_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Build Features For Beginners? Useful or not?
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:28 AM UTC
Its been brought up a few times through book reviews and the usual forum thread. There appears to be more books catered for the intermediate to the more advance modellers.

So what about articles for the rest of us?

It was this question that got me thinking. Since the Big A is still encouraging members to write up build features, would any of you find an OOTB build feature useful?

What would you expect to see in a beginners build feature?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:19 PM UTC
Firstly, define beginners.
Is it ........ somebody who has never built a model, or somebody who has built 4 or 5 models and is interested enough to search the web to find sites like this. Somebody who has been into warhammer for 15 years and now want to build a tank, a very experienced aircraft builder who suddenly found an interest in all things military or even somebody who built as a child/teenager and hasnīt built for maybe 20 years.
All of the group above have different expectations and have different levels of experience.

Building OOTB does not exclusively mean its a beginner standard. Lots of modellers choose to model OOTB by choice, and the fact that no aftermarket items are used, does not mean inferior modelling. Ive seen what OOTB has shown in competition, and it surpasses most advanced results. Also, Dragons panser IV could be built OOTB, but would hardly be considered towards beginners either.

There are great threads running at the moment geared towards beginners where modellers can build alongside, ask any question they feel appropriate, and get the help and information they need. Aiming at beginners only, is a lot of work and responsibility. The more mundane parts of modelling are the factors under the spotlight.

Labelling your own build standard and to whom your feature is geared towards, is the only thing, I think you should consider avoiding. Build the model you want, your own way, add in your tips and opinions, and those interested will read.

PvtMutt
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 614 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
Jeremy:

I think I can speak for the folks that have built models in the
distant past. Its been fifty years since I built my last
kit and my mind is like a spounge,not that I can
remember what i've read all over the net,it has helped
me find my way somewhat.

The basic building of a kit,cleaning up the flash,the sprue
nubs and putting the glue only where it belongs is still
the same. BUT.

The finish is an all new ball game now,that's were the
rub comes knockin. There are so many opinions,techniques
and products used now it blows us new guys away.

And the cost of finishing products is out of sight compared
to what it was years ago, makes experimenting a pocket
killer.

I don't want to even talk about aftermarket goodies,you know
those things you don't really need but you feel you've just got
to have for a topnotch model.

Example: Just this week I ordered a tank kit($20.00)
Replacement tracks--------------------40.00
PE set---------------------------------------32.00
Turned barrel-----------------------------16.00
Paint----------------------------------------12.00
total $120.00
Tax and Shipping not encluded.

$120.00,The point being why Step by Step post are so
important to me. That's too much money to throw around
not to get it somewhat right the first time.

I know its got to be a lot of extra trouble for a builder to
do a SBS but I could kiss the people that do it and kill
those that get halfway through and stop.

Well i've rambled on enough.
.....Tony.....
PS: God Bless the PROs that give us help when ask.
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 07:12 PM UTC
Jeremy:

Good question.

I think any build feature would be welcomed. I personally have built about 5 models but I always want to improve. I like to read other peoples builds also to find out where pitfalls are and how to fix / avoid them.

Keep on modelling

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hi all, Henks got a group build going at the moment for beginers returned modelsand guys who just need help(like me)its called back to basics
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
Beginners build features would be a great idea, I think. Maybe we could have people pick a kit, and have a new build feature put up every month. Start off with a simple beginners kit like the Tamiya M41, a pretty fast and easy first build and go from there.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
good feedback so far. The only reason i ask is because i was planning on doing a build feature on my current Tamiya Challenger 2 project and done primarily OOB so was wondering what would people look for in there.

I was only going to cover assembling, painting and weathering only. I would have left out scratch building, massive PE and AM add ons as well as the base.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 07:05 AM UTC
That's exactly what I'd look for in a beginner's build feature. I want to know how to build what comes out of the box, the AM stuff and scratchbuilding is for when I feel like I know what I'm doing. lol
MusicOn
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 04:50 PM UTC
An OOTB article would be great! As a beginner, so many times I'll read an article that states something like "post shading, highlights, and washes were accomplished in the usual manner." But that's where I want detail!

I understand that part of the fun of this hobby is finding one's own techniques, but the beginner needs a "cookbook" approach from which to branch out.

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

An OOTB article would be great! As a beginner, so many times I'll read an article that states something like "post shading, highlights, and washes were accomplished in the usual manner." But that's where I want detail!

Would you consider a good article one that has alot of photos documenting each step?
WELLY
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 05:31 PM UTC

I think that this sound a very good idea, it would be even greater if it could be included in the forum so that people can view,look and give advise were required.

This may work best has a step by step picture format way of building, this would mean a lot of photo and note to go with it. It could also be suggested that everybody gives a go but some how the models are co-ordinated so that the model are not built on a regular thing.

I would be willing to give this a try but would not know were to post it

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be willing to give this a try but would not know were to post it

Definitely do it if you have the time and submit it as a feature. Each feature would have a corresponding thread to it anyway where comments can be placed.

My only concern is whether some of the things im doing now is considered bad habit and therefore should not be shared out.
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:38 PM UTC
I picked up modeling seven months ago after a 20 year hiatus, and I've got to say, I like this idea.

Im lucky enough to have a friend who has seriously been into model building for 30+ years who has been kind enough to help me out along the way, but I still get the vast majority of my knowledge from this site.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 02:48 PM UTC
I might give it a go and try my hand at a build feature. I might just get the likes of Vinnie or Jim to vet through it before placing it up.
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Somebody who has been into warhammer for 15 years and now want to build a tank, ...

I fit that bill exactly :-)

I recon that some Beginner's built features would be appreciated. An OOB kit with maybe a few simple AM. But most important those built should be well documented with lots of pictures and detailed how-to.

By how-to I mean replace the "Use the usual wash and drybrush" with how you actually did it.

I may be tempted to start something like this. A total "old" noobie building his first tank from start to finish. Could be interesting #:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My only concern is whether some of the things im doing now is considered bad habit and therefore should not be shared out.

I remember an article by MIG a few years ago where he stated that he enjoys articles by all modellers ... beginners as much as masters.
He said (something along the lines of) that he learns as much from beginners, because of some of the things they attempt to do or by the mistakes they make, as he learns from masters.
Every modeller has a unique set of influences, develops differently and evolves skills that suit their style and ability. Your bad habits could possibly influence some new future technique. You never know!!!!

Continuing from my previous post .....
Please write your feature, but dont limit yourself to strictly OOB or aim it at a certain audience. If you feel like adding a small piece for some reason, explain why, how you did it and show how it turned out. This is the magic of modelling, and what makes the model individual and unique. Beginners will appreciate this as much as showing how you glue two pieces together. Remember there is no right way or wrong way. Its what works for you. Its your feature and people want to read how you do it.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 03:44 AM UTC
So many modellers, so many models.

It is obvious that many would like to see articles and features dealing with the nitty-gritty of building, painting and weathering. Right from basics up. This is a good thing, as it shows that there are plenty of new modellers entering, or returning to, the hobby. It also shows that the people that join Armorama are not just looking at the pictures, but want to actively improve their skills. Well, you are in the right place.

There are however a few things to consider.

1. Step by Step build features.
How detailed to go? A full feature along the lines of "part A3 glues to part C4" from start to finish will be incredibly long, and notwithstanding the interest, will be rather boring. After all, most basic building tasks are 'simple' ad repettitive. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the newbees, but from an article point that would not be the most 'interesting' to read. For example, in my build feature on the new Puma, I only went into detail on items which I felt where more complex, or where the instructions were rather obscure.
A true step by step may be better suited as a individual project, perhaps with the help of an 'on-line buddy' , using the forum to show progress and to share tips etc.
An added complication would be the choice of model. Axis or Allied? Tank or Softskin? Mono or Camo paint? you get the drift.

2. Time
Writing a full build feature takes a lot of time and effort. This is not a problem, as it is an enjoyable task, but real life (work, family) tend to get in the way . I only mention this as people are asking for build features on loads of models, which is understandable, but the scoop for many of these is limited by time constraints. We very much want your features submitted, and they don't have to be 'all out master pieces', but therein lies the problem with this specific request. You want step by steps for beginners, so it's obviuos that you can't submitt them.

3. Indeed, define 'beginner' (thanks Frank )
When I started the 'Basic training' group build ( which is an on-going group build, join in when you want... ) they idea was to start right at the beginning, a simple kit, OOB, painted with brushes. All good and well, but then it starts, modeller A adds some PE, modeller B gets out the air-brush, Modeller C does some scratch build alterations.... :-) , and whilst that is fine by me, it does perhaps put off the 'real' beginner, who looks at that and suddenly feels that that's what you should be doing. And don't get me wrong, I don't have a dig at anybody, but it shows the problem with writting a 'beginners step by step'. Back to what I said earlier, a true step by step is boring, both to read and to write. Let alone the pictures.

I know that many moons ago the idea of 'mentors' ( I prefer the term Buddy though) was mentioned, where a newby could use PM or email to work with a more experienced member to learn on a one to one basis. That way you can build the kit you are interested in, and will get the relevant help you seek. Posting progress would be optional, but highly encouraged.

And another thing, just ask. Nobody bites, and the combined knowledge and skills on this site are quite frankly stagering. Not to mention the willingness of members to share their knowledge... That is what really makes Armorama the superb site it is. We may not always be 100% historicaly accurate, but we don't run you off for it...we are here to have fun and build models

Cheers
Henk
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC
I want to thank everyone for their feedback-requests, as it gives me a better idea where to improve my articles.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

want to thank everyone for their feedback-requests, as it gives me a better idea where to improve my articles.

Yes, Grumpy hits a good spot there, I meant to add that to my previous post. Feedback on articles and features is much appreciated. Especialy if there is something you would have like to have seen, but did not find. Like Dave says, it helps us to improve what we give you.

Cheers
Henk
WELLY
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hi to everybody, I think this a great topic,

Just to add a little bit more to this great question,

To define a beginner , could this not be, picking a model that you want to build and starting with what is in the box, without adding any thing extra to it. Adding things is great but sometimes can add cost to the model!!!. Also is there any rule[s] about reviewing and adding features on here, if so i thinh it would be a goodidea for some one to out line them so the modellers that are thinking about reviewing something don't get it wrong in the format way etc...[not the making of the model because i think everybody has ther own way_ has in life]

Hope to see some review etc.... I am going to try over to next few weeks but i have an inportant arrival coming soon our first bady let hope its a boy!!!!!

:-)
armorjunior
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 237 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC
you also should put were you buy your stuff.....

like spackle i dont were to get it...................
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 09:16 AM UTC
The idea of a "Beginner's Build" is one that I would happily watch, follow, and probably learn from. Mere suggestion, to fit the majority of the A's modelers, it to pick a major vehicle from the different nationalities....by this I mean: given WWII....build a Sherman, a T-34, and Tiger OOB. Choose a specific manufacturer (Dragon, Tamiya, Italeri....) and kit. And give a few reasons/pointers as to why this kit was chosen (accuracy, easy of build, cost, et cetera).

As far as defining a "beginner?" I'm guessing you'll get those that have never built an armor model (but have build other models), built a couple, or been away from the hobby (like me) for many years and are now coming back into the fold. I could list dozens of members that this would NOT help, but 100-fold the number that it would (me included). I do know my way around plastic, PE, resin, aluminium, copper, and what not, but.....basics devoted to a "key" model would be nice.

Another option would be doing two at a time....one OOB (at $35) and the other with all the "bells and whistles" (at, as Tony alluded to, $120). Think of it....a Tamiya Tiger being built OOB along side a Tamiya Tiger (same stock #) with Fruil tracks, Jordi barrel, Aber PE.....you get the idea. THAT, Sir, would be one hell of a thread! Not to mention that when building OOB it's pretty much normal styrene glue....BUT....add the AM stuff and you now get into CA glue and accelerators....and stuff. That would get the attention of MANY!!! Show us "newbies" how it's done and show us again how it could be done! It would be a FIRST indeed!

Anyhow, I'd love to see this come about. Patiently, and excitedly, awaiting the results...........

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you also should put were you buy your stuff.....

like spackle i dont were to get it...................

A.J. At ANY hardware store! Lowe's, Home Depot, ACE's, you name it. Spackle is a light weight filler compound for walls. It's good for small areas only...vignettes.... If you're looking at doing something larger, use plaster or "sheetrock" compound.

Mike
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:23 AM UTC
I think a good, well written build article of any skill level would benefit beginners. It doesn't matter if it's OOTB or loaded with AM. The point of the article is the provide detail on your work so that others can learn and dream to achieve. A lot of the techiques are the same for beginners and advanced. The key is a well written article. Anything less and they can just follow the instructions that came with the kit.
 _GOTOTOP