Clervaux - 8000 slates later
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

As i told you 2 months ago, i needed to finish the tower's roof before attacking the next one to avoid having all the slate work later in one stretch.
So here we are, some 8000 individual slates later. I worked about 7 weeks on the slates at the pace of 2 to 5 hours daily. For the lower part it did mean basically one row per hour.
I still need to add of course the top cone (sp ??) and some isolations around the windows and chimney. That comes after painting.
I did some other things to change from this task, such as a bit of furniture (the desk is from a plan provided here some time ago), repainting of some walls, cellars repainting and so on.
The castle is so big, i obviously have some problems doing good photos.
But here are pics of my latest effort for your appreciation. The soldier is of course for scale purpose.

Cheers
Claude

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:03 PM UTC
Howdy Claude,

All I can say is Wow!!......you are really taking on a massive project there pard'

Man, 8000 slates huh?........I must salute your resolution and determination to finish this project Efforts like this will teach the rest of us to maybe cease complaining about too many road wheels.....maybe.

Great stuff Claude.

Tread.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC
Claude, truly a massive undertaking with excellent results.
The time it took to recreate the slate roofing, paid off with interest.
I like the way the furniture turned out also.
Have you set up the castle and other buildings yet for an overall picture, that would look great.
Cheyenne
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:18 PM UTC
Wow!
How will you transport it when you finish? Or will it reside in a permanant display such as a museum?
Quite an undertaking to begin with....it's looking quite spectatular at this point. The finished piece should be breathtaking.
Cheers,
Charles
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi guys,

thanks you for your comments, i appreciate.
Cheyenne, an overall picture is quiet impossible for the moment, as you know i build in a few modules, the castle is alone and the neighbour modules are not yet build. The finished buildings are not even mounted on a module and will not be on the neighbour module to the castle. So impossible to do an overall picture for the next months. As i calculate one more year to build only the castle this could take some more time.

Charles, glad to have you here.
For transport , same as above, i build in modules like the railroad modelers and the castle is only one of 9 or 10 to build.. If you look under my profile i already made a few updates with explanations about this project.
Here is one
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/58286&page=1
I hope (if the quality of the work will be good enough) to show it around a bit, but i will need a truck to transport the whole thing. Maybe a permanent display in the real Clervaux-Castle is possible later.

Thanks for looking

Claude

Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC
8000 slates is not human
Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
Claude, this is absolut incredible. 8000 slates, i think i would have had enough by making 1000 slates...

keep up the godd work and keep us posted

what are the measurements of the castle, if you are in need of a truck to transport it?
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:17 PM UTC
Claude, it is fantastic! So many tiles. It is a site to behold. I am impressed. As Cheyenne said about an overall pic, it would be great but I understand the modules. I look forward to one soon at your rate of work! Cheers Kevin
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
Ola Claude

I'm actually looking for my jaw on the floor right now mate, amazing job!!!!!

I can go hide in a dark corner of my room with my pathetic 800 stones on my tower:) I salute you my friend and admire your dedication!

What was used to make the tiles?

Awesome:)

dsc.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:19 AM UTC
Good morning and thank you for the encouraging comments!

Tom, i am using 0.25 mm plastic (evergreen) sheet glued on with white wood glue. Never take plastic glue (in case you want to glue the sheets on another plastic), because the sheets are so thin that the plastic glue is melting through them.

Cheers

Claude
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:57 AM UTC
Claude your work is simply amazing

I cant wait to see more of this huge project , the level of detail and realism you have achieved is quite stunning

Ian
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:08 AM UTC
OUTSTANDING work Claude. 8000 slates, that's simply amazing. The furniture looks great as well.
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:41 AM UTC
Hello Claude
I want express my admiration for your work. it´s impresive. Congratulations :-)
CArlos
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:43 AM UTC
Claude, great effort with those thousands of slates and a fantastic result. What can I say more?.. Congratulations and thanks for the show
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:57 PM UTC
Simply amazing! What can one say but Congratulations! Keep up the good work! It pays a lot! I Can't wait to see this beauty done!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 02:40 PM UTC
Claude, you have done a first rate job on those tiles! 8000 bloody thousand! You must have great stamina! This is truly a remarkable undertaking, you have nothing but my respect! You are truely an inspiration... Keep us up to date my friend, it is always a pleasure...

BTW - What did you decide on the walls? Are you going with the plaster, or foam?
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 03:02 PM UTC
Good morning guys,i 'm glad you like it and i am happy to finally be able to build a wall again to get a bit nearer to a finished building.

Hi Paul, actually i am leaning more to the plaster. It will "cost" me 2-3 more kg of weight, but i defintely like the look of the plaster mould better.
The stones coming out of the wall, a more 3D effect, looks simply better.
I must admit that i have still problems to make the joins between the plaster pieces invisible, but i will work that out , and i still have moss and ivy to cover it :-)
After the next tower the following walls are covered for a good part under some concrete, so that i need only to show the stonework on a few selected places .

Cheers

Claude

Konstruktor
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 06:25 PM UTC
a HERCULEAN effort!!!
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 07:39 PM UTC
GOOD GOD ALIVE.

That is ridiculously good.

Hats off to you mate - WELL DONE !!!

Jon
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 08:24 PM UTC
Claude, that really is impressive.
I give you a lot of credit putting 8000 little slates on one by one.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC
This is simply amazing and breathtaking modelling. There is nothing I can say that anyone else hasnt already said in terms of praise and pure disbelief.

This has to be one of the biggest diorams ever. Bob Lettermans German city diorama in progress is pretty big but this is massive and im sure will dwarf it. I cant get over the castle-its huge! I really cannot wait to see this finished, it would be funny to see something like this pull up at Euromilitaire.

Simply outstanding-you are very talented and bloody brave!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:10 AM UTC
Ok everyone, i can not tell you how i feel about your comments. I'm speechless! So i will simply say, thank you !

Bob, Euromilitaire would certainly be one top spot to present the finished work, but don't count on it for next few years.

Cheers
Claude
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob, Euromilitaire would certainly be one top spot to present the finished work, but don't count on it for next few years.

Cheers
Claude

You're gonna need a prime mover just to tow this awesome piece to the show mate :-) I bet it weighs a ton !!!

I'll get some fuel in the Famo :-)
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC
Gday Claude!
Did a quick count (extrapolating of course) and found that there are only 7982 tiles used... What gives?!? hehe just a little 1am in the morning humour...
Peoples could do what you've done and make it look poorly... Thankfully you don't fit into this category... The placement is perfect...
I'm curretly making a cobblestone road with 4.2mm tiles... I am on my 6th row, and to give you an idea of size, well there are about 60 tiles to each row, so 6 X 60 is well um... plenty, so yep my tile-placing buddy, I feel your pain... :-) :-) :-)
If I happen to be in Luxembourg and see someone walking past looking like I'll say hi to you...
Cheers mate
Brad
P.S. I'm going to the hit the hay now....
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
LOL Brad :-)

If i have finished the next , i take a guess here, 20-30000 slates of the castles roof, painted individually the thousands of stones, i will come to look for your expertise to lay the few meters of cobblestone i intend to lay on the streets of Clervaux. :-)
I hope to still have so much patience in a year or two to do all that !

I think i will do the cobblestones with the "Carlos-way" with pieces of Cork.
Also i need to change my technique for klaying down the slates on the roofs, at least for the flat parts.
Doing long strips and cutting in those the slates, but leave the upper 2-3 mm on the strip , so to have visually indiv. slates, but still attached together for laying down, quicker, and exacter. Uff! that was difficult to put down in english.
Otherwise i will never finish and really will be the man

I think i forgot to answer one question to Patrick. The castle module is 1,50 * 0.70 m.
For now i can just lift it with the help of my wife, but when it's finished , i think i will need some weightlifters to help.

Cheers
Claude
 _GOTOTOP