_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
practice makes perfect- SS-camo
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi all,
First of all, been awhile since I have been in this forum.

I have been working on improving my Waffen-SS camo uniform types. The Pea -Pattern-'43 and '44 types, the Oakleaf patterns and plain tree have been the one I have practicing on. They can be a little daunting and challenging too, but practicing them has yielded some great results. And after practicing them I realize that they really are not that difficult and that the way the SS wore them makes for some very nice mixing and matching.
First, some rules- SS normally did not wear white or pea-pattern helmet covers as a rule. But exceptions were made- no hard or fast rule here.
Second- unless made in the field, usually no pea-pattern pullover smocks.
Third- have and use good color photos and drawings of the subject.

I have found that Vallejo has the best paint to use on painting SS camo. So that is what I use.

I am continuing to improve on my painting on this subject and others

Chris- pushing bad taste to the limit
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 11:46 PM UTC
Chris, welcome to the wonderful world of SS camo!
The reason for no smocks in pea pattern is that the mod 1944 combat uniform (ie the "pea pattern" ) was supposed to replace both this & also the reed green or cement coloured denim fatigues. It didn't because anyone who had a smock hung on to it, as it was semi waterproof, something the new clothing definitely wasn't!
Also no pea pattern helmet covers were manufactured by the clothing industry, so it is quite usual to see an SS soldier with "pea pattern" suit & (eg) "oak" pattern helmet cover, or camo painted helmet. I've seen photos of 17th SS GvB on parade wearing the full camo suit UNDER the old pattern smock, talk about "gilding the lily"!
Don't forget the Italian pattern trousers, very prevalent in NW Europe, even as late as the Ardennes, particularly with LAH & HJ.
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi Steve,
I appreciate your contribution to the thread.

I have been working on both 1/35th and 1/16th scale SS figures. Trying every conceivable combination of camo.
Pea pattern
Fall Oakleaf
greyish Field Grey
reed green Field Grey
Spring Plain Tree- got pattern down, base color still a little tricky
next will be- Spring Oakleaf, Fall Plain Tree, Italian and Palm Leaf, in Spring and Fall.

SS-Wiking Division is the main unit I am trying to build. SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Hans Dorr is done and SS- Gruppenfuhrer Herbert-Otto Gille is being worked on. I even have PE glasses picked out for him. So the research part is yielding great results.

And, as I have stated, the 1/16th scale figures are getting the same treatment as their smaller brethren. I converted the Tamiya 1/16th scale winter coated Machinegunner into a rifleman with a G-43 self-loader holding as cigarette in a substituted bare hand. Found a nice SS belt buckle in this kit that worked out very well.

Right now I am finishing a resin 1/35 SS-Sturmmann with a Panzerfaust 60 and a G-43 rifle. Field Grey tunic is about done, then it is on to the M43 HBT Pea-Pattern. I'm having fun with this figure and it should be done soon.

Yes, pictures will be forthcoming. For finally I possess a digital camera.

That is all for now.

Chris- funster with plastic and resin
 _GOTOTOP