_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Cromwell. Part I.D. Help.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Just finishing up a few things on this kit and am wondering if anyone knows that parts A8 are?

My only guess is that they are some sort of extinguisher. The thing that has me confused is that the instructions call out for part of it to be painted gold leaf.

Help is appreciated as always

Jeff
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hi Jeff

I cant remember the exact part no , its been 12 months since i built this kit , but if you mean the small cylindrical objects that are meant to be mounted on the fenders just behind of the stowage bins , yes there are fire extinguishers
I think the fittings where brass , so that may be a more appropriate colour rather than gold leaf

Ian
dogload
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hio Jeff.
I'll probably get shot down in flames (groan ) but I think fire extinguishers on AFVs were normally painted green, though I've seen threads which debate this.
MC
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:29 AM UTC
If memory serves me right the body of the fire extinguisher (unpainted) is a goldish colour. I've seen them painted green or red on vehicles so its likely that they were painted after manufacture. I'd say green is a safer colour as I certainly wouldn't want to be driving round in a Cromwell with "shiny things" advertising my presence to a Panther! :-)
bydand
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 01:31 PM UTC
Hi all,
A8 is a fire extinguisher, as regards he colour I have seen antique brass extinguishers (funnily enough they were brass in colour ) The Centaur at Pegasus bridge has them painted red. In the Osprey Cromwell book they are painted in the overall colour.

This debate has reared it's head a few times in reference to extinguisher colours and doesn't seem to have been resolved one way or another, short of finding someone who crewed one of these and asking them, I would go for the base colour, like Karl says I wouldn't fancy driving round with a bright red aiming mark next to my engine.

HTH

Craig
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 01:47 PM UTC
The tiny fire extinguisher on the turret bin of this Churchill Crocodile in this period colour photo looks like its nearly the same colour as the rest of the tank

Crocodile
drizzt73
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hi, I am just finishing a Tamiya Centaur and the parts you talk about are fire extinguishers and my instructions say they are Green for the tank part and gold leaf for the housing- I used Brass though.

cheers
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 02:21 PM UTC
You'll find a close-up photo of a British f/e here, http://tanxheaven.com/ljs/humbermk4armouredcarljs/97-Humber-Mk-IV,ArmouredCar4x4,Son.jpg , no idea how authentic the finish is.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 07:27 PM UTC
As always thank you everybody. I thought that's what they were but wasn't 100% sure. As for the colour I think I will just go with base colour.

Jeff

_GOTOTOP