_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M8 75mm Pack Howitzer
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
I finally finished repairing the damage to my models from my recent move. I picked a quick little kit to do as the first build here in AL. I recently had a fellow modeler (thanks Charles) send me a resin S-Model M8 75mm Pack Howitzer model from Poland. It is a simple kit with only 23 pieces in crisp cream resin. The pieces were easy to clean up and are cast well. Assembly was simple and there were no problems. It assembles and is able to be broken down just like a real Pack 75, so the dio possibilities are endless with it. I believe that it is a resin copy of the old Tamiya metal M8 kit. Either way, it was a nice little build and looks good. Here are a few pics of it.

(The figure was not part of the kit, but is needed to weigh down the trails. Without him, it takes a nose dive due to the weight of the barrel assembly.)

More here.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:39 AM UTC
Nice job Gino, I just happen to have that kit in the "to do pile" which is much different than my "to finish pile". Although I think I'll go for the travel mode on mine.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hi Gino,

Looks like a nice little kit, I can see you might need to weight it down being resin.

Here's a link to Japanese Armor King they have a version broken down for transportation and one in firing mode: Click on Price List

http://www.japanesearmorking.com/index.html

Some interesting kit there if you haven't come across them before.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Al
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The figure was not part of the kit, but is needed to weigh down the trails. Without him, it takes a nose dive due to the weight of the barrel assembly.)

The reason its barrel heavy is due to you having the barrel in firing position, while the axle and trail are in travelling mode (at least according to the instructions in my Tamiya example).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 05:43 AM UTC
Thanks, glad you guys like it.

Quoted Text

The reason its barrel heavy is due to you having the barrel in firing position, while the axle and trail are in travelling mode (at least according to the instructions in my Tamiya example).

Nope, Tamiya has it partly wrong. The axle and trails are in one of the firing positions. It can be fired with the axle in the forward "C" brackets on the front of the trails as well. For traveling, the barrel assembly can either be removed and attached to the lugs on the trails, or the entire gun can be broken down into multiple subassemblies and packed onto a mule, cart, or into the back of a jeep, hence the name Pack Howitzer. Or, apparently,....

...strapped onto a small camel.

It is barrel heavy due to the weight of the solid resin barrel assembly, which is hollow on the actual gun. Steel is heavier than resin as well.

You can see some more combinations at Tanxheaven.

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 06:46 PM UTC
Nice. Is it supposed to have that cast appearance on the top of the barrel like that?

Also how you liking Alabama?

Jeff
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:23 PM UTC
Thanks Jeff. Yes, the cover over the barrel is cast steel and does have a rough-ish texture. AL is good so far, can't complain.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Gino, very nice build. Are these available somewhere? Like many posts, this was the gun used for evening retreat in Baumholder when I was there, and I wouldn't mind doing one to add to my collection of "guns I've fired".

Tom
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 05:16 AM UTC
Tom, I ordered mine directly from S-Models.
Easy enough to order from, once you set up an account, and took about 2 weeks for order to arrive.

S-Models
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 09:59 AM UTC
Coool, Gino.

I have an old Tamiya kit I am using for a T-30 halftrack build. Maybe your build will kick me in the @$$.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 08:47 PM UTC
Thanks, Dave. I'll give it a shot. (Like I need ANOTHER kit in my stash!!)

Tom
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 06:10 AM UTC
Gino -

How were the S-Model folks to work with? Any financial or shipping difficulties?

Thanks,
Dave
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 06:21 AM UTC
I actually got it from another modeler, not from S-Model directly. He said they were pretty easy to order from though and they were delivered pretty quickly. He had nothing bad to say. Good luck.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 06:48 AM UTC
I've had no problems ordering from S-Models.
Usually takes a week to two weeks for the package to arrive, if he has them cast up, if not then a little longer, as I think he cast the slower movers as needed.
 _GOTOTOP