Hosted by Darren Baker
Ontos and M52A1
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 06:08 PM UTC
How are Hobbyfan Ontos and M52A1 kits? Any issues I should know? Do they have interiors? In case they don´t have would be easy to make it?

Thanks in advance,
Angel
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 10:20 PM UTC
Someone on Missing Lynx was selling the Hobby Fan Ontos for $90. If you ask him, he can probably tell you about the model: http://www.network54.com/Forum/47214/thread/1157221773/stuff+fer+sale+resin+hobbyfan
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 11:32 AM UTC
Thanks Robin,
Angel
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 08:13 AM UTC
I've got the Hobby Fan Ontos and it is a good kit. No interior details or decals, though. $90.00 is an excellent price for that kit.

Now with that being said, there is a strong rumor that a styrene Ontos kit (rumored to be from AFV Club) is due to appear on the market in the future. No doubt, if it comes out as a styrene kit, it will be a heck of a lot cheaper than $90.00!Dunno if this is true or not, but I just thought I'd throw it out there in case you are a gambling man

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 08:33 AM UTC
That is good news. I know some of the guys here at Fort Knox that got an Ontos restored and running. It was a dream come true to be able to climb into that track, although it was quite a tight squeeze, even for someone of my small size.

The Renwal/Revell Ontos was one of my favorite kits from my youth.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 08:51 AM UTC
You said it, Rob! I'm a small guy, too, and when I saw the Ontos they have been restoring out here in El Monte, CA (or thereabouts), I went, "Whoa! Now that's gotta be a tight squeeze!" Kind of like the tanker's equivilent of being a ball turret gunner or tunnel rat... No basketball players on THOSE crews! :-)

Can't wait for the rumored styrene Ontos to hit the market --- if priced right, I would consider purchasing a couple for a Hue diorama. I believe (and I could be wrong) that they also made an appearance in our little trip down to the Dominican Republic in the 60's.

Guess I gotta wait for that long-delayed AFV Club Duster, first...perhaps we can convince them that THE GERMANS actually fielded the Duster in WWII. No doubt, this would result in an immediate and fervant release!

Okay, I'm in kind of a sarcastic mood tonight.

Much Aloha, amigos,

Johnny B. [
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:55 AM UTC
Thanks Johnny,

Hope there is an Ontos in plastic soon.

Angel
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 06:17 AM UTC
I had the experience of being in a bunker next to an Ontos in one of the first firefights I was in in Vietnam. Between the old M-1919 .30 cal machine gun and the 6 recoiless rifles, that machine could really make an emphatic statement in the dark. I preferred being in the bunker though....."a movin foxhole attracts the eye"

Whiskey6
Vendetta
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 02:58 AM UTC
I've just bought one. But let me tell you the kit is a pain the a.....!!!
They don't match or fit propertly. The instructions are lame and you have to figure out ways to make it look right. I am a modeler for 16 years building vehicles and figures of all kinds but this kit is eating my lunch.. I got glue all over my fingers from parts that keep falling.. a total disaster... I hate it because I've saved money to buy this expensive kit but because of it it is not in the garbage can. I would like to contact Hobby Fan and ask for refund or send me one that every part fits correctly...

Vendetta
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got glue all over my fingers from parts that keep falling.. a total disaster...

I don't get this statement. It is a resin kit. A little super glue and hold the part in place a few seconds and it should hold fast forever (practically). What are you using for glue?

In my experience, Hobby Fan kits are great. Nicely enginneered, well detailed, etc. I have had no issues with them.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe (and I could be wrong) that they also made an appearance in our little trip down to the Dominican Republic in the 60's.

You're right Johnny
http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/yates/yates.asp

Frenchy
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 04:26 AM UTC
Rob-- is there any chance you can get some photos of the Knox Ontos posted here? I'd like to see that driver position.
thanks
DJ
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 08:38 AM UTC

]
DJ It looks like Rob posted to this about 2 years ago so he may not look at it.

On another note....I guess Gary is getting bored again.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob-- is there any chance you can get some photos of the Knox Ontos posted here? I'd like to see that driver position.
thanks
DJ

DJ, check out this site. They have photographed the restoration project of the knox Ontos: http://hometown.aol.com/biskit89/ProjOntos.html
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:42 AM UTC
Gary/Rob-- great photos of a unique vehicle lovingly restored...if only they would do some of the same work at Aberdeen. I had two jeep mounted 106 RR in the anti-tank section of the weapons platoon in the mech infantry company I commanded in '71. An awesome weapons system even back then. I cannot imagine the noise from inside that vehicle when firing those weapons. It is impressive when she let's go.
DJ
Sabot
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary/Rob-- great photos of a unique vehicle lovingly restored...if only they would do some of the same work at Aberdeen. I had two jeep mounted 106 RR in the anti-tank section of the weapons platoon in the mech infantry company I commanded in '71. An awesome weapons system even back then. I cannot imagine the noise from inside that vehicle when firing those weapons. It is impressive when she let's go.
DJ

DJ, the problem with the APG museum is location. The former Soldiers who retire around there were mainly Ordnance, not the men of Armor and Cavalry that lived on, fought in and loved/hated the vehicles they crewed.

I sat through one of Dr. Atwater's briefings on vehicle restoration. It appears to be more of an environmental issue (the sand blasted paint residue and dirty water from pressure washing) have to be disposed of and recycled. The Chesapeake Bay area watershed are a little more concerned with the environment than Kentucky.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 07:47 AM UTC
I am assuming these beasts were externally loaded. Were the guns fired in sequence or able to fire all at once or in groupings? I can only imagine the back blast area from 6 106mm recoiless's going off in such a small area.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 08:18 AM UTC
Here's a video of one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0t-0l0Zv0I
Sabot
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am assuming these beasts were externally loaded. Were the guns fired in sequence or able to fire all at once or in groupings? I can only imagine the back blast area from 6 106mm recoiless's going off in such a small area.

3-man crew, driver, gunner, loader. He had to dismount to load the rifles. The weapons could be fired in sequence, pairs or one giant salvo. One rifle on each side was dismountable. Each recoilless rifle had a .50 cal spotting rifle for ranging.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:13 AM UTC
Six 106mm RRs loaded with beehive sitting inside the wire in any compound are going to make a serious statement to any potential attacking commander.

Paul
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

I have access to one that's all buttoned up, and can get photos for you.
gary
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Six 106mm RRs loaded with beehive sitting inside the wire in any compound are going to make a serious statement to any potential attacking commander.

Paul

An Ontos inside the wire is not really a good thing. The back blast from a 106 recoiless rifles is huge! So nothing can be behind it and survive. Back in the day the absolute most feared behive round was from a Sheridan, and it wasn't all that nice to be next to. I probably didn't see ten Ontos tracks in my fifteen months over there
gary
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now with that being said, there is a strong rumor that a styrene Ontos kit (rumored to be from AFV Club) is due to appear on the market in the future.

Johnny B.

You realize the fastest way to get a kit produced in styrene is to either scratch build it yourself or pay big bucks for a resin kit, all the PE and research you can find it, and get half way threw building it.

It never fails for me.
 _GOTOTOP