cafe honeycut episode IV
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 06:11 PM UTC
::A NEW HOPE::
Gday there, got some more work done on yet another building...

It was my weekend effort and took me bloody hours! Sun was shining though... There is plenty to still do, such as filling all gaps, finishing the corner stones, slate tiles for the roof (Claude, where are you?!)
It will go on to my base which I have previously posted a pic of; with a brick road and sewer cover, and curbs which I have carved out of wood filler... More pics of that to follow...
A close up of the dormer window. I will cut through the roof for access to the window from inside later...
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 06:21 PM UTC
Hi Brad,

You building looks great so far, you have the tallent for building them and quite a production rate!! The attic window is a nice touch what setting is the building for? It has a very modern looking door.

Cheers

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
Gday Al
Gonna be a Normandy town scene...
The door looks kind of newish, but it is just the different colours involved, I swear! Once primed and painted in more sedate colours you'd be none the wiser
Here is a partial shot of the rest of the dio base

The road is from Kancali (highly recommended!) on which I have used a wood filler... Looks good to me at the moment, but won't know until it gets a primer...
In the background you can just make out the gate which will align on the right wall of the building as in the first pic...
Have a question whilst I'm here...
On the buildings' right will be a wall around a courtyard which will be a little less than first floor height. What is the likelyhood of a building of this type being freestanding? Basically, I have only a sliver on the left in which to get another shopfront etc. constructed if 'freestanding' looks too weird...
Cheers

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 06:32 PM UTC
Nice - the work is paying off.
What are your plans for the roof - slate tile?
The elevations are very nice and easy to view. Nicely done.
Are you going to wrap the corner blocks around the right corner?
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 06:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What are your plans for the roof - slate tile?

Gday Scott
Yep, slate for the roof, and not sure if cladding for the dormer window... Some spouting for the front, and a downpipe down the right edge to groundlevel...

Quoted Text

Are you going to wrap the corner blocks around the right corner?

Yep, I'm pretty sure that they are in a sense 'reversed' on the next wall line, with the longer and shorter stones opposing the previous...
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 06:41 PM UTC
Here i am , the Slate-man :-)

You certainly don't call this little piece a roof ? :-)

Seriously, Brad, as i just experiencing while covering over 1 meter of roof, the way i showed here on my last update facilitates the task greatly and your roof would be done in a few hours work.
If you want to so it with this style of slates, take a look again at this update if you want , i don't know if you have the miter cutter at hand, but that's the way to go.
In the meantime i also found out, that by cutting the stripes longer, up to 15 cm, the bending is not so developed and i am actually posing up to 10 slates in one piece.

If you want, take a look again, and if you need some more explanations, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers to Australia

Claude

HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
hehe Claude, I thought you'd like my reference to you
thanks for the reminder on your thread; will look into it...
Re-read my last post and didn't understand my question much myself, so
they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Here is the layout, and as you can see, it kind of needs another building to its left? But due to the angle of the base there really is only a sliver
on which to build!
Maybe another wall?
There will be a tank on the left end of the street,
facing the right, leaving the sewer cover and the bench/wall area as a focal point...
Some suggestions for the close side of the street would be great... Maybe a street light?
On the right side of the bench will be a small knee high concrete conical bollard,(say that 10 times quick!) where the sidewalk ends and there is only curbing stones running along the wall...
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 08:01 PM UTC
Definitely not another wall on the left of the building.
If you don't put a tree behind the existing wall, i would like to see a tree here.

What is the close side of the street?The little empy place on the foreground on your last picture?

Street light would be ok, a kiosk perhaps, or only some grass would be enough also i think.

Your house side would be perfect for a high billboard ( the kind painted on the wall). That would be a cool touch, like a big Michelin or Pastis ad.

Cheers
Claude

kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi Brad,
Bloody hell, that looks bonzer mate.Everything looks very well layed out and your exstensive planning is really making this dio come together a treat.For the left handside of the building,i'm inclined to agree with Claude,another building might look out of place.I do have an idea though mate,what about a PE fence on the left there with some fine trees pushed up against the inside fence?Set D-15 Fence type A from Aber would look great with these added behind it:(clickable thumbnail btw!)

I've got stacks of this fine trees,so if you need any at all PM me mate.
Good luck with the rest digger;)
Cheers,Shay

garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hi Bradley

Well, this is a really fine effort!. I like the building design and construction. Just an aside to your question, this building could definitley stand alone (classic French rural village buildings were often of this narrow design), so no problem with that. I like Shay's idea of the fence and trees. Perhaps even a low stone wall, enclosing a garden from the (unseen) house next door with a few paraphinalia and garden ' bits'.

Excellent, looking good and cant wait to see more!

You have a knack for these!

Regards
Garth
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hey Brad,

Ohh what a joli petit café !
I agree with claude, need nothing on the left ! Normandy is not metropole area, some grass will make the deal, or some "enseigne" like "coupe miel café" (that's could one translation of your pseudo, but it means nothing). :-) :-)
Excellent work, very nice !
Best,
Julien
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 07:37 AM UTC
Brad, that is looking absolutely superb! Maybe you ought to an article on building buildings?
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hi Bradley,
you house look great!! I like the dormer window itīs nice
about your question I think as previous oppinions here need a iron ornace fence with a tree inside. Another thing that can be good is a billboard painted in the wall.: Dubonnet, Michelin, Pernod all these companies and a lot of others make very good and colorful paints in walls
best whises
CArlos
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 01:28 PM UTC
thanks for the feedback.. You have some good ideas here...
Claude, the same thought about a large advertising sign had crossed my mind also... would be good to cover a flat expanse with a splash of colour... As for your thoughts about the empty closer side of the road, I actually forgot that it would have footpath pavers which would cover the whole raised area, so the grass idea, although favourable, is now out!
Shay, the iron fence is a good idea too, as well as the trees behind... this could be expanded to a hedge, maybe?
Garth, thanks for your kind words... I like the neighbouring garden aspect! Have to nut out a decision here...
Julien, thanks for the info regarding the stand alone buildings in Normandy... May need your help for translation of a good name!
Karl, glad you like it, but until I actually finish something I think it'd be quite the unfinished article...
Carlos, I think you have tipped the scales regarding the iron fence... Maybe brick foundation with iron bars above? As for the billboard, I think it is definitely a goer!
Cheers
Brad
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 02:44 PM UTC
G'day Brad.
Looking bloody amazing mate, really enjoying seing these progress along mate.
Bunnings over here let us down, no Cork to be seen.
Keep us posted on how these are coming along mate!!
Cheers

P.s. how great is it that the sun is shining once again, 30 today, starting to remember what its like to live in Australia.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 03:33 AM UTC
Bradley, those buildings are turning out nice.
 _GOTOTOP