Hosted by Darren Baker
Carentan Details....
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 02:52 PM UTC
I thought I would share some of my recently built details for my Carentan Pharmacie... The first is a ceiling fan, the bright brass shall be painted flat black to more closely match the original I modeled it after.

Next you might recognize the apothocary cabinet, I altered this one a bit and added other details. The mortar and pestal were created by turning clear acrylic rod with a dremel, using a heavy duty xacto blade to shape with.

There are many other bottles and glass items that I have hand turned for this project. They will will be upcoming soon but I still have to get the labels finished.

Let me know what you guy's think, Thanks for looking...

Paul
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:00 PM UTC
Paul - WOW

the details are all great.

I LOVE the cash reigster...absolutely love it. With the glass next to it - that looks very good.

The ceiling fan is fantastic, and the mass of drawers in that apothecary cabinet looks outstanding.

All in all - some amazing work mate, well done!
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:02 PM UTC
Really fabulous work Paul, your attention to detail and the fabrication of items that look so realistic is a real showpiece. I wondered what had been going on as I had not seen much since those excellent figures that you showed us.
I look forward to seeing things start to come together in the future.

John
insolitus
Visit this Community
Goteborgs och Bohus, Sweden
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:03 PM UTC
How sweet!!
It looks truly amazing! Exactly how I believe an old pharmacy should look.
To what dio are you making it?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:31 PM UTC
Very nice especially in 1/35. The detail is great. IMHO without photos I get a sence that the fan is a bit modern looking. One photo or live backing can easily convince me though The wrapper/label on the bottle is a bit thick. I would try and replace that or spin the bottle so its not noticeable.

The display case is great. Nice job.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:33 PM UTC
Thanks guy's I appreciate the responses! It's been fun...

Andreas - I am working on a scene form BOB's, the taking of Carentan. The inspiration came from the moie and a personal relationship with a couple of veterans from the battle. If you have a look at my gallery you will see where this is headed. It is not an exact repo of the movie scene, as the movie set and the way the film was shot were impossible to recreate, but it will be a good representation of it. I am creating this in a manner so when people look at it they say "this is Carentan", not really meaning to do an exact copy.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:55 PM UTC
Scott - Knew you would point out the thickness of the bottle label. LOL's... I have some others in the making that should take care of that... The ceiling fan is a bit modern as I could get the bottom light quite the way I wanted to, but alas it is close. Hard to find exact brass details to match, nobody makes PE for this kind of stuff... hint, hint...I think it will look less modern with the brass painted flat black.
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 515 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:12 PM UTC
Paul, the pieces are magnificent! as is the building in your gallery. Made me wanna jump in and "clear the building". Is that the same one from when you were "blocked"? IMHO the fan would look fine if you left it in brass.
For some reason the apothocary cabinet makes me think of the scene in "It's a Wonderful Life" when the young George Bailey is getting smacked in the ear by Mr. Gower. Nice job!
Can't wait to see your finished product.

Dave
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:22 PM UTC
David, different building but the same dio... My block was with the ruined house that will be across the street. Which by the way is looking good. I just need to get some more furniture painted... Then I will get another post up of that one. I have been so scattered while working on this project, with all it's little details that I have just decided to do one building at a time. I am at that jucture where I have to make some decisions about floor plans. I have much of the finer details done, and furniture built but not painted or stained. Things will be going much smoother fromj here on out.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

Well what can I say, you have been busy. The pieces look excellent and are remarkable in their detail.

Absolutely excellent work and I look forward to seeing more. The pharmacie should look brilliant when you get it finished. I think the fan will look fine, it looks similar to other old fans I have see in various places so I wouldn't worry there and upmarket enough for a pharmacie of that quality.

Way to go sir. Thanks for posting the pics.

Cheers

Al

nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:21 PM UTC
Thank you Alan, I appreciate your comments... Hope you have a pleasent journey home! Saw your post on the craine, wished I had an answer for you, but alas that is out of my realm....I think it would work for what you want to do though, even if it takes a little customizing... Sometimes things require a bit of artistic licsence....
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:37 PM UTC
Wow. Great Job Paul! If you are putting this much detail into items that will be for the most part out of sight, I can't imagine how nice this whole dio will look once finished. Keep up the great work.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 07:32 PM UTC
Thanks Brian, lets just hope all these details don't get overlooked down the road!

My intention is to make the setting as natural as possible...
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
Nice Job Paul. I really like the fan!
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
Paul,

Looking great...The scale is excellent it came out very well. I like the fan and I agree it will gain some age with the blackening. The glass cabinet is also a very good piece I think I will need to borrow the idea it is just a little inspiration of course.
Nicely done I look foreword to future updates it is coming along extremely well.

Jay
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 09:39 PM UTC
Thank you, its nice to know there are some other twisted individuals out there suffering from AMS too... LOL's...

Jay we have pulled inspiration from eachother, no worries...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 07:30 AM UTC
I think the furniture looks great. I especially like the display case.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 02:36 PM UTC
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the words...
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:03 PM UTC

Hi Paul, as you can see, i'm back in the ring :-)

Great job with your furnitures. I instantely had a "Casablanca" feeling when i saw your ceiling fan, but it certainly fits in Carentan too.
I'm amazed by the creative ideas who comes up in such a forum like this.
This reminds me always never to take the easy way in decorating a room, as difficult as it might be sometime to find a new idea.

This brings me to another aspect. How are you aproching the " build what you can see " - problem? I take for example the ceiling fan. I think this fan ( i may be wrong of course) can't be seen be anyone looking at the dio from above or from a certain angle. As a viewer you have to virtually stick your nose in the house to see it. Depending on the location of the house on the dio this is eventually not possible. So, in the end, it would only be build for some nice photos and for the fun of the consruction of course!
Is this aspect playing a role for you when planing the setup ?

Nice to be back

Cheers
Claude

Cheers
Claude

nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 06:05 PM UTC
Welcome back my friend it is good to see you around...

The back of my building is indeed open. The ceiling fan will not be visible if standing above looking down at the diorama. If kneeling, and looking at the building at eye level you will certainly see it. My way of thinking is this, if the viewer has the ability to see the details then I like to give them something to look at. It's kind of like building a closed or open tank. Do I, or don't I?I don't take the time to build extra details if the viewer will never see them, but if the viewer has the slightest ability to see it then I try to add the detail. I try to enhance the creation, try to capture the alternate reality of the setting... Admittedly, some people will never notice some of the extra touches I add, but there will always be some that will see it. My goal is for the people who DO see it will be drawn deeper into the story.

When I was in art school, I studied many different artists. The most successful, in my opinion, were the artists who would build there paintings, or drawings step by step. I will try to explain what I mean... In portrait painting for example: You have a person, the goal is to paint an accurate depiction of that person. What makes each person look different? Bone sturcture, muscle growth, ect ect... In trying to capture a persons likeness, artisrts would draw out the underlying foundation. They would start with a light sketch of the bones, and slowly add the muscles, and shape the person on the canvas... It may not be what you see on the surface, but it is there behind it. Do you see what I mean? I have applied this technique and therory to my modeling as well...

roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 06:11 PM UTC
Yes , sure, as in the end, the overall appearence of the finished dio will reflect all the minitious work you ( or anyone else) is willing to put in the realisation of the dio.
Is the dio made in a hurry or with some sort of passion, it will be seen in the end result.

nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 06:35 PM UTC
That is my end goal... Even if the the majority of my detailing is overlooked by most, I will be pleased if it is noticed and draws that one person closer to the story... How are things coming along with your project? Perhaps I should take a look around to see if you have a new post?
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
No new post Paul !

I was in holiday two weeks. The first day back i finished the stonework of the second tower , just to discover some problems around it, so i needed to redo a whole section. I lost a few days with this. I also finished the most complicated part of the second tower roof. Still to lay down some 3-4000 slates, but no complicated work. Pics of it in a week or so.

I also started work and planning on the next wall and a smaller tower. Window castings etc, more copies of the stone mould etc.
With the second tower finished the whole thing should advance a bit faster the next months, so i hope i can update more frequently.

Cheers

jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
Paul, sorry took so long to respond to this. I hate using the laptop! :-) Anyway now that we are back from KC I have to say I love the fan in brass. I wish you had made two of these bad boys, then you could paint one black and leave one brass and see which fits the room better. Either way it will be an outstanding addition to your dio. The updated furniture also is very well done, congrats on it too. I can't wait to see this one in person. I hope you are ready by the next show but if not we can always come by for another visit. Cheers Kevin
 _GOTOTOP