_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Mickey Mouse" pattern cammo
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC
Im building Tamiya's Quad with limber and 25pdr , my question is I want to paint the Quad with the "Mickey Mouse " pattern style cammo i.e. black over a base of desert sand , does anyone know if the same cammo was applied to the limber and 25pdr ?

Thanks in advance

Ian
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hi Ian,

I don't recall having seen any pictures of the gun and limber being camoed up with the MM pattern, but this post will probably prove me wrong. :-) :-) :-)

I'd be interested as well as I still have to finish the gun and limber for mine and rework some details on the trucks. Will you be leaving the gun barrel smooth? Most of the pictuures I've seen of the early 25 pdrs don't have the flash excluder/counter weight on the end of the barrel. Sorry I could remember the technical term for that bit of kit.

Cheers

Al

MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 07:00 AM UTC
Thanks Alan , I was hoping you where going to say that :-) , Ive done some googling but no pics of the limber or 25pdr with the MM pattern cammo

As regards to the muzzle brake , I originally was going to fit the later version and even went to the trouble of drilling it out only to find this type of muzzle brake wasnt introduced till later in 1943 and i want to portray an early variant

Ian
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi Ian,

That's 'Murphy's Law' on the muzzle break - :-) :-) :-) :-) , I find I often come up against him, usually just when I think I've got it right!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) .

I looked at a lot of shots when I started the FAT build but didn't see any with the limber and gun camoed up, but watch this space - 'Murhpy" might appear!!! :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
bydand
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 01:50 PM UTC
Hi ian,

He he he he, Murphy strkes try IMW H 7697 it shows, if you look closely there's what appears be cammo on the rear two limbers and a different tone on the last gun shield, I don't know if you could definatly say it's MM the picture isn't clear enough.

HTH

Craig

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 02:16 PM UTC
I don't think MM is appropriate to the desert either (but am prepared to be proved wrong ) but a two-tone striped cammo may be appropriate (just not in the precise lobes of MM)

And if you're not adding the muzzle brake, then the counterweight moulded on top of the barrel just ahead of the breech block will have to go....
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 03:17 PM UTC
Damn you Murphy :-) :-) :-) :-)

Sigh , well thats what i get for relying on the paint schemes suggested on the instruction sheet. I may have to use a little artistic licence I guess

Ian
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 04:48 PM UTC
Some more ferretting in the IWM turned up this picture

25 pdr on Cyprus

There's definitely a darker strip on the door of the limber. Obviously the date is too early for any MM scheme, what could it be?
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:01 PM UTC
I saw something similiar on the gun shield of a 25pdr David ( it may even be in the IWM collection) , two triangular shaped vertical stripes , first time i have seen that one

Ian
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

two triangular shaped vertical stripes , first time i have seen that one

Caunter scheme crossed my mind on seeing the Cyprus pic, your shot sounds like it could be too.
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:15 PM UTC
Good point David

Ive seen it on British tanks but never on other vehicles

Ian
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:20 PM UTC
Found the shot

HERE and it looks like Caunter, bits are also visible on the limber (in a different place to the Cyprus shot though) and on the Quad.

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi Ian,

Well there you go!!! "Murphy again" !!

If it's any help you could use the MM pattern on the vehicle and the vertical stripes on the limber and gun. Unit commanders were given a certain amount of licence as to how they camoed their kit, a point that turned up when I asked about using the vertical hard edge camo scheme on my M3 Scout Vehicle.

Other possibilities are also there, replacement limber and gun, desert yellow but not camoed up yet, repaired or recaptured kit etc, etc so I don't think you need to be stuck to one specific theme.

From every thing that I've read about the early campaings there was so much movement going on, attacks and success, counter attacks, retreats and counter, counter attacks any new kit was often sent straight into battle, probably camoed up in the field if they had time, or not as the case might be.

I think the early campaings give a lot of flexability in how you want to show the vehicles and kit.

It's the same with unit markings, regiments were moved about between divisions overnight and then moved back again 2 or 3 weeks later and so on.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Al

P.S. If your looking for a good decal sheet Fingerprint Designs have an excellent one for artillery units.
bydand
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC
Daid,

I've just sone a google search on Caunter (actually I was doing that when you replied). Try that particularly for ANZAC forces, It kicks up 95 pages or so. If you look very carefully at 'your' 25 lpdr, it looks like the line carries on over to the door latch at the bottom. If this is so,and you imagine the doors closed, then that would appear to be a caunter scheme. The time scale and area would also match for a Caunter pattern. Although we all know that you can't really try to match colours to a B/W photo. I would go for that.

BTW that would make an attractive model. I tried doing a caunter on a quad, it didn't work Quad=bin

Cheers

Craig
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:34 PM UTC
Thanks for the input guys

I may just go with some form of cammo on the Quad and leave the limber and 25pdr desert sand , I added a few PE handles and extras to the limber and the top of the limber has very pronounced ridges so I think it may be a bit of a nightmare trying to mask or even hand paint any form of cammo scheme.

Im still very tempted on the MM pattern on the quad :-) :-) :-)

Ian
bydand
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:39 PM UTC
David,

just had a look at you 2nd picture, definatly a Caunter pattern, bear with me I've got some old Mil Mods with a series of articles about British Paint schemes by Geff Flutter I'll dig them out and see if they have anything.

Cheers

Craig
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got some old Mil Mods with a series of articles about British Paint schemes by Geff Futter

Hi Craig

That's about the time I started buying MM too, though I don't think that I've a full set of Geoff Futter's series.

David
bydand
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 05:58 PM UTC
well that's just given our bloody ages away :-)

old man craig
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 06:00 PM UTC
:-) :-) :-) :-) , ahhhhh but with age comes experience

Ian
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but with age comes experience

And memory loss that stops you remembering those experiences
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 06:30 PM UTC
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) good one , hell i even forget where i put my glue at times

Ian
bydand
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
Sorry, what are we talking about I've lost the thread

Craig
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:27 PM UTC
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) , hmmmm me too , something to do with MM pattern cammo I think

Ian
bydand
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:40 PM UTC
Isn't that Dunklegraun or something
 _GOTOTOP