are you crazy? Your diorama looks great! The Tiger and figures look outstanding. I especially like the details in your dio: Discarded helmet, wallpaper on the back wall, broken piece of glass in the window, and all the rubble (with rats included), just to name a few.

And as for the title... The Allies did have the air superiority and I'm sure those exact words were repeated several times, in several places, by several people. :-) :-)

Excellent work.
-Jerry
 _GOTOTOP