_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Wire grab handles
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hi Guys

Are there any recomendations for tools for creating wire grab handles??

Andy
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC
Copper wire, thin brass rod, and a jig. I've marked a spot on some needlle nose pliers with tape and simply folded copper wire over. I then drilled holes to receive the wire. Leave one leg longer to set into the hole and cut the other leg the length you need.
There is a professional jig tool out there.
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC
The Grab Handler from Mission Models is what I use. Works perfect, but a bit pricey. http://www.missionmodels.com/home.php?cat=315
cropduster
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
It's all about Mission Models' Grabhandler. I am a Red armour addict and this tool is easy to use and makes the whole process of evenly bent handles a breeze!
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Al , Tim , Drew

Thanks for the quick response. I'm gonna try the needle nose approach for the moment.

Andy
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Find a pair of pliers with serrated jaws, that taper towards the tip. You place your wire along one of the "teeth" until you find the width that works for you. Note the location with a marker and you can come back to make other handles the same width. Same idea as the grabhandler -- just much cheaper.

Bend the wire using a flat screwdriver tip. This will give you sharper bends rather than just folding the wire manually.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC
I have a Grabhandler, and it works, but I like Roy's method with the serrated needlenose pliers and flat-bladed screwdriver. With the GradhandIer, I usually get one nice, square corner on one side, but the other side is almost always a tad rounder. which I attribute to user error. I will try combining the two (Grabhandler and flat-bladed screwdriver) on my next batch. It would probably be quicker using the properly marked pliers than the Grabhandler (the unscrew the clamp , position the wire, tighten the clamp, bend, bend, open and repeat routine) but I've already sunk the money into the Grabhandler, so there it is.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 08:10 PM UTC
Agree with Al here Andy... Have a mark on some needle nose tweezers. I use 8 amp fuse wire mostly, and the corresponding drill bit for the pin vise... Especially as I make my own periscope guards. With 2 opposing 'angles', they need to be the same shape to look correct...
GEB002
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
Another way. An old model railroad trick is: take a piece of fairly thick styrene, drill a hole just slighly larger than the diameter of your wire not far from the edge of the plastic, measure out the desired width of your handle, cut a slot in from the edge of the plastic. Place the wire into the hole, bend the first side, put the wire on top of the slot, make the second bend. A "poor man's Grab Handler". You will probably still need the screwdriver or such to get real sharp bend, but using this jig will ensure equal width grab irons or handles. You can obviously use the same chunk of plastic for several widths of handles, creating a reusable jig for
future projects.

By the way, speaking of model railroads; a company named Detail Associates offers a VERY NICE range of brass wire to model railroaders. The diameters range from .006 on up to quite large. The cost is about $3.00 USD for a package. The number of pieces per package varies with the diameter range. They are available at www.walthers.com or from many US model railroad suppliers. The Walthers site is a large model RR supplier than also carries multiple brands/sizes of plastic, wood, glues, tool, and lots of scenery products. It's a handy source for train buffs or tank modelers.

Gary
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:30 AM UTC
Thanks to you all for your responses.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Andy
hattals
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:50 AM UTC
Ausfwerks makes an awesome bender...works great, much better than anything on the market!

http://ausfwerks.com//store/ausfdesign/ad1601/T.html
Bigskip
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:50 PM UTC
This link works
 _GOTOTOP