_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Search function
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hi all,

Is a working search function still an ongoing project or how is it that i can't find even results for words i am sure do exist in the forum?

Examples: On of the last posts in the scratchbuilders forum talks about a "ultrasonic cleaner ".
A search gave 0 results.
A test search for "Clervaux" ( a topic i started a few times) gave 0 results, and so on.

So what is going on regarding the Armorama search function ?

Thank you and cheers
Claude

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 04:00 PM UTC
Not sure what may be happening on the 'on-site' search.

You can always try it from 'google proper' . Go to google and type in your term and add Amorama to it and it may result in better returns
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 06:42 PM UTC
Yes the site Google search (top right) gives results for both those searches. It will probably eventually have the "ultrasonic cleaner" indexed for the Scratchbuilding post as well but keep in mind it has to come back through and spider those new pages.

Which search are you referring to?

Jim
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hallo Jim,

Sorry for the delay for the answer.

Yes, i am trying the upper right "search powered by Google".

If i look for example for "ultasonic cleaner" by selecting armorama i have a fwe commercial results but nothing from Armorama. By selecting the "web" button, i have tousands of web-results, but how can i find the posts on Armorama.

idem for the search word "Clervaux". Two commercial results selecting Armorama and normal Web results whe selecting the button "web".
But where are the threads in the forum?

If i look for the search word "Clervaux - Armorama " over the "web" button , i found one post on another modelling forum referring to my thread on Armorama :-)

I don't know if i explain myself correct here.
Another example! One top thread actually in the Dio-section calls "Smole in a dio".
If i look for the word "smoke" using the google search and click on the "Armorama" only button i have a mere 36 results but no sign of the last thread on the board.

So, sorry, or i don't get it, or there is something wrong

Thank you for your help

Claude

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 09:43 PM UTC
Well... for one you may want to correct your spelling to...

ultrasonic cleaner

:)

As for the other issues we are somewhat at the mercy of Google and which pages (and when) they index the site. Currently there are about 293,000 pages of Armorama cached in Google. That's a lot. The highest I have seen before was about 120,000. Still the reality is that we have probably closer to 500,000+ unique pages on the site. So you are never going to be able to search the whole site via Google.

There is another search system though, if you click the "My Forum Posts" under anyones profile, and then click "Search Again" at the top of that page, you will find a site-specific search that queries our own database. It's a bit hidden and will only display 100 results, but you can probably find the terms you are looking for.

Cheers,
Jim
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 11:36 PM UTC
Thank you for the information Jim,

So, in conclusion, there is no simple and efficace search function.
No way people can look for previous answers on any topic and eventually avoid posting the same questions or retrieve past informations.

As convinient it may be for you do integrate it like that in the site, the potential benefit for the Armorama member is not very big as it seems.

Have a nice weekend

Claude

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 12:17 PM UTC
?

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Jim
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 05:11 PM UTC
Sorry Jim,

I have sometimes a problem to explain myself in english. I do not want to offend you in anyway. I just try to understand.

So , what i don't understand is, why now, as i first wanted to test again before answering you, i find 49 results for the search "Clervaux" the same way as i got 0 results yesterday.
The same for the famous "Ultrasonic cleaner" :-)
9 results now, 0 yesterday.

And i did exactly the same as yesterday !

Cheers

Claude

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 06:08 PM UTC
As I understand Google, if I post something about , say "ultrasonic cleaners" it takes time for Google to incorporate that post into it's cache of results for Armorama, that's why you can find it now and not when you first looked for it.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:49 AM UTC
Quote from Jim :
"There is another search system though, if you click the "My Forum Posts" under anyones profile, and then click "Search Again" at the top of that page, you will find a site-specific search that queries our own database. It's a bit hidden and will only display 100 results, but you can probably find the terms you are looking for.
"

I sincerly apologize for my previous remarks Jim and i understand your critic to my remarks.
After reading the above line, i simply assumed that the overall forum search you mentionned was limited to this posters messages. I was wrong of course.
I certainly should have read that a bit (a lot) more careful and would have understand or try it at least.
I only see now that this is "the" search function i'm looking for.

So i promise to read more carefully in the future.

Cheers
Claude

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:02 PM UTC
Claude,
Glad it all worked out. Sorry for the crossed wires.

Cheers,
Jim
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 05:25 AM UTC
so, just to be clear about this....the "search" button at the top right of the page dosen't really do anything, right?
I've noticed it giving no results for things that it should but didn't want to mention it. But since Claude brought it up...well...what he says is true...and he only mispelled "ultra" in the second post to this forum. Give us alittle credit Jim. The site DOES have a few things that need to be fixed or ironed out. But when a member mentions it in a forum, you pick on them as if they dont know what their talking about.

Abit condesending too,.

Quoted Text

? Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Perhaps i'm wrong in my conclusion to this attitude i've seen used on this site by you. I understand your getting it from all sides, from former members acting childishly on other sites emailing your advertisers and all that other DSB stuff in the past...

As for that problem, it seems that it would have been better to have contacted your advertiser via mass emails (something i'm sure you could do with your database) instead of once again airing the dirty laundry in the forums.

Ahh but then, as a georgia cracker said to me this morning, "maybes i's needs tah re-reads da original text and checks my infos before tickeling my's keyboard".

kevin glackmeyer

EDIT: well shut mah mouth, it seems to be werkin fine now. Squeeky wheel thingy does it again.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but then, as a georgia cracker said to me this morning, maybe i need to re-read the original text and check my info before tickeling my keyboard.

The myth lives on!!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 01:37 PM UTC
Good morning,

To be clear, i consider this issue between Jim and me as closed.
It was a bit of a quick reaction to another quick reaction and misunderstanding, that's it.

The only thing is that this quote of mine is true and correct
"So , what i don't understand is, why now, as i first wanted to test again before answering you, i find 49 results for the search "Clervaux" the same way as i got 0 results yesterday.
The same for the famous "Ultrasonic cleaner"
9 results now, 0 yesterday.
And i did exactly the same as yesterday ! End Quote

The "ultrasonic" search gives 4 results today. So 0, than 9, than 4 ....

So there may be some technical aspects and /or other problems who can lead to this different results, but that's not my thing and i leave that to the experts.

Cheers
Claude
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 07:43 PM UTC
To Kevin:

?