_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Review Submissions
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC
As a consequence of the continuing development of Armorama.com, it is now moving towards a policy of being unable to accept unsolicited reviews. The reasons for this are many, but include the need to enable the Editorial Staff to maintain the high quality of reviews that our members have come to expect, not only with regards to text, but also picture content.
We do however, have to stress that new reviewers will constantly be drawn from our membership, and that the pursuance of new reviewers will remain a very visible process on it's forums.
I must also take this opportunity to stress that the system of submitting material for On Display and other features remains exactly the same, and that submissions are positively encouraged in these areas. We would particularly be interested in receiving build features!
Thankyou!

Vinnie
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As a consequence of the continuing development of Armorama.com, it is now moving towards a policy of being unable to accept unsolicited reviews.

Hi Vinnie,
to make it clear (to me at least ) do you mean that you or the staff will choose the reviewers and send them the items to review ?

Olivier
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:44 AM UTC
Olivier, the staff in this context include me (as Managing editor), Jim Starkweather (as Owner, Webamster and Publisher), Henk Meerdink (as associate Editor), and the new Armorama Associate Editors to be announced in the next month or so, will decide from an ever enlarging 'pool' of our members on the site who is best positioned to review a particular product. Therefore, the Staff, and lot's of our members will have the opprtunity to review products.

Vinnie
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 02:50 AM UTC
Just a suggestion:

Does this imply that members cant submit reviews on their own items which they have purchased? If so, would it not be more flexible on the community to allow 'proposals' to be submitted where members can ask if they can write a review on an old/new kit in their collection?

I'm merely suggesting this as this new change does tend to narrow the scope of reviews to only new items coming out of the suppliers. Don't forget there are tons of old but good stuff out there which havent got a review up on this site.
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC
Jeremy,
the system is flexible and would allow for this. However, in stating that the site will no longer be able to accept unsoilcited reviews, it will at least go part way to ameliorating any 'bad feeling' on a review being rejected for any reason.

Vinnie
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeremy,
the system is flexible and would allow for this. However, in stating that the site will no longer be able to accept unsoilcited reviews, it will at least go part way to ameliorating any 'bad feeling' on a review being rejected for any reason.

Vinnie

Thanks for the explanation Vinnie. Anyway, the 'bad feeling' effect is irrelevant to me. When my submissions didn't suit you, I got a PM with your reasons and either I changed my review or I withdrew it. I didn't feel offended when you told me a review wasn't long enough or didn't contain pictures enough for the site.
On the other hand, I perfectly understand that you (the staff) can answer anyone submitting.
If this is better for the site, we'll comply with the new rules

Olivier
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 12:43 AM UTC
Is this only Armorama policy, or does this apply for the whole kitmaker environment?

If not, is it not going to get a bit complicated having different policies for different parts of the kitmaker network?

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 12:52 AM UTC
This policy is only in effect for Armorama.com, and not any other site in the Network.

Jim
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 02:38 AM UTC
As far as the remaining network sites. I would suggest that if a review does not get published, that it would be sensible to give back a brief PM, informing the donor on the inadequacies so that future reviews might be improved on, and possibly approved.

Frank
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as the remaining network sites. I would suggest that if a review does not get published, that it would be sensible to give back a brief PM, informing the donor on the inadequacies so that future reviews might be improved on, and possibly approved.

Frank

I believe thats already being done anyway but good point nonetheless.

When i submitted my reviews, Vinnie always PMed me to request for more info etc.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 01:01 AM UTC
I missed this thread until today. Okay, so that explains what's going on.

I guess I was out in .
 _GOTOTOP