_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Making an Accurate M60A2
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 03:19 PM UTC
I know there is an AEF Designs turret for this kit. Has anyone used it? Are there parts included in the Tamiya M60A2 kit like the cupola, search light, grenade launchers, gun tube, etc. that are required to be added to the AEF Designs turret in order to build an M60A2? Or can you buy the turret and add it to any of the various M60A1/A3 kits and create an accurate M60A2? Also is the resin turret worth the bucks ($26.50+s/h) or is just hacking away at the Tamiya kit good enough?
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:39 PM UTC
I have the Tamiya kit to build myself. It will be interesting to see what responses come up here. I will start doing some research of my own in February. I will pass on anything I find out.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 04:38 AM UTC
I finished one a few years back:

Gunnie's M60A2 "Alvin"

I mentioned most of the things I did to the kit. My example of the AEF Designs M60A2 Turret wasn't worth commenting on - it was easier to work with the Tamiya kit parts.

When I decide to build another one, I'll do everything I mentioned on that page, plus add some texture to the Tamiya Turret to more accurately render the appearance of the real thing. This calls for rendering the casting effect on the appropriate areas of the Hull as well. Since I figured on going that far, I thought I'd go ahead and model the CBSS bulge under the rear Hull, correct the Engine Access Door, drill lightening holes in the Drive Sprockets - and fashion another Gun Barrel / Launcher Tube. I'd still rebuild the Searchlight like I did - the kit version is Bantha PooDoo. Then, going that far, I'd probably depress the suspension to lower the stance of the model to reflect the M60A2 a little better before adding the AFV Club individual track links.

There's a lot of little things that can go into the basic Tamiya kit to make it really nice.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP