_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Info on Panzers of the 12th SS HJ Panzer Div.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC
I would like to know about the Panzer IV J's of the 12th SS HJ Panzer division. I have looked at all of my reference material on the Panzer IV J's in Normandy and can't seem to get any of my questions answered. So I will ask you guys. Did all the Panzer IV J's of the 12th SS HJ div. have zimmerite on them in Normandy? If not which Battlion and or Company did not have zimmerite?
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 10:04 AM UTC
http://home.att.net/~SSPzHJ/Index.html

try that link they have some good info there.

Later
Hawkeye
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hope that this model will get the first airing here at Armorama!
How long has it taken???
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 02:10 AM UTC
Wolf-Leader...I have 2 books that show the HJ panzers with zimmerit. One is called "Steel Rain" and the other is "Panzers and the battle of Normandy". Both have excellent pictures of the 12th SS. Most of the tanks had zimmerit and complete side skirts (turret and hull). Most had identification numbers hand painted on the turret skirts in black outlined in white. It appears that many of the HJ tankers had the names of girlfriends painted in white on various places on the tank. Most noticeably on the cuppola and on the armored driver's visor. Many of the crews wore the U-boat leather uniforms. Hope this helps you. Jeff
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hi

I have those two books too.
I highly recommend the Panzers in the Battle of Normandy. It's an excellent reference source, with Order of Battle type info, maps, eyewitness accounts and LOTS of good photos. The photos are organized by regiment etc. at the end of the chapters in some cases.

Cheers
Andy
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi Wolf ...Yes they would all have zimmerit in Normandy ,since they only stopped putting the stuff on in October 1944....but ..Are you sure they are J's?? They could be H's or a mix of both I guess. (Made you stop and think there didn't I) lol

Richard
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Wolf ...Yes they would all have zimmerit in Normandy ,since they only stopped putting the stuff on in October 1944....but ..Are you sure they are J's?? They could be H's or a mix of both I guess. (Made you stop and think there didn't I) lol

Richard

Hi Wolf-Leader, "thebear " makes a very good point & is correct. I also have all the book's that were mentioned and a few other's on 12.SS Panzer Div.HJ, AND the Pz. IV's in the photo's are Ausf H's with Zimmerit. These tanks were from their II./12.SS Panzer Regiment. The I./12.SS Pz.Reg was equipped with Panthers. Now I'm not saying that there couldn't have been any J's, BUT I HAVEN'T YET TO SEE ANY AUSF J's IN ANY NORMANDY PHOTO'S THAT BELONGED TO 12.SS PZ.REG. THE MAJORITY OF PZ.IV's IN NORMANDY WERE AUSF H's.

- ralph
CharlesLatham
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 10:34 AM UTC
According to Zetterling, the 12th had 17 pz IV`s 'dispatched' to Normandy 8 July, 1944. These could have been J`s since production began in June. If indeed any J`s did take part in Normandy, it would have been late in the campaign.
As stated by others, I`ve never seen photo evidence of a J belonging to the 12th in Normandy.

http://w1.183.telia.com/~u18313395/normandy/
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 12:10 PM UTC
wolf-leader CHECK YOUR PM

- ralph
 _GOTOTOP