_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Shermans - If at first you don't succeed!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Well several rethinks later here's my latest effort for my 2nd Mk V turret. The difference between the Tamiya M4 turret and the Dragon M4A1 was too pronounced to use the kits in the same dio so I've re-wroked the second turret using a mix of stuff. The turret is another Tamiya one with the early M34 75mm added and the Dragon cupola with some AA commanders hatches. The 4" smoke launchers are home made and the eyeloops simply plastic rod for effect as me and metal don't get on too well. I still need to add the sight vein. I probably need to add a little filler under the mantel!!!

What say you?? Hope the pics are a bit better this time.

Painting is not finished yet but this version is likely to be the final one!!! maybe :-) :-) :-) :-)

All constructive comments welcome.

Cheers

AL
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
Gday Al
The colour has come up a little weird on my monitor maybe? The second pic is ok, but the first is quite grey... I'm thinking the flash...
Well you have done your research young man! I'm not too familiar with the differences between the yank n pom turrets, but just how detailed are you willing to go? The smoke launchers look the part also
Cheers
Brad
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi Brad,

Indoor photos, sometimes they work and sometimes not, flash has something to do with it.

The turret thing came up because I have one Mk V already with a Tamiya M4 turret. On the second I wanted to show the early gun and matel for a bit of difference and opted to use the M4A1 turret thinking it would be less work. However, when I put the two side by side the difference was quite pronounced the Dragon turret being somewhat thicker/broader, quite different anyway. So I re-worked the second from both.

it would appear from another post I have running that the Dragon barrel is much closer to the actual barrel than the Tamiya one, again a difference you can see, but I'll live with what I've got. I have an AFV Stuart V waiting to join them and realised that it had smoke launchers in it so in the end I was able to use those as a guide for this pair.

The eyeloop thing came up because I wanted to leave the 2nd turret bare so to speak, at least not with large stowage maybe just a haversack or something. Normally the camo net would cover all these loops.

Re detail I'm using this one to try out some of the things from Grumpys article. Metal and me just don't get on so if I can attempt it with plastic I'll give it a go. Took a few efforts though as I originally made the wrong size launchers :-) :-) :-)

Even had a go at some welds :-) :-) :-) :-)

All part of the learning process, thanks for you feed back.

Cheers

Al
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC
Hi Al

Tracked down the photo of the Polish Sherman I mentioned yesterday

Sherman

The aerial bases will need a bit of fiddling with, the A set aerial (LHS) needs a conical rubber base and the B set aerial needs a ring around the top, as on the Cromwell or any other British tank equipped with the 19 Set. The Sherman stowage pic you e-mailed me also shows the B set aerial.

All the best

David
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 06:30 PM UTC
Afternoon David,

Thanks for the link and the info on the aerials, have to think about that one. I think I have some PE parts somewhere that might fix the RHS, I'll see if I can shape them without going insane, :-) :-) :-) :-)

Metal , don't you just hate it

Cheers

Al
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 06:39 PM UTC
Nice work you Shermaholic! Are you planning on adding the wiring for the smoke grenades? Will this be an ETO or MTO tank?

Keep up your good work!

Chris
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 07:05 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

This one will join my troop of 2 IG (Armd) tanks in a Normandy setting. I have the Firefly and one Mk V built (unless I decide to re-work them also)and this will be the 2nd Mk V. I'm tempted to add a 3rd to make up the troop, but they will be led by a Stuart V form the Recce Tp so maybe the 2 Mk Vs and the Firefly might do!!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-)

Re the writing - who knows LOL, LOL.

Cheers

Al
sonnyboy
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 252 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:18 PM UTC
HI mCneily,

Your shermie is looking fine! Your tiedowns looks realy nice done! Looking forward to see it finished mate!
blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:55 PM UTC
Looking forward to seeing the complete troop but why not put Michael Caine driving past on a scout car a la "a bridge too far " :-) :-) :-) or possibly crusader AA
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

I had thought about that but Colonel Joe hadn't taken command of the Sqn at that time he was off commanding the 3rd Battalion in the early Normandy campaign, and I haven't acquired a Humber yet which is what he used mainly, althouh St Patrick T211951 was the CO's tank.

My original idea had been a 'Joe's Bridge' type situation but I though that had been done to death already, so these will be set in the operations around Cagny or Caumont in the early campaigns.

I could make it the 2IC's tank St Colum T149849 commanded by Maj GAM Vandelure just to sow a bit of confusion :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP