'Basic Training' startdate and rollcall
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi all,

Due to possible other commitments I'll have to bring the startdate for the groupbuild forward a bit, and will start on the first of September. If you are not ready by then is not a big problem, you can join any time you want/are ready. If you are joining in, please post in this tread what you are planning on building.

I'll be building the Italeri 'Commando Jeep'.

Cheers
Henk
Tordenskiold
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 01:01 PM UTC
Thank you Henk,

I will be building the Italeri Kubelwagen 1/35
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 01:11 PM UTC
I've already start my Tamiya Horch...

WC
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 04:32 PM UTC
Henk:

You can count me in. I'm contacting someone about purchasing the Tamiya Panther G (late version), even as I type. So, barring any unforeseen difficulties, this will be my kit for the build.

I'm currently trying to make a decent representation of the Renault UE 630(f) mit Pak 35/36, and this is pretty trying (I'm nearing completion of the RPM kit of this subject, with the DML Pak). It will be nice to switch to the Tamiya Panther, where everything just falls in place. I think that a troublefree kit like this will let me concentrate on getting a better handle on the basics, and this is what I hope to get from the group build.

Thanks for organizing this, Henk. I really look forward to learning a lot and having a lot of fun.

Dave
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Due to possible other commitments I'll have to bring the startdate for the groupbuild forward a bit, and will start on the first of September. If you are not ready by then is not a big problem, you can join any time you want/are ready. If you are joining in, please post in this tread what you are planning on building.

I'll be building the Italeri 'Commando Jeep'.

Cheers
Henk

Tamiya Matilda AND Universal Carrier.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 06:35 PM UTC
Henk, what are the "rules" or guidelines for this build?
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 06:42 PM UTC
I want to do a Tamiya SU-122... one color, no turret, what could possibly go wron...go wron...go wron... anyway it sounds like fun. Thanks, Henk.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Henk, what are the "rules" or guidelines for this build?

Rob,

I'm using the term 'Groupbuild' loosely, the objective of this is to have a OOB build of a 'simple' kit, with plenty of explanation of the basic building and painting skills for those who consider themselfs newbees or returnees or such.
Rather than just posting pictures of my building a kit, I want to encourage as many as possible, many who have not posted photos before, to post pics of their progress and finished work. Safety in numbers perhaps?
The rules, as this is not an offical campaign or such and there are no coloured ribbons to be won, are simple,
Build a model OOB
Paint using brushes
have fun.

Cheers
Henk
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC
I know it wasn't an official one, that's why I put rules in quotations. I was just wondering what was expected from participants. Seems like you also want sort of a step-by-step documentation (photo and text) of the build as well?
PvtMutt
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 614 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:28 PM UTC
Like I said earlier,i've got an Opel truck started and covered
with black primer.

Was planning on painting it grey and full of supplies.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:34 PM UTC
Im in Henk, Italieri commando car.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was just wondering what was expected from participants. Seems like you also want sort of a step-by-step documentation (photo and text) of the build as well?

I'll be doing the 'step by step', with plenty of pictures and explanations. Participants may (and will be encouraged to) post as many pictures as they want, or feel happy with, but that is not a requirement to partake.

Just to clarify, here are the 'guidelines' for the participants.

1 model must be out of the box.
2 no aftermarket parts or details.
3 no 'major' modifications, other than perhaps thinning a mudguard or so with sand paper.
4 filler can be used if neccessary, to fill a seam or such, but no major re-shaping of 'errors' of the model. OOB means OOB in this case.
5 painting with a brush.
6 you are encouraged to post progress photos, but you don't have to.

7 no 'dressing up' of models this time around.
8 small mishaps are for learning, so this will be a 'clean' build without mud or stowage to cover any errors. ( I may well regret this... :-) )

Some thoughts
This is mainly for those who feel that they lack the basic skills or experience to build (and display) models. Thats why I want to keep it simple and without any fancy tricks. This does not mean that I want to exclude anybody, as we can all learn something new or different every day, but I want to encourage the 'newbees', not intimidate them. Sorry to be a bit blund about this, but the reason I came up with this is because there are a lot of people out here who comment that they are 'to intimidated' to show their efforts. So lets all join in the spirit and just build a nice model.

Ben,
The Horch is a good example of the type of kit we are talking about, just hold your horses untill the first..

Tony,
Is that the Italeri one? Another good example that a kit need not be expensive or have 800 parts to be good. As for filling the back with supplies, see above, a few drums would be o.k., but lets not get carried away.

John,
Commando car is a nice little kit, I remember building it many moons ago as a kid, looking forward to doing it again.

Cheers
Henk
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

5 painting with a brush.

I think that this is where I'll give myself a bit of latitude. After all, I've only used my compressor and airbrush a couple of times (an infant daughter keeps me from getting too many kits to the point of painting :-) ). Of course I won't be trying any fancy cammo schemes with it, but I definitely need every opportunity I can get to practice. I hope that this won't cause too much heartburn with any of the other participants.

Dave
cutter
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hello All
I'm in on this one. This is a cool idea. Just started building the Testors Opel Blitz. I will try to post some pictures. Adam
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC
Once again, count me in. I'll build the Academy M1025 Humvee in ODS markings. I'll have to see how good my brush-painting skills are since I don't yet have an airbrush.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:25 AM UTC
I'll give this one a whirl. Going to whack at Tamiya's 250/9.

BTW, permissible to replace clunk parts with strip stock? Although not truly OOB, it's a basic building skill.

Jed
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:31 AM UTC
Henk,

I think I will start on another piece when the time comes. Besides, I need to take better pictures.

Can we use spray cans?

WC
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can we use spray cans?

Ben,

As spraycans are available, at relative low cost, at most hobbyshops, yes, it would be a good idea to see the use of a rattlecan. No camo this time though...

Cheers
Henk
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 07:55 AM UTC
Looking at the Tamiya 250/9, I get the urge to replace the clunky bits, so will switch to the italeri WW2 Jeep. Will keep it nice and simple.

Jed
Sabot
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at the Tamiya 250/9, I get the urge to replace the clunky bits, so will switch to the italeri WW2 Jeep. Will keep it nice and simple.

Jed

It's hard to resist upgrading the kit if after market accessories are available. I think I may throw my hat into the ring with one of the old Matchbox kits. Nothing really available to add to them so there is little to tempt me.
mightymouse
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 08:21 AM UTC
It'll be a good idea to post link to all of your builds within an official thread for ease of navigation.
I'm quite intereste to see how this works out.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:51 PM UTC
Henk

If the academy M-151A1 WITH 105mm RECOILLESS GUN is suitable i'm in.

I only build OOB at the moment, but usually use an airbrush, so it'll be nice to return to 20 years ago and get the brushes out again.

Andy
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 01:17 PM UTC
Thanks to a good friend, I have the Tamiya "Jimmy," or "Deuce and a half" from World War II in stock - it looks very nice straight from the box, and being a Tamiya kit its very easy to build.

Since I don´t have an airbrush, rule number 5 is really easy... :-)

Another easy and allmost perfect kit at a very reasonable price is the trumpeter KV´ series if anybody needs inspiration.

Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hey Henk,

Im in I have the Italeri Commando Car as well. I also have a Centurion AVRE on the go at the moment, but that can be put on the back burner.

Lets bring it on !!

Kev
Sabot
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Can we use spray cans?

Ben,

As spraycans are available, at relative low cost, at most hobbyshops, yes, it would be a good idea to see the use of a rattlecan. No camo this time though...

Cheers
Henk

I'm just glad he doesn't require tube glue.
 _GOTOTOP