_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Daimler Scout Car Mk.1 Questions?
TimTam27
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 222 posts
Armorama: 209 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 - 08:05 PM UTC
Hi,

I was interested in doing a bit of a diorama/vignette of a Matilda II (See earlier post) and a Daimler Scout Car Mk.I during the Battle of France.
I have bought the Tamiya Daimler Scout Mk.II with the view to converting it to the type that would have served with the BEF. Presumably Mk.I, Mk.Ia but I could do with a bit of help with the exact identification. I only have a couple of photos of the BEF scout car, both taken from the rear, and it looks quite a bit different to the Mk.II version in the Tamiya kit. I have scoured the net and have found lots of images but none of them seem to exactly match the BEF version in the photos.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look next?

Cheers,
TimTam27

A couple of pics from "Blitzkkreig:Armour, camouflage and Markings, 1939-1940." by Steven J Zaloga. Arms and Armour Press

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 04:15 PM UTC
I would guess that the difference in the rear end is due to the modifications to the cooling which was introduced in the Mark IB

Have you seen the Mark IB on Tanxheaven?

Dingo

There is/was a scarily expensive resin Mark I from Maquette

Maquette Dingo
TimTam27
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 222 posts
Armorama: 209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC
Many thanks David.

With the info on the Mk.1b from Tanxheaven and the photos of the Maquette model of the Mk.1 I think I have enough to go ahead with the conversion to the Tamiya kit.
The suspension looks to be the most difficult part. The way it is done on the Tamiya kit looks as if they were thinking of motorising it. Where they would have put the motor and batteries though is a bit of a mystery.

Cheers,
TimTam27
 _GOTOTOP