Hosted by Darren Baker
Question on Tam deuce and a half
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:31 AM UTC
I have a simple question. I am building this kit for a special project. Is it more correct to mount the ribs for the canvas cover on the back, mount them in the folded position, or leave them off completely since I am not going to cover the back end?

Thanks in advance
Mark
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 06:34 AM UTC
All three options are equally correct. It can be either way. Depends on how you prefer.
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 09:00 AM UTC
Thanks Gino, I appreciate it.
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
A quick but sad update to this.

This project was for my Father in Law. He was a decorated WWII Veteran who fought in the Pacific. His unit was decorated for action in Luzon. He was part of the group who first set foot in Tokyo after the surrender and was present when the American Flag was raised over the embassy for the first time since the war began.
My Father in Law passed away one week ago today from heart failure. He was given a military funeral with full honors, which is always impressive in its own right. This service was made special because a special contingent of US Army Rangers arrived at the funeral unexpectedly. They handled the folding and presentation of the flag to my Mother in Law. It really meant alot to everyone there when the Ranger Sgt. presented the flag to her "On behalf of the President of the United States". When the American Legion does the presentation it is always done as "On behalf of a greatful nation". A little something special on an extremely sad occasion.

The model was given to him in a presentation box while he was in the hospital two weeks before he passed away. I was able to see his face light up as he examined it. It stayed at his bedside for one week before he was released to go home. I was extremely surprised when the same model was placed in front of the flag draped casket at the memorial service. Everyone was told how much it meant to him.

The model was not the best or most accurate build possible but at this point I dont really care. It meant more to me knowing how he felt about it.

Thanks for reading.
garthbender
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hey Mark,

I have to admit, this is one of the coolest things I've read in a long, long time. What a great gift for, not only your father-in-law, but for your entire family! You should be really proud of yourself.

~ Garth
Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 337 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:59 AM UTC
Mark,

My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family. I lost my father 4 weeks ago. I have since been trying to do a conversion to depict the truck my Father had in 1953. No luck on info so far tho.

Take Care,
Taylor...
JGags
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 01:45 AM UTC
Mark,
My condolences to you and your family. It is always special to hear how our hobby can touch someone in a way that transcends the normal boundaries of our craft. Thank you for sharing.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:05 AM UTC
My condolences to you and your family. I am glad to have helped in the project.

I did something similar for my wife's grandfather a few years ago as well. He was a B-17 ball turret gunner in WWII, was shot down and a POW as well. For his 75th b-day, I made him a replica of his B-17 in flight on a base with the 15th AF patch and a plaque with his crew # and name, etc. He cherished it till he died a couple years ago at the age of 85. I now have it sitting on my shelf as a memorial and reminder of him.

Unfortunately, we are loosing the heroes of that generation all too quickly.
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC
Mark -

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. What a special and touching tribute you provided as well as memory. I lost my father to lymphoma cancer a few years ago and was fortunate to have enough time to work with him on a Monogram 1/48 B-29 model and put together a shadow box of his Army Air Corp rank, patches,etc (he was a Crew Chief on B-29s). Very special memories for me and was really what got me back into modeling again.

Blade48mrd
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
Thanks to you all for the replies. It has been a highly emotional and trying time for us all. My Father in Law was the pillar that always kept control of the family. At the funeral we had someone read a letter written to him by Eisenhower (sp). I found out a lot of things that I did not know about the man I was having daily conversations with.

Thanks for your support
Mark
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 05:15 PM UTC
My sincere condolences to you and your family Mark, as you pass through this grieving time.
 _GOTOTOP