_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M-10 My very first model
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
Here are a few photos of my very first model, an Academy M-10.

Now I know there are loads of things I can improve on, and I'm sure my next one will be better, but I would appreciate any comments.

Overall I was fairly happy with the final result, I gave the tank a wash and some drybrushing, but both of these techniques will be better next time. Decided to put it on a small stand and include the 3 figures which are also the first ones I've ever done.

My own thoughts are: More drybrushing/weathering especially of the tracks, some decals did not stick down too well, weathering etc of the inside of the turret was not done and should have been. I didn't fill any seams at all, but I am doing that on my next one. I also forgot to put a radio aerial on it!!

Thanks in advance for your comments

Roger

octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 03:43 AM UTC
Roger,

Nice M10 you have done. Actually, it's not bad for the first model that you have built. My first kit was a mess. Keep it up.

Steve, Sushi and Pig #6
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 03:55 AM UTC
Roger, nice job on your M10. This is an excellent effort for your first model--at this rate you are probably a future Armorama "Modeler of the Month" candidate!

It sounds like you have already identified areas that you want to work on in your next model -so go for it!

Thanks for the pics.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 03:56 AM UTC
Looks great. Keep trying those new techiques and soon it will all come together. Very nice job.

Nate
WISC. USA
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 04:33 AM UTC
Very very nice there Favorisio, Much better than my first armor model.. just remember 1 thing.. and I know from personal Experience that this is true...

We are All Our Own Worst Critic's..

meaning that when we build something we tend to see what could have been better or wrong.. and others don't, unless they are looking at their own work...

Exception to this rule is rivet counters..... but pay them no mind
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Quoted Text

We are All Our Own Worst Critic's..

Thanks Del, I'm sure you're right about this, but I also feel it's important to criticise you're own work. If you set you're own standards too low ..... poor results can only follow. Given the circumstances I am fairly happy with the results this time, but the same standards will not be good enough next time.

Although I have in no way manipulated the photos, I think they are quite kind to me.

Roger
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 05:01 AM UTC
Favorisio - Man - I wish my first armor was that good. Very Nice. I really like it. I like the addition of the base and figures (then again I'm a dio kind a guy). I like the tank tracks off the back, very nice, I like the action between the two guys in back. The picture setting even adds a bit of nice color to the background. As you stated you WILL get better over time and you're already starting out at a very nice level.
Comments encouragements I can offer are not at all criticisms. Fill in some of the 'dead' space in the back left corner with something, maybe some bigger rocks or a shrub. Maybe some footprints or snow 'smudges' where the guys moved forward. I like the snow on the tracks, I would extend it farther up to the fenders and if the tank was outside, I'd add some to the deck.
Again - very good job. I would pat myself on the back for that one.
Keep on buildin'

Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
Thanks Scott, I intend to put all my models into some kind of "dio" setting. Eventually I hope to do something bigger.

Quoted Text

Fill in some of the 'dead' space in the back left corner with something, maybe some bigger rocks or a shrub. Maybe some footprints or snow 'smudges' where the guys moved forward. I like the snow on the tracks, I would extend it farther up to the fenders and if the tank was outside, I'd add some to the deck.

I will do something with the quiet corner, probably some bigger rocks, don't fancy tackling shrubbery yet . I wasn't sure about the snow on the tracks, thought I'd overdone it considering there is only a dusting on the ground. I tried putting some on the tank body, but it looked a mess so I took it off (still looks a mess from the back ). I used talcum powder for the snow which was fine on the base, but I think I need an alternative for the deck. Had trouoble finding model snow in my local shops (Northern England, UK) so might try an on-line store.

Roger
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 05:39 AM UTC
Favor,

It's very nice Dio you got there. I especially like the weathering of the snow. How did you do it?

First Model, god, you definitely have some talent!

Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I especially like the weathering of the snow. How did you do it?

Thanks a lot Dave.

I sprayed the previously painted and weathered ground cover with diluted wood glue and sprinkled liberally with talcum powder, removed excess by tapping the base while upside down (base, not me) then blew it in one direction followed by light brushing in the same direction using a soft paintbrush to let the talc "build up" against the textured base. Brushed away the snow from the ground behind the tank tracks. Finally a spraying of hairspray which also toned down the snow effect.

The snow on the tank tracks was flicked off of a paint brush onto the tracks having painted a little glue on first, again brushing off the excess helped to clump it a bit.

Glad you liked it. I have to say though that all the techniques were learned from this fantastic site. :-)

Roger
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 06:31 AM UTC
I envy you people just starting out ...Took me years to get to what you have done with your first kit....In my days you just bought a kit and tried things out till it looked right ...Thank God Shep. Paine showed up !!! Your M-10 looks great ....keep up the good work...I would be proud of it if I were you . The weathering and other technics will come soon enough ,each kit will be a little better. You are on the right path!

Richard
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 09:01 AM UTC
Favorisio - good point on the dusting of snow as far as going up on the fenders. If it was muddy then you might see the mud up there. Still may venture a bit of snow on the deck.
If diorama building is in your future you have a bright future. I would recommend Shep Paines book - the second edition. It has a ton of stuff and I find my self always going back and re-reading it.
The snow method you used is right on. I understand about using what you have if you can't get a ready made product. You did a great job on it.
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 10:45 AM UTC
Favorisio, that is one fine job you've done! I understand your concern about overdoing weathering and the like, but I would suggest maybe drybrushing a light mud finish on the hull sides over the bottom of the tank # and star and under the fenders; Is that based on the Ardennes? Not to criticize a well done dio (really, I'm not a rivet counter type), but the tank itself looks a bit too "showroom new" for the conditions it was serving in IMHO...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:21 AM UTC
Rodger, that's a very nice job at your first build!
Keep up the terrific work...we'll all be waiting with baited breath for your next.
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that based on the Ardennes? the tank itself looks a bit too "showroom new" for the conditions it was serving in IMHO...

Thanks for the comments. Yes, my main interest is ETO from D-Day onwards, so the Bulge is a big part of that obviously. My "excuse" for the lack of mud is that the ground in my base looked more frozen with dusting of snow than muddy with snow. I know of course that the tank would still have mud on it, but I just wanted to try out a few techniques at a time. You should have seen the first attempt at weathering it , I had to repaint the base coat and start again, it looked a right mess, so the second attempt was toned right down, maybe too far.

Cheers
Roger
63chevyvette
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hey man,
One word, WOW, I am currently on my first armor model and it is a disaster. But I am also doing a difficult one (my perspective). But otherwise very good.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
FAVORISIO, Wow, really good job. Extra cudos for the figures. What kit are they from, they look great. Weathering is a tough skill to learn so don't worry about it. You have a nice clean build with an excellent paint job. Plus you tried a wash on your first model?? My hats off to you. I have recently finished my first armor and I left it pretty factory clean too. You can only try so many new things on one model right? What is the next project??
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I used talcum powder for the snow which was fine on the base, but I think I need an alternative for the deck.

Favorisio, great job on your first one!
If you want some light snow over your vehicle, try hair spray with food soda. Spray from above and sprinkle just a little soda over that. I liked the result it gave my 122 howitzer:

Good job, keep on building!

Toni
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
Thanks all of you for your very kind comments. I was never very sure of how my building and more especially painting would measure up, but you have all given me the incentive to continue. Cheers

Quoted Text

Extra cudos for the figures. What kit are they from
you tried a wash on your first model??
What is the next project??

Bison44, The figures are Tamiya from a set of 6 but I can't remember the name of the set, I think they are fairly new.

I actually tried 2 washes!! The first one was a disaster and had to be repainted!!!

I have just started a Tiger I (Italeri) which I am finding harder, but also have a Tamiya Sherman M4A3 to do as well as a Tamiya Hanomag Sdkfz251/1. And a set of Dragon German Tank Crew as well.

Bitten by the bug...... Not me!!!

Roger
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wasn't sure about the snow on the tracks, thought I'd overdone it considering there is only a dusting on the ground.

Roger

I tend to agree with you here. You have a rahter light dusting of snow to have gone that high on the tracks which are metal and would have some heat generated from friction causing it to melt. Given how your guys are dressed, it's not that cold for the snow to freeze up like that.

You mentioned problems with your decals...Did you lay a gloss coat down before applting them? That will help them adhere, especially if the base color is really flat.

Overall, however, this is an excellent first effort. Congrats.

Al
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC
Very nice looking diorama Just some observations Is the tank destroyer abandoned? If so you may also want to try to leave the driver and co-drivers hatches open But all in all it looks very good,especially for your firdt time
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You mentioned problems with your decals...Did you lay a gloss coat down before applting them? That will help them adhere, especially if the base color is really flat.

Yeah, I painted on a coat of future (Klear) before putting the decals on, maybe i need more than one coat. Most of them went on OK, but the large number on the opposite side from the photograph is quite poor. I never gave a thought to the clothing of the figures, it certainly doesn't match the overall feel, they were added to give a bit more interest and also for practice as much as anything, but I appreciate the comments. There was a bit more snow on the ground at first as well, so the snow on the wheels looked more in keeping, but I lost quite a bit in the follow up work, so now it looks overdone on the wheels.

Generalzod, no it's not supposed to be abandoned, but I couldn't find any figures to put in the turret so just thought I'd add some on the ground instead. Good comment though, thanks.

Roger
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:23 AM UTC
I started modelling about 20 months ago, and although happy with my achievements at the time i realise now what i can improve on! You have already seen for yourself, which is important. I think overall its a really great attempt and you have a talant especially the way you laid out the tank and the figures do add a life to the overall dio. I agree with some rocks or shrubs at the corners and sides would add so much! keep trying new things and it will all come to you. Practice makes perfect as they say!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 12:03 PM UTC
Roger

I always miss the good things there for I`m always late for these kinda things

Great job man. I wish my first tank looked as good as this one. great job.
Congrats
I drink a beer with you Have an Amstel or do you prefer Heineken

Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
WOW... I too just got back into modeling last year on a T-34 after a 15 year break, and I still have some parts from that tank super glued to the back of my arm (please dont ask), I gotta say that you did a great job, very nice work

Bender
 _GOTOTOP