Attention all 'newbees, returnees, etc..'
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 05:19 PM UTC
Henk,
An excellent idea as sometimes the levels that we try to achieve, do mean the recourse to so many extras that they often outweigh the initial cost of the kit.

I shall watch with interest as some of those kits that were presented in the early days can look so good just by using basic supplies and even odd bits from the spares box that we all feverishly hoard.

John
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 05:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Count me in, Henk. I haven't built a track in years, and would like to get back to it, and this seems a good way to go about it. I have an Academy M113A1 Vietnam APC (1/35). How 'bout Basic Training as a build title?

Funny, I started the same kit early summer with the same intention.
Except I think I airbrushed the interior.. oooppppsss..

But got distracted with other projects.

If I can get this panther finished for the Meow campaign (read as kit+kitchen sink) this will be a good break.

I'm interested.

Mike
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 05:00 AM UTC
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Much appreciated.

I'll start a 'proper' Thread when we start this Group Build, but here are the outlines in short..

Any kit goes,
but the emphasis is on cheaper, but basicaly sound kits. Italeri and Tamiya have been mentioned, as their (older) kits were basicaly sound and accurate models which go together without surgery. People who just start in this hobby may not have the money or knowledge to buy the multi media that we so love, or are plan bewildered by what is on offer today. Just imaging if you have not build a kit before (or your last build was 20 years ago) and you go to the LHS and buy a Dragon kit, because the friendly guy behind the counter tells you it's the bees knees...
The reason behind this is that I would like this group build to concentrate on helping those with limited experience to see and learn first hand how to build a basic kit. The second object is to 'get back to basics' , to show that even a cheap Italeri kit can be turned into a nice model to grace your display. And without the eyesight zapping need for 'working tool clamps'... Do Aber think I remove the shovel and ax regularly...
I don't play with my 1:35 scale models, I have a 1:16 scale R/C on order for that.. :-) :-) .

This is however not just for 'newbees', I would like people from every skill level to join in, to help and advise. We all have our little areas of 'expertise', and one part of Armorama I love is the readiness of all to share their knowledge.

I would like this group build to run free, meaning that whilst the main idea is to build a standard kit straight from the box, there is nothing wrong with showing occassionaly how a kit can be improved upon by a little bit of 'tweaking'. But please remember, this is primarily meant for those who are not quite sure how to cleann a barrel seam, so lets not get carried away. ( note to self, must not get carried away... )

Main objective: Having fun. And helping a few people along the way.

As for a start date. I think we should give this some time to digest, and suggest that we 'Start' in Oktober 2006. That means the holidays are over, and Armoram is getting back to it's 'normal' traffic. It also gives people a change to have a look for that elusive kit to build. I might have a look in my stash for a suitable kit to offer as a prize in a quiz, I just have to think of a fiendisly difficult question to ask.... :_

BTW, I appologise for not replying to individual replies in the thread, all your responses are much valued, but I'm using this thread as a sounding board, and on top of that my work situation has gone a bit hectic lately.

Cheers
Henk
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

so lets not get carried away. ( note to self, must not get carried away... )

Ummm... I guess I kinda did... cuz I'm almost finished. Is it still okay to include me?

WC
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 05:34 PM UTC
I always build a small scale OOB. Usually one of the Revell 1/72 kits. I make about two a month.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 07:52 PM UTC
Hi Henk

Great idea.

Count me in because this completely aligns with my current building/purchasing goals/plan.

Maybe a title could be "Back to Basics"

Regards

Sean
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:36 AM UTC
I'm gonna go one or two better. The Matilda is almost done - ready for paint - and I took photo's along the way. Started on the original Tamiya Universal Carrier (desert version) last night so I'm going to document that build too. Then I'll do a Zvezda 6-pounder Anti-Tank gun which will be towed by the U-Carrier in the eventual diorama that all three will end up in, along with some old Tamiya 8th Army figures. All OOB.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 07:59 PM UTC
I'd like to join, too...
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC
I'll be happy to participate.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:53 PM UTC
Yup I'll have a go at that, could do with help!
Cyberwombat
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 219 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
I just finished a Tamiya T34/76 OOB, built over the course of a weekend or so. It was so much fun, I'm ready to do it again. So count me in.

Working on the painting right now. Nice, monochromatic Soviet green out of a rattlecan. Although I have a good airbrush, I have a mental block about using it. Last time I used an airbrush was over twenty years ago, and although the results were good I remember it being a PITA to use and clean. I just don't have two hours to devote to assembling, testing, painting, cleaning...especially when the spraybooth is in the un-airconditioned garage.

I guess what I'm saying is if we could expand this to include airbrush basics that would be a big help to me.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 03:33 AM UTC
Count me in, too. I guess I jumped the gun a bit with my MUTT, but I'll be building OOB for a while--at least until I am comfortable enough with my skill level to branch out a bit. The MUTT is done, I'm now working on the driver figure, which so far has been much harder to paint than the vehicle. My next kit (which will probably be the one I submit for this GB) will be an OOB Academy M1025 in a very, very plain Desert Storm scheme.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 06:26 PM UTC
I'm sure that, given the military nature of our modelling the title should be Basic Training.

Andy
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC
I have a DML early sherman, but the tracks are insane. May I use Fruil tracks instead?
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 09:21 PM UTC
Henk:

I've only got a couple of kits under my belt, and would like to join in. I too have been seduced by the lure of the new DML multi-media kits, and have probably gotten ahead of my abilities. I am also one of those you mentioned who couldn't imagine posting pictures of anything that I've built, knowing just how unfavorably my efforts compare to those regularly posted (heck, I won't even take my builds to show my at my local club, as they are so clumsily done in comparison to what everyone else achieves). This group build would give me a setting where I could get some help/feedback and really work on improving my skills. I haven't picked a kit yet (it's a shame that I just finished the Tamiya Marder III OOB, as it would have been about ideal for what you suggest), but you can count me in. Thanks for reaching out to us novices and lending a hand.

Dave
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
Im working on the Tamyia 223 which i will finish, but i have the Italieri commando car in the stash so I will do that for the build,I picked up the old Tamyia mark 2 panzer, thats a nice simple little kit which looks like it will build into a good little model .Hmmmm,early winter Russia just outside Moscow my first winter camo.
 _GOTOTOP