Hosted by Darren Baker
earth terrain for the airfiled WWII
mpalao
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 243 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hi, I'm thinking to build an easy diorama in scale 1/48 for the BF109E1 Spanish civil war. I want to simulate the airfiled in dry land, without trees and growth. I just see the products of Woodland Scenics, but I don´t know the materials more suitables for this terrain.
I think that the Fine Turf (earth) and the similar tones could be appropriates. The terrain of the airfield will be smooth.

Please Let me know your opinion, It is the first diorama in my life.
Thanks y best regards to everybody.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 06:45 AM UTC
Miguel,

Why buy something that you can get for free. Take a look around your garden and dig up some dirt. Let it dry and sift it through a fine mesh sifter. Apply some glue and sprinkle that dirt on top of it.

I got to tell you, there is nothing better than stuff you can find in nature. There is nothing better to simulate dirt than real dirt.
mpalao
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:06 AM UTC
Thanks Martin, it's true. Anytime we buy products without thinking what we have. I take note about your proposal. Thank you Martin.
But one question more.
In order to simulate the smouth terrain the Fine

The fine Turf in the woodland scenics is to simulate smouth terrain or the grass is better ??
Thanks Martin. regards.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 01:46 PM UTC
While the natural stuff from your garden will simulate colours perfectly, you wil have to sift it very (and I do mean VERY) fine to accurately depict soil at 1/48. Even at 1/35 it has to be almost like powder. Remember that even at 1/16, you shouldn't be able to see a grain of sand with the naked eye. I would reccommend you go with pastel chalks, fine coffee powder, tea dust, or a mix of all. You cn mix in some soil for variation in places where you want to show slightly more stony ground, but unless you can really sift soil down to practically dust, I'd avoid it (especially at 1/48).
ekke
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 02:21 PM UTC
To simulate earth (even in 1/72) I mostly use real earth sifted a couple of times (as Martin described) and add two or three different tones of pulverised pastel chalks.
I think this gives a good balance between the structure and texture of the real earth and the more in scale grain size of the pastel chalks.

I also like to use the woodland fine turf labled "earth" colour, but not to simulate blank earth.
It looks more like earth with tiny plants or very short grass on it, somewhat like there is moss growing on it and not like freshly dug up earth.
I definitely recommend buying fine turf. It gives a nice variety when combined with other earth techniques or grass products (or coarser turf by woodland scenics), and when mixed with scale-leaves it makes a nice forest ground.

I hope this hleped,

ekke
JIVS
Visit this Community
Palencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 02:22 PM UTC
te sugeriría darte una vuelta por el campo y veras los colores de suelos, dependerá de dónde le quieras ambientar, si en el freente norte (aéródromo de Vitoria en Arana ) o en le centro o sur de tierras más claras. Siempre por romper la uniformidad pondría algo de hierba en una esquina.
I would suggested you walkin in the country, in this way you will see le colour of the earth, All depend where you want to put the scene in the North Front ( aeordrome of Vitoria) or in the Centre o r South with clearer earths. i suggested you to put some little areas of grass maybe in a corner.
trabanino
Visit this Community
Guatemala
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
Que tal Miguel, yo hice en una oportunidad una paena con tierra y arena y la verdad, es que debes de ser muy cuidadoso con el cernido de la tierra, ya que granos grandes de tierra podran parecer piedras. Bueno recien he hecho una paena en donde por tierra aplique crayon pastel sceco en tonos tierras, de conformidad con las luces y creo que es mejor, o por lo menos es mas facil y rapido de hacer. SI puedo publico la foto del modelo el lunes, la figura no es lo mejor pero la tierra creo que esta bien. Suerte
mpalao
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 02:05 AM UTC
Hi, to everybody. thanks for your comments. There are very interesting for me. I take paper and pencil with your words.
The techiques about the pastel paints, tea grass in bags and coffee powder are a good ideas in order to start this diorama. I'm thinking also to take the earth that I could to find in the beach. The grain is very fine. i don´t know. Let me know your opinion about this.

Thanks and best regards.

PD: Jose Ignacio, Trabanino aconsejarme, estoy un poco perdido. veo mucho material para comprar pero no se que hacer.

Chao.
JIVS
Visit this Community
Palencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 02:47 AM UTC
He usado varias veces Das-Pronto para modelar el suelo, y aún humedo lo presiono con un pincel-brocha vieja y ruedas de vehículos.
siquieres más información ponme un mensaje privado

I used some times das- pronto modelling paste, to made the aearth, and then fresh I press with an old brush and wheels
if you want further information send me a private message.
sergrzegorz
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Wielkopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 04:37 PM UTC
Hi,

Perhaps, you will find inspiration here....

Best regards
sergrzegorz
 _GOTOTOP