_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A2 Verlinden hull
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 01:35 PM UTC
Ahhh... It's refreshing to post somewhere different (slightly!) for a change...
I just purchased the above kit. I basically want to know what shortcomings it has, and what kit it is best mated with...
I noticed that the weld seams are recessed a la Tamiya and Dragon. These need rectifying, yah?
Please help me get an M4A2 on the road...
Cheers for any help
Brad
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi Brad

All the built up Verlinden M4A2 conversions Mr Google found for me were on Tamiya hulls (and the rear plate looks like it has the slots for the Tamiya tow hook). Presumably the upraised arm bogies Tamiya supply should be replaced with horizontal arm ones for a mid-production M4A2

Check the weld seams on these M4A2s courtesy of Tanxheaven

M4A2s

David
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
Thanks Dave!
Very handy.
Ever have one of those moments when you suddenly realise you have taken photos of the only two Shermans you have ever seen in the flesh, one of which is an M4A2 mid-production? No? Well I just did... :-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 07:19 PM UTC
Hi Bradley....Not the best M4a2 on the market that is for sure ...way back when it first came out it was the only game in town,but it's really showing it's age compared to the newer Trakz and Formations kits ...The angle at the back is wrong ...the engine hatches are smaller than either one of the for mentioned kits ...But all in all it does look like an M4A2 in the end if a few discrepencies don,t bother you. To use this type of hull you'll have to scounge up a mid production type transmission housing as the one in the Tamiya kit is a late type. As for the turret either use the one from the Tamiya M4 kit or a similar resin type.

hth
Rick
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 02:05 PM UTC
Ahh, Grasshopper, the time to ask the pertinent questions is before you part with your hard earned cash. I got good news and bad news. The bad news: The kit used a Tamiya M4A3 for its master, and the maker didn't bother to correct the angle of the tailplate, which flares way out on an M4A3, but is nearly vertical on an M4A2. Since the Verlinden part is about a quarter inch thick here, look forward to many hours of sanding resin to fix this. The kit was also produced during the brief fad when everybody was using a Dremel tool with a round burr to add "rolled armor texture" to their models, and the kit has all kinds of little gouges in it. The welds on the hull top are the same anemic ones from the Tamiya mold, but Verlinden made up for it by adding humungous weld beads around the armor applique--it looks like peanut butter oozing out from between two crackers.
The good news? Dragon is about to release a state of the art version of this Sherman (along with a retooled Easy Eight).
See the Dragon illustration at http://www.dragonmodelsltd.com/html/6062p1.htm
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 06:28 PM UTC
Rick, Gerald, thanks for the extra info, although it was a cheapo from a swap n sell it sucks that there is sooo much wrong with it... Ecch. Will still be put to good use though
Cheers
Brad
 _GOTOTOP