Attention all 'newbees, returnees, etc..'
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi all,

We have all seen the outstanding models that are build and displayed with almost casual ease by many talented members on this site. Not a day passes without a number of superb models being presented, often festooned with so much photo-etch, turned barrels and resin that a healthwarning would almost be required. Intricate camouflage schemes are laid down with air-brushes using those mythical techniques of 'pre-shading' and 'misting'. Decals look painted on. Parts seem to have been attached without recourse to glue....

I have seen a number of members commenting that they are in awe of these, and would not dare to show their own work. Lack of skill is often quoted as a reason for not being able to create a model that they feel comfortable to display. Many are 'intimidated' by all the after-market used, and by the new breed of '1000 pieces plus' kits which include everything but the kitchen sink.

I'm planning on building a 'simple' kit soon, along the lines of an old, bog standard Tamiya 'shake and bake' like the Pzr IV D, Horch or such. Perhaps an Italeri kit like the Commando Jeep, Kubel Wagen or Opel blitz. You get the idea. Painting will be done with the 'Mk I brush' using basic techniques and finishing.
I was going to build it as a relaxation build, after some rather involved commissions I'm in the middle of, but if there is enough interest I want to propose a Group Build for those who want to do a 'step by step' build, going through all the basics, from removal of parts via clean up through glueing till painting.
This is not a Campaign, there's no coloured ribbons to be won, just building and painting an enjoyable model, and picking up some tips along the way.

If you are interested in this, add a reply, with a model you may have that you want to build. Emphasis is on 'simple', relatively cheap (as in affordable) and basicly accurate models. I work in 1:35, but if you want to join in with a smaller scale kit, why not. Allied or axis, both will do. If I do a German kit it will be early war, in mono Panzergrau.

No time scale for this as yet, let's see what response there is.

Cheers
Henk
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 09:02 AM UTC
Henk, I for one would love to join you. I will have to pick something up that will let me do a monotone scheme. I have a small stash of new DML stuff that I dont particularly want to screw up by building before my skills are there. I will find something at my next LHS trip.
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 09:15 AM UTC
Excellent idea Henk, congrats for your will to teach and guide fellow modelers....

Some thaughts, for all of the people who feel intimidated about showing their models around here.

I´m far of being a skilled modeller. Not have many access in my country´s LHS to most (if not all) aftermarket items....have many issues about many of the habilities of modelling, and a long etc....

BUT, I Know that all of us can improve, with imagination and willingness to learn. Armorama and nice people like Henk have helped me to get better in this great hobby through the year since I got back in the modelling table. Most of the time, my models cannot compare with many of the almost professionals lying around here.

Showing my work help me to improve, practice my english, get motivation, train imagination, learn about many techniques and tips, share and gather information and, most important of all, have fun and make friends around the globe.

So, since I´m invloved in a lot of modelling projects right know, I´ll pass this great opportunity. But I think that joining Henk´s idea, have fun just getting all the bits INSIDE the box toghether and sharing your hobby with the rest of us will make you happy, I´m sure about it....

Cheers and happy modelling

Klaus
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:00 AM UTC
I'm half-way there. Started a Tamiya 1/35th Matilda last night, straight OOB just to clear some room on the shelves. She's now just about ready for paint. Problem is, I don't have any Desert Yellow (wasn't really thinking ahead). Will have to scare some up sometime in the next few days. My Tamiya 88mm FLAK is also ready for paint (these are my first completed models in about 10 years BTW) but I have not decided what is going to become of that one just yet.

I'm not proud. I'll show them off, in all their glory - or not.
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:18 AM UTC
Henk, fantastic idea. I'm on board

I'm also tired the idea that you must have a "premium edition" with abundance of photo etch or "super kit" with thousand parts to have a good model.

I will build a relatively old Tamiya Horch OOB step by step using brush to achieve airbrush like quality and apply box decal the way so there are no silvering. No AM, no PE. no AB. Just the way I remembered when I was a kid.

Let's all go back to the basics.

WC
Tordenskiold
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 01:03 PM UTC
Excellent idea !!

I would be happy to learn some skills from you.

A Tamiya or Italeri Kubelwagen would be a great model to build.

Pretty straight forward, interior also to consider etc..

Im in
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 04:10 PM UTC
Im game Henk. I got a Trumpeter KV1E just waiting for some paint(built OOTB).

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi Henk,

That's a great idea. I'm just at the start of my 2nd Mk V build at the moment trying out some of Grumpys tips and ideas and adding some eyelets to the side of my other Sherman Turrets.

There are lots of things I still don't do correctly so yip that would be a good one for me too.

It's a really good way to encourage folks to post pictures of their stuff and improve their skill. I got a lot out of posting my stuff in the RRB and would encourage everyone to take advantage of that option.

Apart from items like extra stowage and things I can't avoid buying in resin like bins for the back of my Sherman I try and build OOB as much as possible.

Good idea, keep us posted on the response.

Cheers

AL
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:39 PM UTC
How about a Panther Ausf D Bergepanther? Looks like I leave of the turret and replace with a cover? the color is a simple dark yellow, without any camo.

Or I have a Tamiya KV-II?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:35 PM UTC
It's good to see that there is an interest in this idea, if it takes of I'll open a new thread, but to help those just starting in this hobby a liitle bit on their way, I'll make a list of things you will need as a minimum to achive results.

Glue
Hobbyknife
Cutters
Fine sandpaper or emeryboard
Paint
Brushes
Water and or thinner
Tray or board

Glue
There are two basic types of glue that you can use to build a plastic model kit. Liquid glue and 'runny' liquid glue. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses, and are used for different applications.
The 'runny' liquid glue I use is Revell Contacta, it is a thicker glue that comes either in a needle dispenser (which frequently clogs, but more about that later) or a small bottle with a brush applicator. This glue will sit on the spot where you put it, and is good for applying small pieces.
Liquid glue is like water, and is applied with a brush. It is specificaly used to glue mating surfaces where the capilary action 'draws' the glue along where it should be. Because it evaporates almost instantly it is useless for those applications where you apply the glue to a part and than position the part where it has to go.
If you have little experience the 'runny' liquid glue is your best one stop option, but it does not hurt to have the liquid glue to hand as well.

A hobby knife is used to remove small pieces from the sprues, to clean up the pieces after removal, to scrape away mould seems and flash, etc.
The Exacto type hobby knife, using a variety of scalpel blades, is the best, but for basic modelling an ordinary craft knife is fine. Don't use Stanly type knives, they are to large and you have no real control.

Cutters
A cheap pair of side cutters are used to cut parts of the sprue rather than twisting them off. It avoids damage to the parts, is much quicker, and minimises clean up afterwards. All you need is a small pair of side cutters (combination pliers or other pliers with a cutting jaw will not do the job, again more about this later) which can be had for as little as £2.

Sand paper
For a basic build all you need is a small piece of fine sand paper which is used to clean up the nibs where parts have been removed from the sprue or small knock out pins which stand proud of the surface.

Paint
I'll discuss paint at a later stage in more detail, but you will need the colours for the vehicle that you are going to build (sorry, I'm stating the obvious here... ). The choice between Acrylic (water based) or Enamel (solvent based, smelly) is up to you, it depends on different circumstances which you choose. Enamels and painting in the living room don't tend to mix very well... .

Brushes
It can not be emphasised enough, you can only paint as good as your brushes allow. Cheap brushes will dissapoint. You don't need to run out and buy expensive Windsor & Newton brushes (yet, but you will eventualy) but it pays to buy the most expensive ones you can afford. If you look after your brushes they will last a long time, and will be a better investment than cheap brushes anyway.
For a basic build like this (vehicle) you will need at least one Flat brush. Trying to cover large flat surfaces with a round brush is a nightmare.
I would suggest a minimum set comprising of round brushes No. 1 2 and 4 and flat brushes no. 2 and 4

Tray or board
Unless you are lucky enough to have a designated work bench/table where you can leave your model when not working on it, you will be working on the kitchen or dining table... Which means that after each session you will have to move everything away. Packing your part assembled model back in the box is likely to damage it, so it's best if you have a large tray which you can pick up and put out of harms way. Using it as a work surface is also going to protect the table, which will keep your better half happy.

Ohh, and of course you need a model....

If you have a suggestion for a name for the proposed Group Build, post it here please.

Cheers
Henk
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hi Henk, I think this is a great idea long overdue,now ive been around armorama for a while but Ive only built five tanks and one plane,so I still consider myself a learner I would like to join in this one.Ive just started Tamyias 223 armoured car, I use a basic badger200 a.b. and Im still searching the box for the skills to use it.
Re the brushes, Historex run a good line of artist sables, nice brushes and reasonably priced.
kododu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:09 AM UTC
Henk

I would definitely like to participate. I still have a vehicle I've been working on for a long time when I can. It is the latest Tamiya m4 sherman. I started off just trying to do it OTB but I just had to try and do some minor modifications as a learning experience. I haven't been back to it in a couple months and need to restart. Does this qualify for your group idea?
Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:28 AM UTC
Sounds like a good plan. Count me in.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 07:57 AM UTC
I will give this one a try i have a Tamiya Daimler MK2 Scout car 1/35 scale, i think this kit is really very simple it should work well for me.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 07:59 AM UTC
Count me in. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus, so I'm definitely in an OOB mood. I'll submit my Tamiya M151A2 MUTT, which I'm almost done with at this point. It is straight OOB (the only "addition" was hollowing out the tip of the M-60 barrel) and is painted with a spray can. I'm currently in the weathering phase, and I must say that washes are kicking my butt.

I've already posted in-progress pictures in this thread:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/81346#676673
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 553 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC
Great idea Henk. At times I feel the hobby is getting over-burdened with complications that not everyone can afford.

I guess most of us would have to admit that we modellers can be our own worst critics; I hate to think of the number of models I've left half or 3/4 finished because I've found so many faults. For a newbie or return modeller it can be demoralising to see models that look so much better than their own.

One of my favorites of all time was the Tamiya Krupp Protze. Think I'll do some digging and see if I can find one.
silentsteel
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi Henk,

I'm in, wouldn't mind going back to the basics for a change, I'm by all means no pro I've got an old Tamiya M4 sherman i can do with no mods or pe parts. I think a good name would be (Back to Basics) if u ask me.

Mike
PvtMutt
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 614 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 07:37 PM UTC
Have no idea what a group build is but what the heck.

It's been fifty years since I picked up a tube of Testors glue
and after finding all the sites that cover modeling I thought
i'd build something again.

I went to Hobby Lobby and thinking i'd start off with something
simple,picked up one of the 1/35th Opel trucks,how can you mess up
a truck?

Got that kit home and opened the box to find a very small and to me
I mean LITTLE, assortment of parts that some how would represent
a BIG flat bed truck.

I could tell right away that tube of glue was not the ticket,so back to
HoLo for some of that thin stuff in a bottle.

Well anyway,I think i've got it togeather and applied a coat of flat back
auto primer. Thought i'd give it the gray paint job but not knowing
where to start its been on the bench for a month now.(I think the primer
is dry now)
CWatson
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:47 PM UTC
I started to build my first armour kit in years, a Academy M1A1 from the "closet stash" just two days ago, Googling "Armour Models" brought me here. I am not a bolt counter so minute accuracy does not worry me. I was planning on doing it in a single color, Desert Storm tan so this thread sounds like what I need to refresh some basic skills and to learn some new ones. While on the subject what would be a good out of bottle or can match for the tan used by the US Army for the Desert Storm scheme?

Thanks,
CWatson

markm
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I started to build my first armour kit in years, a Academy M1A1 from the "closet stash" just two days ago, Googling "Armour Models" brought me here. I am not a bolt counter so minute accuracy does not worry me. I was planning on doing it in a single color, Desert Storm tan so this thread sounds like what I need to refresh some basic skills and to learn some new ones. While on the subject what would be a good out of bottle or can match for the tan used by the US Army for the Desert Storm scheme?

Thanks,
CWatson

I dont do much modern armor, but I have heard that Model Master Armor Sand is a good match.
Removed by original poster on 08/13/06 - 02:06:46 (GMT).
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks,
CWatson

If you want to use acrylics, I know Polly-S carries the right color: US Desert Storm Sand (FS 33446), stock number # 505364. For enamels, try Model Master US Army/Marines Sand, stock # 2136. I think Floquil also makes the right color, but don't know the reference.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:28 AM UTC
Henk, how old and basic are we to go, kit wise? Origonal/old Tamiya kits? Old Italeri{think I've got an origonal box/release 38-t}.
I consider my abilities half of what I'd like them to be{ultimately}, and I model in 1/35, but I found a source{he has 5} of revell/monogram snap-tite tiger 1 kits in 1/48...truth be told, that one calls to me to see if I can paint it well enough to make it look "good"...I say good because of the limited track detail, the rest of the kit seems up to par. Better decals and drill out the barrel....
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 01:31 PM UTC
Count me in, Henk. I haven't built a track in years, and would like to get back to it, and this seems a good way to go about it. I have an Academy M113A1 Vietnam APC (1/35). How 'bout Basic Training as a build title?
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi Henk,

Count me in !! Italeri commando jeep sounds good, my LMS has one on the shelf, I will go get it tomorrow I have been thinking of getting one for a bit anyways so now I have a purpose !!. I have planty of other unstarted kits as well so anything would be cool

Laters

Kev
 _GOTOTOP