_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Mark 3 Valentine
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
Since my Universal carrier will be out for a while, I was thinking of doing a Valentine Mark 3 tank. But I need some info.

Is the Maquette or DML kit better, or are they the same?

Did the Germans ever capture any?

When and where used? I know they first served in North Africa, but where else? As training tanks as well?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
I'm pretty sure some Mk IIIs made it to USSR as well. The majority of their Valentines were non-MK IIIs, from Canada but I recall seeing some Mk IIIs for sure. I have the Ironsides kit for the Mk III (uses the Alan/DML kit but has added resin bits and turret)
bother37
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC
Yes, the DML is a re-box of the Maquette kit. The russian did use the Mark IIIs as well as the Mark IX which is also available as a kit from Maquette. Both would greatly benefit from p.e. and new tracks, as they are mid-90s Eastern Europe kits, they need TLC.
Good luck!
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 12:22 AM UTC
I'd just like to point out that the VM/DML/Maquette Valentines are not MkIII's as the have the two man 2pdr turret, instead of the three man version found on MkIII's. There is always confusion with the designation of British "I" tanks due to how they were officialy clasified. The Valentine was officially listed as Tank, Infantry Mk III, Valentine Mk's I to XI.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the Maquette or DML kit better, or are they the same?
When and where used? I know they first served in North Africa, but where else? As training tanks as well?

Valentines painted over all Service Colour (brown) were seen in the UK for training. Late models werre used as command vehicles for Archer self-propelled gun units in the nW Europe campaign
Ther VM/Maquette kit is the same as the Dragon, though Dragon retooled the tracks on their release. Alas, they appear to have kept those molds in house, as re-releases from Maquette appear to have the original track.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 10:59 AM UTC
I believe some were used in the pacific as well by Australian and British forces....

Martin
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 01:24 PM UTC
Hi Tom,

Here's a link you might find useful regarding British Armour if you haven't already come across it:

http://www.desertrat.brigades.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm

Cheers

Al
Bob
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 05:27 PM UTC
As stated, there is only one Plastic Valentine kit out there and the kit needs a bit of work to make it accurate.

It is a MK II or IV not a MK III

Accurate Armour has a K III turret if going that route

Yes, Germans captured amd used them in North Africa, just like all other vehicles.

They were used a lot in UK training, Quarter Master sells decals for these in the UK.

Russia used them as well as Austrailia in the Pacific.

There is a detailed article on fixing the kit, drop me an email and I can send scans.

It was the most reliable British tank ever built!

-Bob
 _GOTOTOP