_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
200mm US SF Vietnam bust
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 07:16 AM UTC
G'day guys
Been a long long time since ive posted any new work, main reason being that there hasn't been any but i got myself back into gear, and thought i'd paint my first bust.
He's Verlinden, 200mm or 1/6 scale, represents a soldier of the MACV (Military Assistance Command Vietnam).
Some of the lighting was slightly harsh so some shading and highlight (K-Bar for instance) will look extremely suttle.
Painted him using Humbrol enamels and generic oil paints bought from a local art supply store.
All in all it took me about 10 hours to do, he was awesome fun to paint, and i can see myself doing a few more in the future.
Here he is, all feedback is welcome.
Cheers

fire_support
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 07:19 AM UTC
Nice work
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 12:14 PM UTC
Dave how the heck are ya...nice to see you back on. Hey the bust looks fantastic mate. Love the coloring, badges look good. One thing, the rank should be black. And if you want to show some wear on them, have some brass bleed thru, that’s what they are made from. Another great job Davey...glad to see your back modeling

Joe
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 03:16 PM UTC
I like it overall, David, though I think a bit more shading everywhere will improve things a lot, particularly on the uniform seams and the moustache. The hair looks very good. The uniform needs some weathering to go along with the unruly hair and headband (eg: the shoulder flashes look rather bright and unfaded). The only thing I don't like are the eyebrows: they look drawn on. Tone 'em down a bit and soften them (if it's still possible).

Don't forget to post your stuff over on HFM too, mate, particularly large-scale work.
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
Great work. The only thing I have to add is the rank looks like it was sewn on so would be black with no brass color. The CIB and US airborne wings look also to be sewn on, so the wings would be white or black and the CIB would be black or a blue background like you have painted with everything else white.The Army was going from full color patches to subdued during this time frame. Just a little nitpck but you have done a fantastic paint job
brian
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 03:55 PM UTC
Hey cobber,
I'm glad that you finally got your enthusiasm back!The bust has turned out great,I won't delve into what the others have mentioned mate,however i would like to see a photo where i could see the highlights better,as you mentioned the photos were taken under some harsh lighting.
Just one question though digger..is your mum going to mind that you sawed half of her salt shaker off :-) ?Good to see you back in the fold!
Cheers,Shay
 _GOTOTOP