_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman III NW Europe from Tarawa M4a2?
RedHornet
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:20 AM UTC
Would it be possible to make a NW Europe Sherman III from the new DML M4A2 Tarawa? Or is it way out of left field to think about?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:28 AM UTC
Whyv would you want to if there's a seperate Sherman III kit coming out in a few weeks?
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC
Yes, it is possible. However, you would need to add British fittings to it such as fire extinguisher bottles, sandshields, stowage boxes, etc. These should be available on the upcoming Sherman III.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whyv would you want to if there's a seperate Sherman III kit coming out in a few weeks?

Why? Why not? Maybe he wants a Sherman III with welded driver hoods in NWE instead of cast ones.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As Chris noted Jim, the welded hood M4A2s were used by many combatants besides the "Tarawa" option. I can distinctly recall photos of UK and French armored units having the welded hood M4A2s as depicted in the DML "Tarawa" kit. The impending DML Sherman III is, in actuality, a cast hooded 75mm M4A2, along with many British specific fittings. It was a common type used by UK units, but not surprisingly, was sent Lend Lease to the Soviets.

From either DML kit, you can build Soviet, UK or French tanks almost OOB. How about them apples!

The M4A2 75mm 60 degree gun tank was a very ubiquitous AFV!
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
I answered this question a few days ago and the answer is yes. Many of that config served in the NWE campaign with Brits and French (and I'm fairly certain Canadians).
Here is my post regarding this:
Quote:

Hi Al,

Would you know which British Units used this version in NWE? That would be most helpful.

Cheers

Alan

I probably wont be able to be absolute as I'm sure all three types of M4A2 hull probably served in the same formation. 8 and 27 AB had them in NWE and I posted a reply on ML with pic references with units where known. They show up in Sicily alonside DV and cast hood variants. I believe most of the Sicilian ones are 46 RTR some had WE 210 tracks.
Brit Tanks in Normandy
pges 52,53 & 56 (8 AB)
pges 62,137,143,153 &162 27 & 8 AB

THey appear to all have been in 8 and 27 AB with other M4A2 variants incl DV.

From my ML post:

Brit Tanks of WW2 vol 1 - Concord
page 11

Images of War - Sherman Tank
Cover, 35, 38,58,60,61,70, 73 & 121. There is also one knocked out and snow covered being inspected by a GI in what looks like the Ardennes. Unsure if this is one of the Brit ones issued to the US to make up losses.

The book Armour Photo Gallery #11 M4A2 Sherman Pt 1 has photos of New Zealand (Italy) Brit 4 AB (Palestine) and Polish ones (Italy). It is an excellent reference for the M4A2 including the Sherman III.

The book mentioned is an absolutely first class reference for the M4A2 but bear in mind it used museum exhibits alonside TM stuff. The Groundpower on the M4a2 is pretty useful too.

Cheers
Al
 _GOTOTOP