Hosted by Darren Baker
'For Valour' reminder
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
Hi, all. Just wanted to remind all you trackies about the 'For Valour' campaign that begins in less than three weeks. There are only three others signed up, so if you've forgotten to do so, get over here and do so.

Though this is primarily for fig people, vehicles are allowed, so I'm going to post this in Armour and Dios too in case anyone has missed it.

I'm planning to model a 1/16 vignette of a Sri Lankan soldier winning the PWV (Parama Weera Vibushanaya), the counry's highest military award. It's been awarded only five times in 25 years of warfare, and all five winners did so posthumously. I am torn between two particular individuals I'd like to depict, and haven't made my decision yet.

Anyone else have anything planned?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
Just to further clarify a point (hope you don't mind David), although this is a figure campaign, a single artillery piece, tank, or other vehicle may be included only if integral to story.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:34 PM UTC
Thanks, Rudi. Yup, the medal winner must be at least 75% visible, so keep that in mind if modelling a tanker
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC
Hi,

I've signed. This subject sounds interesting to me, as I do mainly figures.
I have an idea in mind. I've recently bought a magazine on SAS commandos. And I've also bought 2nd SAS in france 1944 figgies from Dragon. I've plan to modify the figs to get them seated in a SAS Jeep, depeecting commando Kieffer (first allied parachuted in France June 5 1944) or some of the others SAS sticks who took part in French liberation.
End of October, I hope I could do my mini dio in time !
Best,
Julien
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 04:54 PM UTC
Sounds good, Julien. What did Kieffer win the VC for?
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hi David,

I don't exactely know if Kieffer won the Victoria cross, maybee french medal only (surely, By the hands of De Gaule). I may represent another sqaudron that the one from Kieffer. French commandos strated to exist in 1941 and took part to operation along with english SAS and Long Desert Range Group in the desert. Then they made several operation in France to get informations, destroy electric central generator..and they had a great actions inBritany where they pull together 10 000 french resistant, provide them with training, guns etc.. They also took part to the Alsace campaign, in the Ardennes they fought also and in April 1945 they drove a big operation in Netherland, their last one I guess.

I've read in the magazine that some SAS were drop in the center of France to harass german retreat from the south of France. In one of their action, near Valence I guess, they run across a village in jeeps and made lots of damages to the german, but at the end of the village the road were blocked. they decided to make U turn and run in the germans. All of them died except one. I guess they had received medals for that. I wish to depict the moment when they decided to turn and go back in hell.
Julien
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't exactely know if Kieffer won the Victoria cross, maybee french medal only

Cool, Julien. just remember that the entry must depict an incident where an individual or several performed an act for which he/they were later awarded their nation's highest military award for bravery in battle.

What I mean is, if you are modeling Col H Jones for example, you must show him charging the Argentinian machine-guns at Goose Green. Showing him on parade or at San Carlos won't be allowed.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 01:34 PM UTC
Ok I understand the point.
Will do accordingly my dio representing one of their action where french SAS received medals (highest) for it.

Julien
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC
Look fwd to seeing your stuff, Julien I've posted a similar thread in the Figures Forum and included some links that might give you some inspiration.
 _GOTOTOP