_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
PHOTOS: MODEL
GMC Fuel Tanker
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:13 PM UTC
Dave O''Meara (Grumpyoldman) shows everybody his GMC Fuel Tanker here, which was based on the Heller kit with a conversion set from Fonderie Miniature.

GMC Fuel Tanker

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:51 PM UTC
Absolutely superb Dave. Great work. I have lots to learn from you. Thanks for posting it Vinnie.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks Charles, but knowing your scratch building skills, I believe I have a lot more to learn from you.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC
Dave..

That is a great looking model... its just shouting character....

I am curious about something though.. the 2 large tanks were they connected together or were they kept unconnected?

:-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 03:37 AM UTC
Not being an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday inn, :-)
But I'll take an educated guess, I believe they were separate, but had an equalizing line between them, with perhaps isolation valves. It was hard enough finding photos of the vehicle, much less finding a piping diagram. I also couldn't find anything on whether it had any pumping equipment, or just discharged by gravity.
So don't turn it over.... there's no piping..... :-) :-)
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 06:02 AM UTC
Nice job Dave, bringing it to Amps? The only nit pic I have is the use of the word Flammable. I belive in 1940's the term then in use was inflammable. This term was changed to flammable recently to avoid confusion with the prefix in meaning to intensify rather than negate. Again Super job, cannot wait to see it!
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 06:24 AM UTC
yes , a very nice rather rare version of the ol' girl. But, aren't the headlight guards abit too thick? They don't even resemble wire.. they look more like flatiron.

am i the only one that sees this? Not to take anything away from the build Dave , but thats the first thing i look at on the old CCKW. You know, it's like looking at a photograph....you look right at the eyes first.

kevin

EDIT: Oh crap, this is 1/72nd? oh 1/35th? someone set me and everyone elso on the site straight on the friggin scale please.

Why on earth isn't there anywhere in this review the mention of what the scale is for this? Heller makes both sizes. Are we supposed to just know this? It would be very informative if the scale of a build was mention atleast somewhere in the thread.

So, i guess if it is 72nd that would mean that the light guards should be scratched from smaller wire.

kevin, again
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 06:47 AM UTC
Really like the GMC Dave. Youve done a great conversion on the fuel tanks considering the lack of photos for the old truck.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 09:14 AM UTC
Nice job, Dave.

Quoted Text

But, aren't the headlight guards abit too thick? They don't even resemble wire.. they look more like flatiron.

Kevin: The brush guard was made of bar stock, not rod. I agree Dave should have thinned it a bit more, but that Heller kit needs a lot of TLC and he did a nice job.

Dave: Did the louvered panels on the sides of the engine compartment come with the Fonderie kit? They look pretty sweet -- that's the one thing that bugs me most about duece kits.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 12:02 PM UTC
Oh and Kevin? It's not a review................... :-)

Vinnie
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 03:50 PM UTC
I agree I should have thinned the brush guards a little, I will for the next Heller kit I do.
The side panels on on the hood, are the kit parts, I simply sanded them much thinner, and scraped through using the back of a #11 blade.
Kevin, it's not a review, but it's 1/35.

John, I'm not sure about flammable vs inflammable, as they are simply the kit decals, and the only thing I'm bringing to AMPS is Pvt Parts and my camera.... :-) :-)
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

Thanks for this one another really great build. Love it.

Cheers

Al
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC
Well thaanks for setting me straight. So, it is not wire, i don't believe i've ever heard of that being used. I searched a few sites and all show the wire. Many thanks then....and cheers to you and your Private Parts, Dave.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 09:38 PM UTC
Actually Kevin, they were made from a combination of FLAT BAR, and ROUND STOCK, which is a lot thicker than "wire". So the wonderfully exhorted photo etched ones fall flat in representing the flat bar, and round rod also, why even the greatest since sliced bread Tamyia kit had the round rods just about the same thickness as the flat bar, although they molded thinner and are slightly rounded on the front they are flat in the rear. The closest made are actually the resin ones from Master Productions. Perhaps the next Heller kit I do, I'll scratch build the grill and light guards, since I have a few of the Heller duce and a halves, I'm sure I'll be building a few others.

This restored example has the words Flammable. So maybe he has his major investment spelt wrong also.

:-) :-)
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
Great work Dave! Nice looking build on an unusual subject. Definitely will add a lot of character to the collection!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC
Thanks Kevin B, I'm working on the Tamyia with the CMK conversion now.
It's interesting how two different manufactures tackled the same subject.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

I like your conversion very much.
I'm really wants to see how your next build will be and maybe have some pros and cons from you on both builds.
As i need a lot of vehicles on my dio, i am defintely interested in one of those.

Cheers
Claude

_GOTOTOP