_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Mk 1 Fixes and Photos
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 07:55 PM UTC
Please Note - origonal photos edited to make gallery space.

Greetings all,

Following on from my lastest venture into the dreaded Revit Review Board, here are some photos of the fixes and changes I've made thanks to you recommendations and observations.

The tanks represent vehicles from No 3 Tp, 3 Suqadron 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry, in France around the Summer of 44.

For the eagle eyed - there are no caps on the fuel cans as I used them all up in my DUKW project so I will have to await the arrival of replacments.

Changes have been made to the stowage, I've tightened all the ropes and added some additional items. I've rearranged the stowage on the front of the No 30 tank and have corrected the mistake I made with the tracks. Also I have added a couple of brackets for the wheels that didn't have fastenings and a strap for the box on the top of one of the tanks.

I finally got around to finishing the co-driver and he has been added. A little more weathering has been added to the decals and I hope the blend in a bit better. The pistol poart has been put on the correct way!!! LOL , and I also noted the information about it how is should actually look although I haven't changed that area at this stage.

Thanks one and all for all the help and pointers - the sunlight was very bright today so it should show up all the flaws.

Thanks to one and all for all your help, suggestions and observations - not perfect yet but much better.

Cheers

Al

Ps. the buckets in case I need something to be sick in!!!! LOL, LOL
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 245 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
Wow, those are some great looking Shermans! The crew figures really bring them to life. They look about as realistic as I've ever seen.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 08:24 PM UTC
Thnx for the pics. Looking good. Two things I noted that you could change is that the periscope cover for the gunner on "31" is mounted backwards. An easy fix. Also the rim of the idler wheel looks dark. That's fine if it's to depict worn metal and not rubber. The VVS idler wheels didn't have a rubber tire like the road wheels.

Something else to consider for future Shermans is to smooth in with putty the seam where the edge of the shell ejection port meets the turret wall. The raised lip around the hatch was part of the turret.

A nice list of Sherman tweaks can be seen here:
http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/articles.html

Great work. Keep up the good work.
RC
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi Seaman and RC,

Thanks for the feedback.

Fixed the periscope cover thanks!! LOL. Re the pistol port, I picked this up in th RRB but haven't done anything about it yet. I was just going to use some milliput and sort of smooth them in. Question: was this the same for all pistol ports ie they should be smooth to the turret?

Re the idler wheels, yip they show a little metalic paint to show normal wear.

Thanks again folks - great.

Cheers

Al
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Re the pistol port, I picked this up in th RRB but haven't done anything about it yet. I was just going to use some milliput and sort of smooth them in. Question: was this the same for all pistol ports ie they should be smooth to the turret?

For Shermans, yes. The castings may have slight variations in texture from turret to turret. Here are some links to a few different Sherman turrets on my website:
M4A1
M4A1E9
M4A3(75)W
T23 Turret

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

Thanks for those links - out with the milliput then. Quite a lot of variation then across the various Mks - anything specific for the Firefly - I'll have to check that one as well and the Mk V and M4 Ic all currently under some state of build.

By the time I get to the M4A1s I should have perfected the art LOL, LOL

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP