_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
How come that..?
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 09:43 PM UTC
the Korean or Vietnam War doesn't have its own place, or does it count as US Modern? I know, silly question......just cuirous.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 05:16 AM UTC
If you look up above the Armor and Diorama forums you can click on Vietnam and it will only show that subject. I think thats the only two places though. Not sure about Korean war .
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 06:22 AM UTC
When I first started seriously modeling in the 1980s, the breakdown was "WW2" or "Modern". Now that "modern" has stretched for 60+ years, we probably need to redefine the genres. Although I suspect a lot of flak from the WW2 modelers. For them, nothing has changed.

We probably need to have WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Middle East Wars, Cold War, Desert Storm, OIF, and whatever other military modeling conflicts arise.

Remember, Vietnam lasted longer than WW2 and OIF will most likely outlast it as well.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 09:35 PM UTC
We all know that Korea is known as "The Forgotten War", and Vietnam is "The War Everyone Is Still Trying To Forget".
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
I agree that the areas probably do need to be 'refined' to reflect more precisely the areas of conflict, but there is a danger that as you define those conflicts, the content becomes less and less. The overwhelming proportion of modeller's list WWII as their main interest, then there is a large group of 'Modern' armour modeller's, If you define it too closely, it 'spreads out' the content that would normally be listed under 'modern' even more. Then again, the content of Armorama pretty well matches the interests of those that are members, since it is they who 'drive' the site.

Vinnie
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
For me theres:

pre-WW2

WW2

Post WW2 - Nam

Post-Nam

The reason I count WW2 as a single but short period is due to the huge development and improvement in armor - in a short span of 5 years you saw a development from Pz I - Tiger II or from mathilde to Comet, or from Staurt to Pershing.

In no other period did we see so big steps.

Nam was more or less fought with pretty old gear and saw relativly little development of armor since it wasn“t really a "tankers" war.

Cheers
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC
This topic can be conintued over here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/83970&page=1

Thanks,