Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Official Suez Stripes 50 Years - Part II
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Celcius and Fahrenheit meets at one spot. Thats down at -42, and I can say through experience that when you take a leak in that temperature it's frozen before it hits the ground!

Wow Tony, that sounds cold! I hope I never experience that!!!

Gary
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:29 PM UTC
I've never been in whether worse than -23 C (about -10 F), and that was bad enough. I've been in 50 C (122 F), which was pretty crazy too.

i once went from 41 C (106 F) to -10 C (14 F) in about 12 hours. that was the day I moved from South Africa to Germany (which I stupidly did in January!). I think the -10 then was much worse than the -23 the next winter just because of the contrast.

I'm sure the winters in the Sinai are much milder than that though...

anyway, I think i will try to collect the flash suppresor tips of my broken kit stock .303s from the isreali mosquito I am doing (see my post just above) and try to fit them to some ss tubing unless someone else comes up with a better solution.

-v-
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats down at -42, and I can say through experience that when you take a leak in that temperature it's frozen before it hits the ground!

I am considering adding this to the list of things to do before I die.
sahariana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hello All

Well it's finished. Might add a figure if I get one made up to fit on there somewhere.

Cheers
Dus
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 09:58 PM UTC
Here is my update on my mozzy.

still needs a little work before painting, but she is getting close!

LongKnife
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 07:49 AM UTC
Jeez Dus. I swear that I can hear the water sloshing. But I do hope you find some figure to put in. It feels a bit spooky with an amphibious without a driver. :-)
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hey Dus, It looks great!

Gary
Mozmig
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:51 AM UTC
Hi all!

So, my progress has not been at all very fast but I thought I'd post a photo of the detail work so far on my Mystère. I've tried to improve the cockpit area, which in the kit is only a hole with a very simple seat - so far, I've added an instrument panel made up of parts from an Airfix Henchel Hs 126 and a Heller Viggen (!) as seen on the pic. Also a plate of plastic card has been placed in front of the cockpit to close off an area for nose weight.

I hope to be able to follow up with photos of the fuselage completely put together in the next week. The paint job and decals will have to wait til I am back home in Vienna from my holiday in Sweden!

Mozmig
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
another try with the photo!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/Pedro1974/Sommaren20061061.jpg
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC
Beautiful LVT, I can smell the salt from the spray. Have been unproductive of of late! No progress on the M50 but have started the second submission. It will be an Egyptian M4A4/A2 hybrid. Same chassis the M50 had (A4) but re-engined with the A2 diesels. 75mm gun etc. Will post pics (wip) shortly.

Doug
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No progress on the M50 but have started the second submission. It will be an Egyptian M4A4/A2 hybrid. Same chassis the M50 had (A4) but re-engined with the A2 diesels. 75mm gun etc.

Hi Doug,

Sounds like an interesting subject. Did the Egyptians use any camo on their armor at the time of the Suez conflict?

Gary
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So, my progress has not been at all very fast but I thought I'd post a photo of the detail work so far on my Mystère. I've tried to improve the cockpit area, which in the kit is only a hole with a very simple seat - so far, I've added an instrument panel made up of parts from an Airfix Henchel Hs 126 and a Heller Viggen (!) as seen on the pic. Also a plate of plastic card has been placed in front of the cockpit to close off an area for nose weight.

I was somewhat aghast when I took a look at the kit myself. There don't seem to be a whole lot I could find on the Mystere. There's probably a ton of stuff in France. I was thinking that I'd have to fashion intake trunks as well. The nose piece is quite shallow so I don't think a blank wall would look all that convincing. I suppose the quick way is to fashion intake covers.

I'm making next to no progress on the Sea Hawk. Work is claiming a lot of my time. I'm still working on carving out the gun troughs and trying not to think about the painting and decal stages.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 03:53 PM UTC
I have followed this campaign with some interest and am sorry that my commitments to other work stopped me taking part in memory of one of my past employers who passed away a number of years ago, from an asbestos caused lung disease. The sad bit is that he only spent 6 months lagging pipework at a nuclear power station to raise the money to have a good wedding.

Bruce went ashore as a member of the 5th Royal Tank Regiment as a Centurion gunner and despite what is marked on it helped to capture the SU100 which is displayed in the Tank Museum at Bovingtom. They captured it when the crew abandoned it, but had to move on and it was later claimed by the Parachute Regiment. Bruce however still had the toolbox that he liberated when they examined the vehicle while it was still warm after the crew ran.

I know that this is an aside to those who are building, but each time I follow the thread it brings back memories of somebody in whom I had a great friend.

John
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 06:38 PM UTC
Slow progress on the PM models Sea Fury.
Wings and fusalage are together and its time to start cleaning up the huge gaps on the underside,dimples on the fusalage sides,and the generally rough and low quality plastic.
I hope to prime it later today,and I get the feeling it will be the first of many primer coats before its ready to get its nmf,which will be a mixture of 4 or 5 different Alclads.
Im adding exhaust pipes from 1mm semi circular plastic rod,and it looks a bit like a sealion at the moment until I trim them when its all dry.

Ive got 2 other builds ongoing at the moment and the Sea Fury is something that I spend a bit of time on,get frustrated,and move away from,but it will be finished Bjorn,,,honest!
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

memory of one of my past employers who passed away a number of years ago, from an asbestos caused lung disease. helped to capture the SU100 which is displayed in the Tank Museum at Bovingtom.

John,

Thank you for a great story. I feel even more motivated to build my SU-100.

Gary K
sahariana
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi Fella's

I am going to do a figure, just one probably 'cos they take me ages, not my strong point!
Thanx for the compliments on the sea.

Cheers
Dus
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC
Finally got around to posting a pic of my second submission. Its the MP Models M4A4 chassis,with an Academy nose & engine deck and a Dragon turret. I will be putting Academy suspension on it.

gbkirsch- Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. As far as now the Eygptians used a basic sand colour cam paint during the '56 war.

gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

gbkirsch- Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. As far as now the Eygptians used a basic sand colour cam paint during the '56 war.

No problem. The sand colour is as I thought but never hurts to check. Thanks for the response, still making slow but forward progress myself.

Gary
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 02:22 PM UTC
Wow, one week of vacation became two weeks became three...

I've been spending some beautiful, sunny days on the west coast of Sweden (in the archipelago north of Gothenburg). Thus, I've had the opportunity to study the water and the foam created by the vessels traversing it. All I can say is that Sahariana has done one heck of a job!

lampie - I knew you were up for a challenge! No shake and bake here! The exhaust pipes actually look pretty cool like that!

Great Mussie, Von Cuda. I also prefer that colour of the camo over the very sharp blue. But which is right? Could the IAF museum be so wrong? One would think that they had a couple of paint buckets left over?

Vanize - It looks like you are getting things in place. No suggestions regarding the .303's though...

TedMamere - I have got a parcel delivered to the post office!!! I have not had the time to go down and collect it, but I sure hope it's from France.

Mozmig - That's the spirit! Who needs fancy kits with all the details and stuff! :-)

jlmurc wrote:
Quoted Text

I know that this is an aside to those who are building, but each time I follow the thread it brings back memories of somebody in whom I had a great friend.

- John! This is an historical campaign and there is some emphasis on the stories behind the subjects that we are building. Your recollection of your friend and the battles in which he participated are more than welcome! I love the thought of a liberated toolbox. I've been hoping that someone would build a Centurion for this campagin, but you can't always get what you want!

India11a - Great to have even more Shermans! And this time an Egyptian one! I'm learning a lot from you tank builders! Who knows, maybe one day... Naeee....

And to the rest of you - Keep up the good work. I'll be off for yet another week, but when I come back, I have something special in mind!

Cheers!
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 08:32 AM UTC
Great to hear from you PolarBear. Here's a little more progress on my Egyptian SU-100, ground target!

Gary :-)

lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC
Hi all.
More progress on the PM models Sea Fury.
Alclad base coat is on and Im spending today spraying individual panels in different shades.
Starting to come together now and Im feeling quite good about it finally.

Nige
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Starting to come together now and Im feeling quite good about it finally.

Hey Nigel, looks really good!

Gary
lampie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Nigel, looks really good!

Thanks Gary!
Well,,the bit I was dreading is over.The white stripes with a narrow green band are finally on. It took me absolutely ages to mask everything up but it was worth it all in the end.
Next up will be decalling and then Id better make a start on getting the undercarriage together.

Nige
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:20 PM UTC
nice work on that sea fury - it looks so good i almost want to go get one and even do the NMF, and i have no love for NMFes!
sahariana
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC
Hi Gary

That SU100 looks great, what kit is it?

Dus

Thanks for the kind comments Bjorn, happy hols mate!