_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Official Suez Stripes 50 Years - Part II
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi all!!!

With almost 250 posts and over 5000 views on the initial thread, I had to start a new one (and yet we're only one third into this campaign!). All you newbies, don't forget to check out the first thread. Lots of pics, links, updates and info.

Let's kick this one of with an updated participants list:

Here are some late update photos from the last thread (so that nobody misses out);

TedMamere:

Jean-Luc! I didn't know this was going to be a relay build! :-) Has such a build ever been done on Armorama before, or is this another first?!? I'm glad that I'll finally get to see your amazing work first hand, and I will definitely put some extra effort into the finishing details!

007:

Wow! That sure is yellow! I remember your Renault FT17 TSF tank for the Siya Africa campaign! Have you got a thing for brightly colored plastic? :-)

Ps. I have some Israeli Harvard decals (Academy) if you're interested.

Sahariana:

The sea was angry that day... Beautiful effects, Dus! Please explain how you accomplished the water! - This is going to be such a great entry! I wish you the best of luck with the figure!

gbkirsh:

Hi Gary! I just remembered why I don't build AFV:s... That undercarriage must take ages! Keep up the good work! - But what's up with the three barrels?

And for the rest of you: - Don't forget to post updates and comments! We're all looking forward to your progress! Let's keep this thread as busy as the last one! :-)

Cheers!
sahariana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 12:51 AM UTC
Bjorn

Thanks for your kind renarks and encouragement.

I am just about to start on the finishing details now and the figure.

Cheers
Dus
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc! I didn't know this was going to be a relay build! :-) Has such a build ever been done on Armorama before, or is this another first?!?

Hi Björn!

Could be a first... I don't know! :-)

The model is finished (for my part) and already in the box ready to be shipped to Sweden. I'll send it away tomorrow. You will have to glue the small parts such as landing gear, antennas, arresting hook etc... For the propeller, I placed a vinyl roundel "à la" Tamigawa inside the engine so you will just have to place it in the appropriate hole. I didn't weathered the model so you can decide for the final look.

It was not an easy kit and required a lot of clean up and sanding. Almost all the detail parts are badly moulded (tyres, propeller, gear bays, canopy etc...) and the surface of the plastic very rough and uneven. You want a good advice? If you see this kit one day, run away! :-)

Anyway, it was interesting to do a 1/72 scale model again just to confirm that 1/48 scale is better! Thank you Björn! :-)

Now I leave for the sunny South of France for some vacations! See you all in two weeks!

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
[bTedMamere wrote[/b]:
Quoted Text

For the propeller... you will just have to place it in the appropriate hole.

Thanks for the confidence, my friend! LOL! :-) I hope that I will not screw up!!!

Great job (as always) with a difficult kit!!! You deserve your vacation!

Hopefully, I will have my camera fixed soon, so that I can take some pictures of the finished model (as well as on my continued progress on the Meteor and Vampire).

Allez les Bleus!

Ps. Which blue did you use (in case I need to do some touch-ups)?
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ps. Which blue did you use (in case I need to do some touch-ups)?

French "World Cup" blue! :-)

In fact it's a mix of various Tamiya acrylic paints (XF4 Blue + XF14 Sky Blue + XF1 Black + Flat Base) sprayed in several coats (dark first, lighter then). After that, I sprayed a coat of Future colored with blue (for the satin finish) and when dry a coat of Future colored with yellow brown (to weather a little and for a more glossy aspect). Once the decals where applied, I painted the panel lines with a mix of blue grey and Future (again! I love this stuff! ) Finally a another coat of yellow brown Future to blend the panel lines and the decals... and you want me to tell you wich blue I used! Are you kidding? :-)

Jean-Luc
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gary! I just remembered why I don't build AFV:s... That undercarriage must take ages! Keep up the good work! - But what's up with the three barrels?

Hi Bjorn,
I always say, this hobby teaches me patience! As for the three Barrels, I am actually modifying an SU-85 so although it won't be exactly accurate, the gun should be close. Big telephone pole looking tank gun I think!

BTW, is this the first time someone has combined aircraft and armor for a campaign? Sure looks like it's popular!!!

Thanks,
Gary
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2006 - 02:41 AM UTC
To Jean-Luc:

Hmmm... No pink in there? :-)
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC
Merlin: Your French F-84F decals are in the mail. I love your idea regarding the decal library (I don't know if it is "official"). A good database is needed, though.

LongKnife: I'll try to send you copies of the Egyptian Vampire decals etc tomorrow.

Cheers!
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 02:50 PM UTC
I'm moving at a glacial pace right now. I've only started work on the F-84F and Sea Hawk.

I'm doing a (for me) risk part of the Sea Hawk - carving out the gun troughs. These were only engraved lines on the Special Hobby kit. Currently, I'm using an X-Acto #11 blade and round file. I remembered that I have a small chisel set. I'll see if that will make my work easier/faster.
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Merlin: Your French F-84F decals are in the mail. I love your idea regarding the decal library (I don't know if it is "official"). A good database is needed, though.

while this certainly qualifies as going off topic in this thread, I would love to support a decal library as well - i have much i'd be willing to list in it!
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 06:06 AM UTC
Just to update the gruop on what is going on with me, I ordered the classic airframes canberra B2, initially I ordered from Greatmodels, but after a week of delays I cancelled the order and re-ordered from Sprue Bros....they sent me a shipping statement the following day. I pulled my FG-84F off the shelf and have started cleaning up some of the major parts on it. Should be getting both of them under way here shortly. Need to finish off two F-104's for the IPMS Nationals in Kansas City in August. Thats about it for me. Hope the rest of you are slaving away with your builds. "Q"
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope the rest of you are slaving away with your builds. "Q"

Thanks for the update Q. I too had a delay from Greatmodels which is unusual in my experience with them. At this point, yes I am slaving away. Good luck on your build!

Gary
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC
GaryKato worte:
Quoted Text

I'm moving at a glacial pace right now...

You're not alone, Gary! With the temperature in Sweden reaching over 30 degrees (Celcius, for once!), I'll be off to the shore during next week. But when I come back, I have something extra special in mind. A little summer build that just might fit this campaign like a desert Sherman tank!

Cheers!
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
I'm still in there. the flat is undercoated and soon i'll becracking on with the painting.

Ross
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With the temperature in Sweden reaching over 30 degrees (Celcius, for once!), I'll be off to the shore during next week.

I may be heading to the western US soon for a little holiday myself but at least I have managed to make a little progress on the SU-100 undercarriage...

Have a good holiday Bjorn...

Gary
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 03:19 PM UTC
Hi Fellas!
I just wanted to show youthat I actually made some progress since I got the tank!
It still needs some details and scratchbuilds:) After shortening the lower hull
at the rear by some 5 milimeters, the M4A1 air filters and exhaust fits with no problem

ps. I know that black background wasn't that good idea

Cheers
Grzegorz
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It still needs some details and scratchbuilds:)

Thanks for posting the photos Grzegorz! Those little handles look difficult to build.

Gary
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 08:24 PM UTC
Hi all.
Very slow progress on the Sea Fury,,no photos yet.
Its a real honker,,and hard to keep the interest level up
Think I'll come back to it after my holiday next week
Nige
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hi guys

Here is an update on my little P-51D. I still have to install the canopy, windshield, tailwheel, and do a bit of cosmetic work here and there. As usual, I'd like to apologize for the crappy camera work and blurry pictures. Hopefully, by next weekend you can add my name to the "finished" list PolarBear.

PS. While I'm in the mood to apologize.........sorry for the size of the picture. If someone knows how to downsize this big ol' honkin' picture be my guest.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 04:06 AM UTC
Like this?

Or... courtesy of KitMaker Network :

Cheers
Grzegorz
LongKnife
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:22 AM UTC
Nice VonCuda. This seems more appropriate as cammo than what stands at the israeli museum. I hope I can get the right shades on mine, when it's finished.

PolarBear; If you haven't sent the copy of the decals yet, don't hurry. I'm in China right now, and won't be back in three weeks. Here the temp is running in the low forties, so don't wimp about swedish thirties And not a lake in sight....
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here the temp is running in the low forties, so don't wimp about swedish thirties And not a lake in sight....

Hey Tony, I'm not up on celsius vs fahrenheit but is that anything like the 90 degrees and humid it is here in Ohio right now???

Gary
triumph
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
Electricity`s gone in our buildingroom Alas have gone none forward with my wyvern kit. Will also have to wait a bit to get any photos until I get my hands on a camera
Hope to have an update soon
LongKnife
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi Gary. I'd say it's about the same. Just a bit over body temperature and close to dripping off the walls. Maybe USA and China has more in common than meets the eye :-)

One more thing. Celcius and Fahrenheit meets at one spot. Thats down at -42, and I can say through experience that when you take a leak in that temperature it's frozen before it hits the ground!
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 08:53 AM UTC
ok everyone - i need some suggestions. I went on vacation to visit my sister and her family, and brought my tamiya mosquito fb.vi that i am building for this campaign along to work on, which i have now basically assembled and ready to paint when i get home in 2 weeks.

But - on the flight down here, somehow all 4 of the nose mounted .303 brownings got snapped off (bummer!). anyone know of any aftermarket replacements barrels for the british wwII version of these machine guns in 1/48?

I suppose if there is any such thing, it will be resin, which probably won't last long sitting up in front of the model like that, so perhaps i should just try to scratch them out of ss tubing? are there any suggestions on how to do the flash suppresors in that case?

what do you all think?

-v-
 _GOTOTOP