_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Another question on Tamiya Brit 1/35
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC
Hi,
For my original post see here.
Just another query.I've come across some nice Australian resin heads.Would these heads be suitable to replace the British ones maybe?

Would like to give more of a ANZAC feel towards the figs on my dio!
Cheers,Shay
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 06:56 PM UTC
Not sure, what are you modelling? For bush hats, the figures are more likely to be wearing khaki drill/jungle green uniforms with shirts rather than the BD blouse of the Tamiya figures.

If you let us know what your planning, maybe we can help
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 07:18 PM UTC
Hi David,
Well i've started on a dio(w.w.2) set in the European countryside.The idea being 3 or 4 blokes just walking casually along an old dirt road.I already have a nice set of British heads to use,thought i might be able to get away with using some Aussie heads instead.I know that the hats shown look more like bush hats,however i thought the flat brimmed ones were also used by Kiwi's and Aussies in Europe.
Cheers,Shay
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 07:32 PM UTC
IIRC Australian troops were withdrawn to fight in the Far East after the end of the fighting in North Africa, while NZ forces only fought in Italy. Neither fought in unit strength in North West Europe, though some undoubtedly served in British units. This makes the bush hats unlikely, though someone might prove me wrong of course

Found this about the slouch/bush hat, you might enjoy it, have a look at all the other bits of the sub-menu too for other ANZAC headgear

Slouch hat
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi Shay,

I agree with David here you'd be hard pressed to make a patrol in NWE - Italy yes, but not Europe. You might get away with the odd one attached here or there, but not a patrol as far as I know.

Cheers

Al

acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with David here you'd be hard pressed to make a patrol in NWE - Italy yes, but not Europe. You might get away with the odd one attached here or there, but not a patrol as far as I know.

Australian forces were withdrawn from the MTO (following the defeat of the Axis in North Africa) to face the Japanese in the Pacific,
No Australian ground forces fought on European soil, the disastrous Greek campaign of 1940 being the exception.
Even then, the slouch hat would have been rarely worn in action - countless photos of Aussies in the desert show them topped off with the British battle bowler.
The Hornet head set in question would really come into it's own if you were doing figures in the Burma (British, Gurkha, Indian troops) or New Guinea (Australian troops) campaigns however.
The New Zealand 2nd Division fought with distinction in North Africa and stayed in the MTO at (I believe) Churchill's request - the Div took part in the Italian Campaign, landing at Taranto in October 1943 and ending in Trieste in 1945; you can find more here...
New Zealand troops did not wear an Australian style slouch hat during the war - we had a distinct piece of headgear referred to as the 'lemon squeezer'...

$0.02

acav out
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Hornet head set in question

Not hornet but Ultracast and sold as British Bush hats. They really don't look like Australian Slouch hats but are a close match to the hats worn by the British Commandos who go to Blow up the Bridge in "The Bridge on the River Kwai" movie
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Hornet head set in question

Not hornet but Ultracast ...

Doh!

My bad...

acav out
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The New Zealand 2nd Division fought with distinction in North Africa and stayed in the MTO at (I believe) Churchill's request - the Div took part in the Italian Campaign, landing at Taranto in October 1943 and ending in Trieste in 1945 ...
New Zealand troops did not wear an Australian style slouch hat during the war - we had a distinct piece of headgear referred to as the lemon squeezer'...

acav out

Cheers for that acav that was pretty much what I meant - Nice 'Lemon Squeezer' very useful :-) :-) :-) :-)

Shey the heads would be very appropriate in the jungle if you can find any bodies to match them to, unfortunately not may around, so you would have to adapt as best you could although Warriers have a couple of 'Desert Rats' that could be used in the jungle without too much hacking and sawing.

Cheers

Al

HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 03:24 PM UTC
Maybe by 'British bush hats' they mean Chindits?
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:32 PM UTC
Why not? I wouldn't use more than one but it would add a little color and zing to the story of your dio. An proud aussie mixed in with Brits in Europe that doesn't want to give up his bush hat. Isn't there a story about Monty passing a bunch of marching Canadians in Italy and they had "liberated" top hats and all matter of bowlers and strange headgear. And an order came down to 8th army banning Top hats!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 04:23 AM UTC
Ryan whats the source of that story, I've been looking for it for years?There are actually quite a few photos of troops in NWE wearing top hats
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi Pat...I have read it a few places, but I think it was in D-day dodgers, about Cdns in Italy. Funny story!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

There's a picture of a chap wearfng a Top Hat just after the Rhine Crossing, a couple of them are stitting beside the road having scoff with a DUKW in the background. Pictures on the IWM site, sorry I haven't got the link handy, popped up when I was doing the DUKW build.

Cheers

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 02:29 PM UTC
Thanks Ryan I'll try to get my hands on that book.
Thanks Alan I found it and started a thread in the General Forum looking for more
http://modelgeek.kitmaker.net/forums/80091&page=1
 _GOTOTOP