Hosted by Darren Baker
1/48....any good?
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
I'm seriously contemplating building up a collection of 1/48 tank kits, but I'm not convinced that its worth it. One of the arguments I keep hearing is size. How big are they exactly? For example; how large is an M4 compared to a 1/35 M4.

Also are there plans to release more allied vehicles? I've only seen one or two shermans and an M10 so far.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:39 AM UTC
As Yoda says "Do or not do the choice is yours"

Buy one and see if you like it. Do I think this size will take off, right now Tamiya is fairly committed to it. I would say in the next year or so they will release quite a few more varieties. I don't think they will go with 10 varieties of Shermans and I would expect them to rely heavily on German stuff. If you look, you might find some of the old Bandai / Fuman stuff and pick up a Russian or British vehicle they made.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:42 AM UTC
As far as size goes.............. The 1/48 is roughly half the size of 1/35 There are more Allied 1/48 in the planning/release stages For example

From Tamiya

Firefly Ic-welded hull

Cromwell

KV-1 and KV-2

Skybow/AFV Club is supposed to be releasing a Firefly Vc-M4A4 hull When it will be out is anyone's guess

At first Trumpeter was going to release some Shermans/T34's/KV series in 1/48 Now Hobby Boss is going to produce them When they will be released is anyone's guess

Yes I am bitter on the release dates of Trumpeter/Hobby Boss Last August I saw the 1/48 Sherman sprues of three variants at the Trumpeter booth at the IPMS Nats

I realize that they may/probably have production problems/conflicts However it has been close to one year as far as the Sherman releases

Sat what you want about Tamiya When they say a certain kit is coming out,they mean it Before anyone gives me any crap,keep in mind I am a consumer My voice should be heard

If the kit makers are gonna say they will make a certain kit,then make the kit
LeftyModeler
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
Firefly and Cromwell.... now we're talking.

Throw a Churchill, M8 and a Priest into that mix and I'll be sold.

I think these kits may be nice for dioramas since they won't take up as much room as they would in 1/35
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 05:12 AM UTC
The size of a typical 1/48 scale tank kit is a good mix of size vs. detail when compared to a 1/35 kit (better detail) or a 1/72 scale kit (more space conservative).

The Sherman works out to about the size of a 1/35 scale M113 kit.

Right now, the Tamiya M4 and M4A1 are nice kits OOB, but benefit greatly from the addition of one of the several photo etched sets. I've got a couple of the old Bandai Sherman hulled kits (M4A3 76, M12, M30) and the Tamiya kits compare nicely, but do not blow the 30 year old kits out of the water like they should.

I wonder how the Trumpeter kits will fair. Closer to the detail of the Skybow Tiger or simpler/well-engineered like the Tamiya kits?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The size of a typical 1/48 scale tank kit is a good mix of size vs. detail when compared to a 1/35 kit (better detail) or a 1/72 scale kit (more space conservative).

The Sherman works out to about the size of a 1/35 scale M113 kit.

Right now, the Tamiya M4 and M4A1 are nice kits OOB, but benefit greatly from the addition of one of the several photo etched sets. I've got a couple of the old Bandai Sherman hulled kits (M4A3 76, M12, M30) and the Tamiya kits compare nicely, but do not blow the 30 year old kits out of the water like they should.

I wonder how the Trumpeter kits will fair. Closer to the detail of the Skybow Tiger or simpler/well-engineered like the Tamiya kits?

Robin

I saw the Trumpeter Sherman sprues while at the IPMS Nats last year They look to be some greatly detailed kits Now if only they would be released
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 05:34 AM UTC
I say do it! I've done a couple and purchased a few already and look forward to building them

Size wize they are a decent size visually and a great size for display space.

here is a feature I wrote on the subject

Go 1/48
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 07:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the insights guys. I think later this week I'll go pick up one of the Sherman kits.

I find the idea of doing 1/48th armor exciting, because its undiscovered territory for me, and also because the smaller scale will allow a higher "fudge factor" as it were

On the other hand I don't want to get too sucked into it so that I no longer do 1/35 armor. That is what happened many years ago when I discovered 1/72 airplanes. I was just going to build one (we've all heard that before) and then return to 1/48 airplanes. Well, with a few exceptions, I've been building 1/72 aircraft for over 10 years now... go figure.

BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 05:57 PM UTC
I went out and got the M4a1 and wow; I haven't had this much fun modeling in a long time! The kit is more or less falling together, and I can get away with detailing it using some guitar string for grab handles, and a few pieces of plastic to enhance the open hatches and periscopes.

I didn;t think it would be this much fun. I think I'll pick up the firefly and cromwell when they come out
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 06:06 PM UTC
They are nice little kits and do not have the "pressure" of building 1/35 scale kits. We have returned to the age when we can build a model in a weekend (less painting/weathering) but still have the option to go all out and super detail the kit if you want.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 06:13 PM UTC
Yep I agree! I just finished the Tamiya 1/48 Tiger and now up is the Panther to be worked on for the Meow campaign.

Ia m looking forward to building that Cromwell when it comes out too.

I won't stop building 1/35 but these 1/48 kits are alot of un for me.

Look great too!

Jeff

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 07:42 PM UTC
[quote] [I saw the Trumpeter Sherman sprues while at the IPMS Nats last year They look to be some greatly detailed kits Now if only they would be released/quote]

Thay will NOT be released by Trumpeter. The moulds were transferred to HobbyBoss who will be releasing the first in a few months time.

Skybow are almost certainly going to be handled in the future by AFV Club.

Much as I like 1/48th as a scale, sadly, a lot of people are getting put off by the excessive prices asked by the Tamiya Diistributors....
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Much as I like 1/48th as a scale, sadly, a lot of people are getting put off by the excessive prices asked by the Tamiya Diistributors....

They are not too bad here in the States. I know Hobby Lobby carries a few of the kits in Tamiya's line. At full price they are around $24, which is expensive for the size of the kit. But most modelers with access to that store know of their model sales that range from this week 30% off all models, to the regular 40% off any one item to the occasional 50% off model sales.

The Skybow Tigers are extremely rare and very expensive ($30-35). That is if you can find one.

Squadron sells the Tamiya kits at prices ranging from $24 for the Sherman to $27 for the newer kits. Expensive, but not outrageous.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 08:54 PM UTC
In Britain i've seen them around $30+ here, the norm is around $40...Long live On-Line retailers!..Jim
AFVNEWS
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi Bom;

You really never got an answer to your SIZE question.

1:48 scale is 73% of 1:35 scale, or just under 3/4 its size.

[email protected]
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 01:57 AM UTC
Check out model geek they did a comparison on 1/35 to 1/48th.
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC
In answer to my own question: I guess 1/48th armor is really nice!

It began with a purchase of an M4A1 about a month ago. I blanched at first at the lack of what I thought were important details (periscope gaurds, hatch details, some mesh for the rear grousers), but I improvised with some spare PE and guitar string and came out with a very nice Sherman. The day after I finished that one I bought Tamiya's M-10 and Skybow's Tiger. I'm not impressed with the M-10 but was completely floored by the tiger! The tiger is almost done after a week of work, and I ran out and got a panther today.

In other words; I'm hooked. I won't give up 1/35th, but I expect a sizable collection in 1/48 on my shelves soon.

To those of you on the fence about buying a kit, go for it. There are more and more manufacturers releasing kits on an almost dayly basis, so there are plenty to choose from. The kits build up into little gems and there is plenty of room for AMS sufferers to go to town on them
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:29 AM UTC
I'm glad you are satisfied with the kits. I think they are nice kits that are designed for quick and easy builds. I made the Hetzer in one sitting and was able to give it a base coat the next day.

The AM companies have been nice enough to provide those who wish an option for more complex builds.
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:46 AM UTC
I built the Hetzer also, great kit, I loved it. Would like to build one of the Gaso conversitions like the 15cm SIG33 too.

It took me about 100 hours or so inc. paint / weathering... I'm so slow...
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:49 AM UTC
I was a sceptic of the 1/48 until I built one of the Tamiya Shermans just out of curiousity. I found it to be enjoyable and easy build which took no time at all. was a very good break in some of the 1/35's.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 06:39 AM UTC
I was challenged by an AC buddy of mine to try one of the Tamiya 1/48 scale offereings so I took the plunge with their Cromwell kit. I built it straight OOB to get a feel for the size, type, etc. The kit had some fit issues, mainly due to the diecast metal hull, and that in my mind is the most serious drawback to the series. The hull being diecast wouldn't have been so bad except that the suspension arms were also cast instead of being separate parts and this made it a real challenge to get the roadwheels to align on both sides properly. The detail on the styrene parts was nice, struck a good balance IMHO between overall scale size and detail level but the metal hull turned me off.

Here's a size comparison for those curious to how it stacks up vs. 1/35 kits. 1/48 Cromwell next to a 1/35 Sherman.

Arty1CD
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:20 PM UTC
1/48th scale is approximately 2/3rds (75%) the size of a 1/35th scale kit. 1/72nd scale is about half the size of a 1/35th scale model.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree completely!!!!!!!

1/48 is THE scale for me because it gives me the best size/detail/space needed to dispaly all that stuff ratio.

But here in Belgium Tamiya prices are just mad.

How long can this continue? Tamiya has a rock solid reputation for quality and has contributed a lot to modelling but I am affraid that this way they are slowly digging their grave

_GOTOTOP