_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger 1 Mk.3 Desert Storm colour scheme
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hi all,

I finally got my Tamiya Challenger 1 Mk.3 from Hong Kong today. I am after a bit of advice on the colour scheme. Tamiya suggest XF 59 Desert Yellow for the overall scheme but I have previously used that colour on a cheap Trumpeter Chally 2 and I didn't like the overall apperance, I thought it was too dark. I managed to pick up some Hannants Xtracrylic British Gulf Armour Light Stone (XA1813) paint from my LMS which I would assume is probably what I need, but again it does look quite a dark shade compared to the reference pictures on the kit box. I have also tried Humbrol's matt light stone on a Trumpeter Op Telic Chally 2, which I was fairly pleased with but I still can't make my mind up if it is right or not.

What is the paint of choice for people who make British Gulf armour ?? I will be hand painting and I do really like Humbrol paint's over say Tamiya or Revell, can anyone suggest a good Humbrol match for Tamiya's XF 59 ?. I have yet to use Hannants paint I was saving it for my Academy Warrior and there doesn't seem to be much in the pot so I guess I will have to thin it down ??. I understand Tamiya have a TS (spray can) colour which is recommended for there Chally 2 desert version.

So many colours !!! Which one should I pick ???

HELLLLLLLLLLLPPPP

Thanks in advance

Kev
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

I built this kit about a month ago and end up mixing flat white, Buff and flat yellow to get the tone that was closest to it.

If you got access to the Testors paint range, i believe there is a colour that matches it exactly out of the bottle. I cant remember the item number for this but i know Gino aka HeavyArty would know it since he uses it.

My kit is this one

Challenger 1
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 01:41 PM UTC
Don't forget that the sand colour on the Challenger 1 is completely different to that on the Challenger 2, the latter is much more yellow. The Xtracrylic Light Stone is meant to replicate the colour of the Challenger 1 in the 1991 Gulf War, I don't think that anyone does the more recent colour (not yet anyway).

The Osprey book on modelling the Challenger family has some suggested mixes from Tamiya acrylics which might help. My copy isn't handy as I'm at work.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 02:06 PM UTC
The Light Stone that was supplied by Hannants was mixed after they received a sample of the original colour from a customer, so it is basically correct. Dont forget the effect of the sun in photographs in theater and also the bleaching effect on paints.
There is no problem with you using it.
Hannants used to be pleased to receive original paint samples from customers as I supplied them with a bottle of the Green that was being used on vehicles back in the mid 90's.

Regards

John
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:57 PM UTC
Use this handy set of cross-referencing charts to find equivalents for Tamiya colours

Cross-match

There is the odd mistake in there, so don't let your common sense get overridden.

EDIT: and the Tamiya mixes which I almost forgot are:

Op Granby (1991) XF59 x 4 + XF57 x 1 + XF19 x 1

Op Telic (2003) XF60 x 3 + XF3 x 1

Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi chaps,

Thanks for all the replys, Im gonna start with some Humbrol 063 Sand, that is the cross reference colour with Tamiya XF 59 which Tamiya suggest in the kit instructions. Will try the Hannants colour out on a normal Tamiya Chally 1 and then compare.

Thank you all for the help !!

Kev :-)
 _GOTOTOP